Charles Murray: Why America is Coming Apart Along Class Lines
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 25, 2012
Charles Murray, one of America's most influential social policy thinkers, has come out with a widely discussed new book called Coming Apart: The State of White America, 1960-2010, which argues that Americans are splitting into two divergent classes, and that this growing divide could end American life as we have known it.
A self-described libertarian, Murray started his career as a liberal Democrat who spent six years in the Peace Corps and voted for Jimmy Carter in the 1976 presidential election. His political transformation came while he was researching his landmark 1984 book, Losing Ground: American Social Policy 1950-1980, which marshaled exhaustive evidence that American welfare programs were harming the very people they were supposed to be lifting out of poverty.
Losing Ground was fiercely denounced by the political left, but soon won mainstream acceptance that the War on Poverty was failing. The simple fact is there wouldn't have been welfare reform in the 1990s without Losing Ground.
The Bell Curve: Intelligence and Class Structure in American Life, Murray's 1994 collaboration with Harvard psychologist Richard Herrnstein, was more controversial. The book maintained that differences in genes contribute to differences in IQ, which in turn play a significant role in the life outcomes of individuals. Most controversially, Herrnstein and Murray argued that various ethnic groups have distinct differences in inherited intelligence. (Economist James J. Heckman reviewed The Bell Curve for Reason back in 1995: http://reason.com/archives/1995/03/01...)
Murray has written more than 20 books, including What It Means to Be a Libertarian: A Personal Interpretation, and he's currently the W.H. Brady Scholar at the American Enterprise Institute .
Reason's Ronald Bailey sat down with Murray in March for a wide-ranging discussion of how his earlier work informs Coming Apart, why he remains libertarian in his outlook, and whether younger Americans face an relentlessly negative future.
Approximately 35 minutes.
Written and produced by Jim Epstein.
Visit http://www.reason.tv for downloadable versions and subscribe to Reason.tv's YouTube Channel to receive notifications when new material goes live.
Standard YouTube License
- 14:58 Jesse Lee Peterson Radio Show w/ Dr. Charles Murray On Decline of White Americaby Jesse Peterson Featured 1,016
- 2:13:05 Class Conflict, Inequality, 99% & 1% - Robert Reich, David Brooks, Charles Murray, William Galstonby Siebel Scholars5,790 views
- 2:18:16 Class Conflict, Inequality, the 1% - Ralph Nader, Niall Ferguson, Charles Murray, Lewis Laphamby Siebel Scholars21,539 views
- 1:34:01 Can Marriage Be Saved? -- David Blankenhorn and Charles Murrayby InstAmericanValues1,180 views
- 54:18 Capitalism and Virtue: Reaffirming Old Truthsby CISAus1,951 views
- 29:35 Niall Ferguson at Charlie Rose 2011by Niall Ferguson9,820 views
- 44:52 Race and Intelligence : Science's Last Tabooby MacBilderburger96,765 views
- 21 videos Play all Wisdomatic Shitby spacecricket
- 1:52:40 The Bell Curve - abridged Audiobook (Charles Murray)by MrHerrIQi39,247 views
- 10:53 The Black-White IQ Gap: James Flynn vs. Charles Murray (1)by AntonBatey23,166 views
- 10:39 Book TV: Charles Murray "Real Education"by BookTV19,205 views
- 9:50 Battle for the California Desert: Why is the Government Driving Folks off Their Land?by ReasonTV290,084 views
- 5:44 Charles Murray Class divide growing in Americaby MSNBCmsnbc1,996 views
- 1:18:28 Charles Murrayby Chautauqua Institution392 views
- 9:54 Charles Murray on Education Mythsby catoinstitutevideo24,915 views
- 6:04 Why America Should Default and You Should Live Abroad: Q&A with Doug Caseyby ReasonTV32,945 views
- 15:14 Peter Schiff talks about Michael Mooreby 604johny119,401 views
- 1:26 Charles Murray to Race-Deniers: 'You're going to be disappointed'by AustralianRealist1,003 views
- 5:35 Pat Buchanan kicked off MSNBCby Brian Williams8,839 views
- 2:36 Stephen Colbert's Shameful Attack on Charles Murrayby joketropes3,784 views