Henri Lansbury Wonder Goal | England U21 4-0 Belgium U21 29/2/12
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 29, 2012
A convincing 4-0 win over Belgium in Boro sees Under-21s back on track.
England Under-21s collected a valuable three points against Belgium here in Middlesbrough to move themselves seven points clear at the top of their UEFA European Championship Qualifying group.
Cheered on by nearly 23,000 fans at the Riverside, England moved a step closer to the Finals in Israel next summer. A brace from Henri Lansbury, one from Steven Caulker and a late Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain penalty gave the Three Lions a comfortable win, which also put to bed Belgium's hopes of overhauling their lead in the table.
With Stuart Pearce away with the Senior Team, Brian Eastick took the reins temporarily, but was very keen to ensure that things stayed the same. What he did want to see change, though, was England's creativity in the final third, after they dominated the game away in Belgium in November, but conceded two late goals to lose the match 2-1.
Victory here would have given England a great chance to reach the Euro 2013 play-offs, with two games to play. And Lansbury gave them the perfect start, swinging in a deep cross-shot from the left flank. It looked promising as soon as it left his right boot and dipped perfectly under the bar to make it 1-0.
He almost grabbed a second from twenty yards five minutes later, but Koen Casteels was at full stretch to push away for a corner.
The visitors weren't keeping quiet, though, and through Thomas Meunier they had their first chance, forcing Jack Butland into a smart save from the Club Brugge man. Winger Ziguy Badibanga also looked lively while the giant figure of Genk forward Christian Benteke almost headed home from close range after a teasing cross from Badibanga.
But it was England who went into the break in control of the game after Caulker doubled their lead on 36 minutes with his first goal for the Under-21s. Lansbury again was involved, this time his corner from the right found Craig Dawson rising at the back post. As has happened often in qualifying, Dawson rose well, winning the header sending it back into the danger zone where the Swansea City defender directed beyond Casteels.
With the second half still young, England went 3-0 up. Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha, who had impressed in training enough this week to earn his Under-21s debut, turned his marker Laurens De Bock in the right channel just inside the box. He pulled back to Lansbury eight yards out and the West Ham midfielder tucked away first time for his fifth of the season.
Gianni Bruno did have a chance to grab Belgium a life-line just after when he got in behind Danny Rose, but the Lille forward screwed his effort wide of Butland's post. Then Benteke was again in the end of a Badibanga cross, this one from the left, but his flick with the outside of his foot sent the ball over the bar from six yards.
As the game moved into injury time Belgium had two chances to grab a consolation. First substitute Lamisha Musonda shot low form close-range, but saw it blocked by Josh McEachran on the line. Then fellow replacement Jens Naessens broke free and just had Butland to beat, but the big keeper was down well to take the ball from his feet.
Chamberlain then wrapped up the win with the final kick of the game, tucking home a penalty. Only Norway, with three games left, can catch England now, but must come to these shores when the action recommences in September.
The official Youtube channel of The England Football team with exclusive news, match highlights, player profiles and more.
To find out more about the England team visit:
England on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Tags: "Henri Lansbury" "lansbury goal" Wonder Goal football soccer England FATV interview England national "football team" European championship qualifier highlights goals U21's Sports Champions "Association Football" premier league
Standard YouTube License
- 1:09 Gerrard, Rooney, Barkley & Lampard shooting practice at England trainingby England Football Official Featured 69,030
- 6:08 England vs Holland 2-3, goals and official highlightsby England Football Official1,053,806 views
- 5:12 England vs Brazil 2-1 Official Goals and Highlights, Wembley 06.02.13 | FATVby England Football Official1,029,277 views
- 5:36 England U21s 4-0 Sweden U21sby England Football Official116,408 views
- 14:49 Top 50 Goals in Football History ● HDby MiiiKEVIDEO229,803 views
- 5:17 England v San Marino 5-0 official highlights: Road To Rio World Cup Qualifierby England Football Official256,110 views
- 5:03 England - Official Football Hi... : England 1-1 Ghanaby England Football Official753,412 views
- 5:47 World Cup 2010 Highlightsby AdamMKeane2,703,561 views
- 4:48 England U21s vs Austria 4-0, Official highlightsby England Football Official53,330 views
- 6:05 FATV Keepy Uppy - Henderson v Chamberlainby fatv581,308 views
- 1:57:06 England vs Brazil - Full Match - February 6th, 2013 - HDby Alan Righi462,306 views
- 1:59 Next Goal Wins! - England U21 training gameby England Football Official237,650 views
- 5:40 England 1-0 Spain Exclusive Wembley Tunnelcam Footage 12/11/11by England Football Official125,098 views
- 4:28 England - Official Highlights - England 1-0 Spain | Official goals and full highlightsby England Football Official233,597 views
- 15:12 England vs USA Highlights World Cup 2010by MekishikojinH192,336 views
- 3:09 Connor Wickham's goal, Danny Rose's red card & brawl amid racist claims (England U21) v Serbia U21by JustFootballVideos60,923 views
- 1:52 England Under 21 Shooting Practice | England U21 v Iceland U21 - 08/11/11by England Football Official290,014 views
- 0:38 Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain Training Goals | Belgium U21 vs England U21 14/11/11by England Football Official719,105 views
- 5:15 Germany 1 England 5 : Goal Frenzyby MothandMoon540,983 views
- 2:27 FATV's Best of England U21's Training 2011by England Football Official131,381 views
- Loading more suggestions...