This video is unavailable.
Inside IRAN's underground billion-dollar art gallery
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 15, 2008
It's one of the finest collections of modern art anywhere in the world, but you won't find it in New York or Paris.
Dozens of works by the likes of Pablo Picasso, Andy Warhol and Jackson Pollock — together valued at roughly $3 billion — are locked in a basement in Tehran.
Only a handful of westerners have had an up-close look at the underground archives in Tehran's Museum of Contemporary Art. ABC News was granted exclusive access inside the vault that holds a priceless collection Iranian authorities choose to keep locked away.
What was revealed was astonishing: a series of paintings by Picasso; a wall's worth of pop art by Roy Lichtenstein; Warhol portraits of Jackie Onassis, Mick Jagger and Marilyn Monroe; a Diego Rivera self portrait; and a painting many consider to be the best Jackson Pollock outside of North America.
The collection was supposed to be a gift to the Iranian people. It was assembled by the Shah of Iran and his wife using public funds during the oil boom of the 1970s. Tehran's Museum of Contemporary Art was inaugurated in 1977, designed to be one of the world's landmark modern art institutions, with an international collection worthy of that ambition.
But just months later came the Islamic Revolution. The Shah was deposed, Ayatollah Khomeinei was became the country's leader, and in the Revolutionary, anti-American climate the museum's western art was banished to the basement.
Why aren't the pieces shown to the public? The reasons are a mix of ideology and practicality.
The collection is huge and the museum small. Museum director Dr. Habibollah Sadeghi, himself a painter appointed by conservative President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad, says there is no space to properly put the works on display.
Others question whether the museum could properly protect the valuable pieces from theft or damage were they displayed openly.
Conservative Muslim ideology — a powerful governing force in Iran — has played a similarly forceful role in keeping the pieces underground. Aside from the anti-Western overtones of Revolutionary Iran many of the pieces are considered too racy for a conservative Muslim society. When some of the collection briefly went on display in 2005 Andre Derain's "Golden Age," a 1905 painting of female nudes, was notably absent. Also hidden was the centerpiece of a Frances Bacon painting triptych. The center panel could be taken as homoerotic, showing two naked men asleep in bed.
There are plans to display the collection permanently once museum space is expanded, Sadeghi said. If those plans materialize — full-time public access to view the pieces — it would fulfill the dreams of art lovers worldwide. "In two or three years we can improve the museum and have a permanent exhibition," said Sadeghi, adding that the museum is hoping to buy more Western works in the coming years to fill out the collection.
Standard YouTube License
- 8:36 Iran "موزه ماشين National Car Museum of Iran"by Bahram9821 39,476 views
- 19:44 Avelina Lésper - Conferencia magistralby Aldo Nadezh Hinojosa 19,039 views
- 4:54 How To Find Love In Tehranby HelloIranTV 1,654,572 views
- 4:25:28 Presidential Debate in IRAN (6/7/2013) - Monazere 92 سومین مناظره انتخاباتی کاندیداهای ریاست جمهوریby Khabarkesh 43,891 views
- 58:29 La burbuja del arte contemporáneoby Christopher Jordi Lara 39,249 views
- 20:49 Painters & modern Iranian paintings in Art Galleriesby Agaahi 5,921 views
- 7:59 Museum of Contemporary Art, Chief Curator Michael Darlingby FearNoArtChicago 23,371 views
- 0:56 persian sodiers in garisonby mardetanhaa 265,702 views
- 8:34 How to Stretch Fine Art Canvas Painting Gallery Wrapby karattexas 437,265 views
- 54:40 Arte Contemporaneoby Luciana Ponte 36,323 views
- 5:50 Sotheby's Contemporary Art Evening Sale: Andy Warhol's Coca-Cola  [Large Coca-Cola], 1962by SothebysTV 14,471 views
- 4:31 Les Dawson - Cissie & Ada - The Art Galleryby gorlestonguy 105,824 views
- 4:02 iran tehran my loveby aminamiens 1,839,564 views
- 2:53 China's contemporary art market bubble has burstby FRANCE 24 English 11,764 views
- 9:49 Singapore Art Galleries Li Fine Arts Oil Painting Lessonby ngwoonlam 黄运南 41,916 views
- 9:21 Louvre museum Paris, Iran music ,neyanban,dance,shanbehzadzadeh,by saeid shanbehzadeh 115,713 views
- 8:57 NYC_The Museum of Modern Art New York Cityby jd wu 51,181 views
- 6:17 Déjà vu - NeXTSTEP vs OS Xby aryanium 574 views
- 2:05 Every Painting in the MoMA on 10 April 2010by chrspck 152,944 views
- 7:45 Iran: Undercover fashion in Iranby 20071305 465,222 views
- Loading more suggestions...