Where 2012, Leah Busque, "Location, Social, and Mobile"
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 4, 2012
Think back 10 to 15 years ago, there was probably a kid in your neighborhood that you could pay a couple bucks to wash your car or mow your lawn. We've lost that sense of community over the years because the age of the internet has siloed us. With the social networking in full force, that is changing. Social, location, and mobile technologies are creating a meaningful foundation to connect a neighborhood both on and offline. Technology has finally caught up to human behavior, and we are able to use the internet to get off the internet and build a strong community together. Leah will discuss how these technology trends are paving the way for new marketplace businesses and why they are so important to the success of these models.
A true visionary, Leah originated the phrase, "service networking," a now industry-wide term describing the productive and service power of a web-based social networked community. In the fall of 2008, while trying to figure out how to juggle dinner out with her husband, Kevin, and buying dog food for her 100-pound yellow labrador retriever, Kobe, Leah's flash of inspiration resulted in her registering the RunMyErrand.com domain name from her iPhone, and mapping the entire business model in her head prior to their meal. Eighteen months later, the company is flourishing, and has expanded and evolved into TaskRabbit.com.
In 2001, Leah graduated magna cum laude from Sweet Briar College, earning a Bachelors of Science in Mathematics and Computer Science. At Sweet Briar, Leah served as the Student Government Association president, and after graduating, was honored to serve as a Young Alumna Trustee on the Board of Directors of the College for a three-year term.
Immediately after graduation, Leah started a career at IBM, Westford, MA, as a Software Engineer, working in the Messaging and Collaboration Software Development group. There she focused on engineering software that millions of people around the globe use daily, securing patent applications for software algorithms, speaking at annual conferences, and publishing in technical journals.
A Boston native, Leah is a volunteer math tutor for the Boys and Girls Club of Boston, and returns often to Sweet Briar College as a guest lecturer for women and entrepreneurship. Leah enjoys theater, dance, and spending time with her husband, Kevin, and 100lb yellow lab Kobe.
Standard YouTube License
- 11:32 Where 2012, Noah Iliinsky, "When To *Not* Use Maps"by OreillyMedia980 views
- 20:03 Where 2012, Charlene Li, "Providing Context For What Is Possible And Probable"by OreillyMedia519 views
- 11:52 Where 2012, Adel Youssef, "How LBS Is Used To Build Egypt 2.0"by OreillyMedia556 views
- 9:48 Where 2012, Adam Greenfield, "Ultramapping: The New Geospatial Awareness"by OreillyMedia535 views
- 1:11:12 Startup Grind hosts Patrick Collison (founder of Stripe)by VaporwareLabs2,066 views
- 4:40 Leah Busque of TaskRabbit: From Engineer to Entrepreneur - Tech Cocktail Conversationsby techcocktail452 views
- 2:34 First Round Capital Founder Stories, Leah Busque, TaskRabbitby FirstRoundCapital3,217 views
- 20:03 Inspiring women in Technology: Leah Busque (Task Rabbit Founder)by tarachk578 views
- 1:37 What Zuckerberg told Sandberg in her reviewby Reuters TV3,030 views
- 11:55 Noah Iliinsky interviewed at Where 2012by OreillyMedia292 views
- 9:45 Leah Busque - Task Rabbit 2 of 2by founderlikeyou132 views
- 11:57 Where 2012, Leila Janah, "The Microwork Revolution"by OreillyMedia8,793 views
- 20:12 Where 2012, Thomas Goetz, "Mapping Disease From Venice to Houston"by OreillyMedia417 views
- 10:34 Where 2012, Josh Williams, "New Lines on the Horizon"by OreillyMedia347 views
- 9:24 Where 2012, Eric Gundersen, "Designing Fast and Beautiful Maps"by OreillyMedia1,325 views
- 10:16 Where 2012, Amber Case, "Ambient Location and the Future of the Interface"by OreillyMedia2,791 views
- 12:35 Where 2012, Jer Thorp, "News Through Data"by OreillyMedia442 views
- 10:07 Where 2012, Bruce Daniel, "Responsive Design--The Future of Mapping"by OreillyMedia673 views
- 14:47 Alasdair Allan interviewed at Where 2012by OreillyMedia307 views
- 4:01 Leah Busque, Founder of TaskRabbit, on Starting and Developingby startuplive162 views
- Loading more suggestions...