Kasi & Mtani's 1st Anniversary: Baby Cheetah and Puppy Pal Celebrate First Anniversary Together
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 18, 2012
Busch Gardens' Baby Cheetah and Puppy Pal Celebrate First Anniversary Together
This week, Busch Gardens Tampa is celebrating a milestone anniversary for a very special relationship. Monday, April 16 marked the one-year anniversary of the first time park guests got to see an 8-week-old male cheetah cub and a 16-week-old female yellow Labrador puppy start to strike up a friendship that the park's animal experts expect to last a lifetime.
The pair -- later named Kasi and Mtani by park fans via a Facebook poll -- spent only supervised play times together at first. Now, a year later, they live together full time at the park's Cheetah Run habitat and even travel together to schools, events and television studios, helping the park's education team teach the public about the plight of cheetahs in the wild and the importance of Busch Gardens' conservation efforts.
Park guest can see Kasi and Mtani daily at Cheetah Run, where they spend a portion of each day playing together on the habitat, training with their keepers and exercising with the habitat's lure system, designed to encourage the animals to do what cheetahs (and Mtani, too!) do best: run and chase.
Although this is Busch Gardens' first cub-and-puppy combo, it is not uncommon in the zoological community for a single cheetah to be raised with a canine companion. "Male cheetahs are social and often live together in coalitions," said Tim Smith, a zoo manager who works with the cheetah team daily. "This social bond will be a very similar relationship, and they will be together for life."
Cheetahs are included on both the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) list of vulnerable species as well as on the US Endangered Species Act list of threatened species. Only approximately 12,400 cheetahs remain in the wild.
Busch Gardens supports the conservation of and education about cheetahs through the SeaWorld & Busch Gardens Conservation Fund, which has donated nearly $100,000 to cheetah efforts in Africa since 2005 and also helps fund conservation programs for white rhinos, marine animals and many other species around the world.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:39 A Match Made in Africaby National Geographic299,521 views
- 2:38 Dog Meets Wolfby LifeIsQuick2,369,751 views
- 8:26 Noah's Ark featured on National Geographic's "Unlikely Animal Friends"by noahsarkga39,966 views
- 6:14 Cheetah and Dog Show - San Diego Zooby thelostduck33,258 views
- 3:30 Cutest Animal Odd-Couplesby ABC News87,588 views
- 4:56 Cheetah Cub and Puppy Pal at Busch Gardens Tampaby BGTNation74,739 views
- 2:18 Polar bears and dogs playingby FirstscienceTV12,229,876 views
- 87 videos Play all Cheetah Videosby Raycheetah
- 5:08 Unlikely Animal Friendships -- Jennifer Holland National Geographicby ARTLOVERRR25,496 views
- 3:03 This is Why You Can't Outrun a Cheetahby Smithsonian Channel1,058,679 views
- 3:59 The Orangutan and the Houndby National Geographic1,494,183 views
- 3:27 3 month old labrador Retriever Puppy doing tricksby m3phrlf896,939 views
- 1:50 TOO-CUTE VIDEO: Baby Cheetahsby wcmhnbc4796,077 views
- 2:20 Savanna Cheetah Cub and Puppy Max Play - Cincinnati Zooby CincinnatiZooTube1,365,159 views
- 1:11 Cat Adopts Baby Squirrelsby uzoouk3,681,065 views
- 2:21 Keeper thrilled at cute baby cheetah cubsby ZSL - Zoological Society of London45,025 views
- 1:58 Cheetah Cub and Puppy Play-Cincinnati Zooby CincinnatiZooTube457,529 views
- 2:40 Unlikely Animal Friends Previewby NatGeoWild19,565 views
- 0:59 Man and croc the best of friendsby LoveOfAnimals4,345,572 views
- 5:23 Cheetah vs Greyhound - World's Fastest Dog In Super Slow Motion - Slo Mo #29 - Earth Unpluggedby Earth Unplugged448,167 views