Uploaded on Oct 8, 2010
My attempt to shoot a 3D video from an RC airplane (Super Cub) by mounting two 808 car keys micro camera to the wing with scotch tape.
This first attempt is not very, successful and is posted to highlight the problems with such a setup:
1. Wings are too flexible to serve as a mount for 3D shooting. Wings flapping leads to ghosting.
2. Camera time sync may be a problem (leads to ghosting as well).
3. Bright contrast of the sky / land causes exposure jumps. Need better piloting to always "look" at the structures.
4. Camera separation needs to be larger to pronounce the 3D effect.
5. Shooting in the evening after the sunset produces dark videos.
6. Kansas is flat. Well, that's not a solvable problem, since I wouldn't fly my plane in places that aren't flat (I had enough fun getting it off a tree *once*).
So, I'm hoping to resolve problems 1-5 to produce decent videos. The camera output is better than you see (compression artifacts), and the camera also performs much better when there's enough light.