Ocean currents likely to carry oil to Atlantic
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 3, 2010
Update: February 28, 2011 - What happened to the oil?
Detectable amounts never made it to the Atlantic, at least not in an easily visible form on the ocean surface. In this follow-up article we review:
* the difference between a projection and an actual forecast
* the challenges of making short-term projections of natural processes that can act chaotically, such as ocean currents.
June 3, 2010
A detailed computer modeling study released June 3, 2010, indicates that oil from the massive spill in the Gulf of Mexico might soon extend along thousands of miles of the Atlantic coast and open ocean as early as this summer (see http://www2.ucar.edu/news/ocean-curre... ). The modeling results are captured in a series of dramatic animations produced by the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) and collaborators.
The colors represent a dilution factor ranging from red (most concentrated) to beige (most diluted).
The simulations do not make any assumptions about the daily rate or total amount of oil spilled and the dilution factor does not attempt to estimate the actual barrels of oil at any spot. Instead, one unit per day of a liquid "dye tracer" is injected in the model at the spill site (injected continuously over the period April 20 through June 20). The animation on this page shows possible scenarios of what might happen to dye released in the upper 65 feet of ocean at the spill site. The dilution factor depicts how dye released at the site of the spill will be progressively diluted as it is transported and mixed by ocean currents. For example, areas showing a dilution factor of 0.01 would have one-hundredth the concentration of oil present at the spill site.
The animation is based on a computer model simulation, using a virtual dye, that assumes weather and current conditions similar to those that occur in a typical year. It is one of a set of six scenarios (see http://www2.ucar.edu/news/oil-spill-a... ) that simulate possible pathways the oil might take under a variety of oceanic conditions. Each of the six scenarios shows the same overall movement of oil through the Gulf to the Atlantic and up the East Coast. However, the timing and fine-scale details differ, depending on the details of the ocean currents in the Gulf. (Visualization by Tim Scheitlin and Mary Haley, NCAR; based on model simulations.)
A Google Earth visualization was released on June 17, 2010, with a 0.0005 concentration cutoff. The YouTube version is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DS6sm...
Standard YouTube License
- 3:24 AP Exclusive: Scuba Diving in the Gulf Oil Spillby Associated PressFeatured 189,826
- BP, plc 203 videos10K
- 1:14 Ocean currents and oil spill - Google Earth version - 0.0005+ concentrationsby ncarucar 44,352 views
- 0:53 Distant star's inner secrets revealed by sound wavesby ncarucar 16,198 views
- 16:33 Introducing HIAPER - the NSF/NCAR Gulfstream V Research Aircraftby AtmosNews - Air • Planet • People 13,067 views
- 1:24 Parting the waters, Part 1: The physics of a land bridgeby AtmosNews - Air • Planet • People 629,157 views
- 6:23 Scientists forbidden to tell masses about the Gulf of Mexico BP oil spillby Search4TruthReality 150,428 views
- 4:38 First Amendment Has been Suspendedby sharky734 453,535 views
- 59 videos Play all LANL Scienceby LosAlamosNationalLab
- 9:39 GULF OIL SPILL - THE REAL STORY Part 1 of 2by rocksiphone 43,951 views
- 1:22:06 The Exodus Revealed - Search for the Red Sea Crossingby mtbike61384's channel 38,338 views
- 10:37 THE SHORT FILM BP DOESN'T WANT YOU TO SEE.by OlmosProductions 256,399 views
- 1:15 BP oil spill cap in action: New underwater video of Gulf leakby RussiaToday 211,915 views
- 1:10 Wildlife Apocalypse: Video of Gulf birds, fish caught in BP oil spillby RussiaToday 268,122 views
- 9:57 3-19-11 Update & Matt Simmons: "Theres another leak, much bigger, 5 to 6 miles away"by jim bo 139,725 views
- 10:06 Oil Spill in the Apocalypse ?by mhfm1 420,800 views
- 2:04 The REAL REASON Behind the BP Oil Spill in the Gulf of Mexico - 2010by JogBird 493,447 views
- 15:44 BP Oil Spill: Kindra Arnesen Venice LA Needs to Evacuateby Fluxview, USA 192,950 views
- 1:04 Arrest For Filming Oil Spill, BY BP CONTRACTORS: BP's Rules, NOT OURS [A Third Of The Waters]by HorseofPaulRevere 112,022 views
- 5:53 There's another BP oil spill?by RT America 27,233 views
- 1:15 'Top Kill' LIVE feed: BP says oil spill stoppedby RT 294,052 views
- 3:35 Underwater video of oil gushing into Gulf of Mexicoby EnergyBoom1 764,637 views
- Loading more suggestions...