Secret to the Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Dec 17, 2012
Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito, the guys of Baked in Red Hook, Brooklyn, have the ultimate recipe for dynamite chocolate chip cookies, adding pretzels, oats and espresso for a next-level treat. Subscribe for more chef secrets: http://goo.gl/Z7lbS
COWBOY COOKIES RECIPE
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups rolled oats
14 tbsp (1 3/4 sticks) unsalted butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp instant Espresso powder
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup salted pretzel sticks, broken into tiny pieces but not crushed into dust.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add the oats and stir to combine.
In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment , beat the butter and sugars together until smooth and creamy. Add the egg and egg yolk, beating until the mixture looks light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl, add the vanilla, and beat for 5 seconds. Dissolve the espresso powder in 1/4 cup hot water and add it to the bowl, mixing until combined.
Add half of the dry ingredients and mix for 15 seconds. Add the remaining dry ingredients and beat until just incorporated. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and fold in the chocolate chips and ½ cup of the pretzel pieces.
Cover the bowl tightly and refrigerate the dough for at least 4 hours.
Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Use a small ice cream scoop with a release mechanism to scoop out dough in 2 tablespoon-size balls (or use a tablespoon measure) and place the dough balls onto the prepared baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup salted pretzel pieces over the dough balls. Use the palm of your hand to press the dough down lightly; don't smash the cookie-you just want to slightly flatten the ball and push the pretzel pieces into the dough.
Bake for 11 to 13 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through the baking time, until the edges of the cookies are golden brown or just start to darken.
Set the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes to cool. Use a spatula to transfer the cookies on the rack to cool completely. They can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Star Chef Secrets is an unprecedented look inside the kitchens -- and heads -- of the nation's most celebrated chefs. Each week, watch and discover tricks of the trade from culinary masters. Subscribe for more behind-the-scenes cooking advice: http://bit.ly/LJdwnZ
- Partner rating: No mature content (Learn more)
- Star Chef Secrets (formerly 7 Questions in the Kitchen) Season 2 Ep. 14 Released: 01/05/13 Running time: 6:33
Next in Star Chef Secrets (formerly 7 Questions in the Kitchen): Season 2 Episodes
- 5:48 Secrets to Perfect Pasta with Steve Samson and Zach Pollackby Tasted - Subscribe! 13,501 views
- 5:39 Secret to Perfect French Fries with Chef Ludo Lefebvreby Tasted - Subscribe! 31,254 views
- 5:57 Secrets for Using Cast Iron Pans with Michael Santoroby Tasted - Subscribe! 6,034 views
- 5:47 Secrets to the Best Grilled Cheese Ever with Eric Greenspanby Tasted - Subscribe! 49,979 views
- 6:33 Beefed-Up Mac 'n Cheese Meat Pie Recipeby Tasted - Subscribe! 20,890 views
- 7:19 Bacon Donuts AND Bacon Beer with Top Chef's Kevin Gillespieby tasted 19,285 views
- 6:17 The Tay Burger: Towerin' Turkey for Tay Zonday - Burger Labby Tasted - Subscribe! 31,607 views
- 6:33 Smoking Gun Burger Recipe - Burger Labby Tasted - Subscribe! 67,162 views
- 6:04 The Perfect Holiday Party Appetizer with Aimee Olexyby Tasted - Subscribe! 4,132 views
- 5:39 Easy Mozzarella Appetizer with Chef Michael Bowenby Tasted - Subscribe! 7,613 views
- 5:21 Classic Game-Day Foods with Michael Ferraroby tasted 4,761 views
- 10:39 LPS: Cooking with Melanie, Chocolate chip cookiesby Scott Baker 15,079 views
- 1:02 Service at Corey Lee's 2 Michelin Benuby wbpstars.com - fine dining 3,599 views
- 7:42 Oktoberfest Pretzel and Spicy Beer Cheese Recipeby Tasted - Subscribe! 12,089 views
- 9:44 1979 Dodge Little Red Express: The Original Muscle Truck -- BIG MUSCLEby drive 82,446 views
- 3:56 Secret Ingredient Burger Recipeby Tasted - Subscribe! 23,073 views
- 11:26 How to bake a great loaf of homemade bread (Recipe & Technique)by WheeliePete's Channel 239,802 views
- 6:16 Nigella Lawson ... Chocolate Chip Cookies...by IM MR SAXOBEAT!!! :) 42,228 views
- 7:22 Fresh Off The Boat With Eddie Huang: Los Angeles (Part 1/3)by VICE 227,508 views
- 4:46 Ted's Steamed Cheeseburger Reviewby Daym Drops 75,550 views
- Loading more suggestions...