President Obama on Creating an Economy Built to Last
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 21, 2012
Facebook it: https://my.barackobama.com/obamanatovid
Tweet it: https://my.barackobama.com/obamanatot...
Tumblr it: https://my.barackobama.com/obamanatot...
President Obama responds to questions during a press conference at the 2012 Chicago NATO Summit.
"Well, first of all I think Cory Booker is an outstanding mayor. He's doing great work in Newark and obviously helping to turn that city around. And I think it's important to recognize that this issue is not a, quote, distraction. This is part of the debate that we're going to be having in this election campaign about how do we create an economy where everybody from top to bottom, folks on Wall Street and folks on Main Street, have a shot at success, and if they're working hard and they're acting responsibly, that they're able to live out the American dream.
Now, I think my view of private equity is that it is -- it is set up to maximize profits and that's a healthy part of the free market. That's - that's part of the role of a lot of business people. That's not unique to private equity, and as I think my representatives have said repeatedly, and I will say today, I think there are folks who do good work in that area, and there are times where they identify the capacity for the economy to create new jobs or new industries. But understand that their priority is to maximize profits. And that's not always going to be good for communities or businesses or workers.
And the reason this is relevant to the campaign is because my opponent, Governor Romney, his main calling card for why he thinks he should be president is his business experience. He's not going out there touting his experience in Massachusetts. He's saying,' I'm a business guy and I know how to fix it,' and this is his business.
And when you're president, as opposed to the head of a private equity firm, then your job is not simply to maximize profits. Your job is to figure out how everybody in the country has a fair shot. Your job is to think about those workers who get laid off and how are we paying them for their retraining? Your job is to think about how those communities can start creating new clusters so that they can attract new businesses. Your job as president is to think about how do we set up a equitable tax system so that everybody's paying their fair share that allows us then to invest in science and technology and infrastructure, all of which are going to help us grow.
And so, if your main argument for how to grow the economy is, 'I knew how to make a lot of money for investors,' then you're missing what this job is about. It doesn't - it doesn't mean you weren't good at private equity, but that's not what my job is as president.
My job is to take into account everybody, not just some. My job is to make sure that the country is growing not just now, but ten years from now and twenty years from now. And so, to repeat, this is not a distraction. This is what this campaign's going to be about, is: what is a strategy for us to move this country forward, in a way where everybody can succeed? And that means I've got to think about those workers in that video just as much as I'm thinking about folks who have been much more successful."
"What I would say is, is that Mr. Romney is responsible for the proposals he's putting forward for how he says he's going to fix the economy, and if the main basis for him suggesting he can do a better job, is his track record as the head of a private equity firm, then both the upsides and the downsides are worth examining."
Standard YouTube License
- 16:57 The Road We've Traveledby BarackObamadotcom 2,569,081 views
- 39:05 President Barack Obama's remarks at the Ready to Go Rally in Columbus, Ohioby BarackObamadotcom 296,742 views
- 7:17 Forward.by BarackObama.com 986,435 views
- 53:17 Two Choices: President Obama Sets Out His Vision for the Economyby BarackObamadotcom 72,007 views
- 3:17 Blueprint for an America Built to Last: President Obama's Osawatomie Speechby BarackObamadotcom 45,730 views
- 8:52 Dinner with Barack: Two Teachers, an Army Veteran, a Small Business Owner, and The Presidentby BarackObama.com 310,428 views
- 1:02 Goby BarackObama.com 1,692,443 views
- 13:03 First Lady Michelle Obama's remarks at the Ready to Go Rallyby BarackObama.com 89,732 views
- 6:07 Romney Economics: Bankruptcy and Bailouts at GST Steelby BarackObamadotcom 413,405 views
- 3:30 The Story of the Affordable Care Act: From an Unmet Promise to the Law of the Landby BarackObama.com 130,602 views
- 2:35 Happy Mother's Dayby BarackObamadotcom 387,757 views
- 4:44 Jim Messina: April Fundraising & Paths to 270 Updateby BarackObamadotcom 12,866 views
- 2:14 The President and First Lady Announce the 2012 Launch of Veterans and Military Families for Obamaby BarackObamadotcom 35,935 views
- 2:03 Steelby BarackObamadotcom 538,790 views
- 0:16 President Obama's Record on Jobs - Obama for America 2012 Adby BarackObama.com 243,716 views
- 2:35 Nurses for Obamaby BarackObama.com 31,550 views
- 0:45 State of the Union 2012: "That Means Women Should Earn Equal Pay for Equal Work"by BarackObamadotcom 11,976 views
- 2:03 The Road We've Traveled Official Trailer - Obama for America 2012by BarackObama.com 674,093 views
- 0:39 Keeping His Word: Women's Healthby BarackObama.com 28,114 views
- 5:46 Dinner with Barack and Michelleby BarackObama.com 365,019 views