Henri Lansbury Wonder Goal | England U21 4-0 Belgium U21 29/2/12
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 29, 2012
A convincing 4-0 win over Belgium in Boro sees Under-21s back on track.
England Under-21s collected a valuable three points against Belgium here in Middlesbrough to move themselves seven points clear at the top of their UEFA European Championship Qualifying group.
Cheered on by nearly 23,000 fans at the Riverside, England moved a step closer to the Finals in Israel next summer. A brace from Henri Lansbury, one from Steven Caulker and a late Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain penalty gave the Three Lions a comfortable win, which also put to bed Belgium's hopes of overhauling their lead in the table.
With Stuart Pearce away with the Senior Team, Brian Eastick took the reins temporarily, but was very keen to ensure that things stayed the same. What he did want to see change, though, was England's creativity in the final third, after they dominated the game away in Belgium in November, but conceded two late goals to lose the match 2-1.
Victory here would have given England a great chance to reach the Euro 2013 play-offs, with two games to play. And Lansbury gave them the perfect start, swinging in a deep cross-shot from the left flank. It looked promising as soon as it left his right boot and dipped perfectly under the bar to make it 1-0.
He almost grabbed a second from twenty yards five minutes later, but Koen Casteels was at full stretch to push away for a corner.
The visitors weren't keeping quiet, though, and through Thomas Meunier they had their first chance, forcing Jack Butland into a smart save from the Club Brugge man. Winger Ziguy Badibanga also looked lively while the giant figure of Genk forward Christian Benteke almost headed home from close range after a teasing cross from Badibanga.
But it was England who went into the break in control of the game after Caulker doubled their lead on 36 minutes with his first goal for the Under-21s. Lansbury again was involved, this time his corner from the right found Craig Dawson rising at the back post. As has happened often in qualifying, Dawson rose well, winning the header sending it back into the danger zone where the Swansea City defender directed beyond Casteels.
With the second half still young, England went 3-0 up. Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha, who had impressed in training enough this week to earn his Under-21s debut, turned his marker Laurens De Bock in the right channel just inside the box. He pulled back to Lansbury eight yards out and the West Ham midfielder tucked away first time for his fifth of the season.
Gianni Bruno did have a chance to grab Belgium a life-line just after when he got in behind Danny Rose, but the Lille forward screwed his effort wide of Butland's post. Then Benteke was again in the end of a Badibanga cross, this one from the left, but his flick with the outside of his foot sent the ball over the bar from six yards.
As the game moved into injury time Belgium had two chances to grab a consolation. First substitute Lamisha Musonda shot low form close-range, but saw it blocked by Josh McEachran on the line. Then fellow replacement Jens Naessens broke free and just had Butland to beat, but the big keeper was down well to take the ball from his feet.
Chamberlain then wrapped up the win with the final kick of the game, tucking home a penalty. Only Norway, with three games left, can catch England now, but must come to these shores when the action recommences in September.
The official Youtube channel of The England Football team with exclusive news, match highlights, player profiles and more.
To find out more about the England team visit:
England on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Tags: "Henri Lansbury" "lansbury goal" Wonder Goal football soccer England FATV interview England national "football team" European championship qualifier highlights goals U21's Sports Champions "Association Football" premier league
Standard YouTube License
- 6:08 England - Official Football Highlights | FATV - England 2-3 Holland Goals and Official Highlights 29/2/12by englandFeatured 935,225
- 2:25 Raheem Sterling goals - U21 England training 10-10-12 | FATVby england 167,562 views
- 0:38 Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain Training Goals | Belgium U21 vs England U21 14/11/11by england 680,261 views
- 5:40 England 1-0 Spain Exclusive Wembley Tunnelcam Footage 12/11/11by england 115,873 views
- 6:05 FATV Keepy Uppy - Henderson v Chamberlainby fatv 557,984 views
- 2:57 Arsenal players on their team matesby KylmisTheKalkkuna 225,601 views
- 2:08 Jack Wilshere Wonder Goalby supergunner07 1,563,654 views
- 0:38 Joe Cole Vs Sweden - World Cup 2006by silentalarmactiv8 22,538 views
- 4:15 Christian Benteke | Rising Star | HDby LeandroMoreira98 115,639 views
- 4:40 MNT vs. Italy: Highlights - Feb. 29, 2012by U.S. Soccer 243,898 views
- 2:02 England vs Belgium - Oxlade-Chamberlain, Terry, Carroll, Lescott photoshoot | FATVby england 59,217 views
- 1:59 Next Goal Wins! - England U21 training gameby england 201,952 views
- 5:17 England v San Marino 5-0 Official Match Highlights & Goals 12/10/12by england 241,140 views
- 0:38 Chris Smalling and Klaas-Jan Huntelaar England vs Holland (MUST WATCH)by 1067s 89,195 views
- 2:12 Wilfried Zaha - 'He's Just Too Good For You'by SoccerCoachRes 221,880 views
- 3:09 Connor Wickham's goal, Danny Rose's red card & brawl amid racist claims (England U21) v Serbia U21by JustFootballVideos 59,106 views
- 1:52 England Under 21 Shooting Practice | England U21 v Iceland U21 - 08/11/11by england 253,894 views
- 4:47 England U21 v Serbia U21 Official Match Highlights & Goals 12/10/12by england 137,788 views
- 1:42 the deadly 5- shooting practiceby drsh08 77,394 views
- 5:36 England U21s 4-0 Sweden U21sby england 109,264 views
- Loading more suggestions...