LA's New Crack Epidemic: Sidewalks
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 7, 2013
Ever walk down a Los Angeles city sidewalk? It may feel like climbing the Himalayas.
Tree roots have uplifted many city sidewalks across L.A., turning a quick walk around the neighborhood into a treacherous experience. According to The Los Angeles Times, the city receives about 2,500 claims a year from people who hurt themselves on these cracks.
"People get hurt and people can die from falling down on and hitting their head on the sidewalk," says Los Angeles resident Peter Griswold.
What's the city's solution to this problem? A three-year, $10 million survey of all of the city's sidewalks.
Residents like Griswold say that price tag is too high. He has come up with a plan of his own that involves photographs, GPS devices, and - most importantly - volunteers. Griswold is confident that his ragtag crew of sidewalk cartographers can find and report trouble spots more quickly - and cheaply - than city workers.
"What Peter Griswold is trying to do with volunteers, the advantage that has is that it's decentralized," says Adrian Moore, vice president of research at Reason Foundation, the nonprofit that publishes Reason TV.
Moore grants it may be hard to implement on a large scale but you have to stack that up against the usual way city governments fix local problems. Namely, writing a fat check to a contractor so they don't have to deal with it anymore. Hence, the $10 million.
Moore points out that these uplifted sidewalk cracks are indicative of something bigger: bureaucracy run amok.
"One of the problems bureaucracies have, and LA in particular has, is nobody who manages these departments actually invests the management effort in saying lets be ruthless about prioritizing what's most important," says Moore.
Written and produced by Paul Detrick.
Music by Lee Maddeford.
Approximately 4:23 minutes.
Go to http://www.reason.tv for downloadable versions and subscribe to Reason TV's YouTube Channel to receive automatic updates when new material goes live.
Standard YouTube License
- 27:04 Milton Friedman - Whats wrong with welfare? (Q&A)by BasicEconomics34,821 views
- 12:33 Peter Schiff - Predictions for the Next Decadeby PeterSchiffBlog67,916 views
- 2:01:49 American Drug War: The Last White Hope: Pre Release Cutby TheStraight911Truth501,296 views
- 14:49 Thomas Sowell - Affirmative Actionby LibertyPen23,783 views
- 9:08 Big BangTheory Season 6 Bloopers HDby UsaVine / Fail Channel42,401 views
- 34:46 Charles Murray: Why America is Coming Apart Along Class Linesby ReasonTV27,784 views
- 9:50 Battle for the California Desert: Why is the Government Driving Folks off Their Land?by ReasonTV290,212 views
- 6:04 Why America Should Default and You Should Live Abroad: Q&A with Doug Caseyby ReasonTV32,945 views
- 10:33 Nassim Taleb talks about centralization and debt in US and Europeby Yafawiq7,245 views
- 38:27 Thomas Sowell discusses his newest book, Intellectuals and Raceby HooverInstitution44,713 views
- 14:43 Legend Thomas Sowell On The Occupy Cry Babiesby J. Barnes101,238 views
- 4:46 Thomas Sowell Dismantles Feminism and Racialism in under 5 Minutesby Reading The Score253,929 views
- 36:42 Thomas Sowell -- Dismantling Americaby HooverInstitution89,649 views
- 2:05 Alex Jones Confronts Piers Morgan Backstageby TheAlexJonesChannel359,432 views
- 52:50 Uncommon Knowledge: Thomas Sowell on the Vulgar Pride of Intellectualsby PJ Media75,046 views
- 7:57 Cops Vs. Cameras: The Killing of Kelly Thomas & The Power of New Mediaby ReasonTV161,370 views
- 33:32 Thomas Sowell -- Basic Economicsby HooverInstitution118,173 views
- 7:06 Thomas Sowell - Multiculturalismby LibertyPen29,137 views
- 36:26 Sheriff Mack: Hell NO to Gun Control!by TheAlexJonesChannel107,995 views
- 7:08 Thomas Sowell - Obama's Visionby LibertyPen210,580 views
- Loading more suggestions...