GTAC 2010: The Future of Front-End Testing
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 1, 2010
Google Test Automation Conference 2010
October 28-29, 2010
"The Future of Front-End Testing"
Presented by Greg Dennis & Simon Stewart, Google Inc.
In our world of increasingly rich web applications, automated front-end testing is in demand. But what are the watchwords associated with state-of-the-art front-end tests? Unstable? Slow? Hard to maintain? It need not be that way, and this talk provides some simple
steps to recovery.
Those who don't study the past are doomed to repeat its mistakes, so this talk begins by examining the root causes for these wide-spread and well known problems. For each problem, we'll offer practical, battle-tested methods for mitigating it or avoiding it entirely.
Some of our suggestions are design patterns that could be used by your developers in writing the application; some are UI principles, and some are useful patterns for those writing the tests themselves. A key lesson is that testing your application effectively isn't just the job of a poor QA soul, hopelessly clicking buttons in the dark, but requires the engagement of the entire team.
There's more to end-to-end testing than just design patterns and nifty UI tricks. The tools you use are also crucial, so we'll be looking at some common choices that Google contribute to, and discussing how their evolution in the future will better support you.
Simon Stewart lives in London and works as a Software Engineer in Test at Google. His Open Source contributions centre on Selenium and WebDriver, the browser automation projects becoming Selenium 2. It has been said before that Simon enjoys beer and writing better software, sometimes at the same time. This continues to be true.
Slides for this talk are available at https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0AYfT...
Standard YouTube License
- 40:58 Software Testing & Software QA Interview Questions and answers - online training session 10/20by portnovschool Featured 35,635
- 1:18:29 GTAC 2010: Turning Quality on its Headby GoogleTechTalks16,226 views
- 56:03 Automating Your Browser Based Testing Using WebDriverby GoogleTechTalks14,102 views
- 45:42 Test Automation - 10 (sometimes painful) Lessons Learnedby SwissTestingDay5,177 views
- 10:16 My Drunken Selenium 1: An Introductionby Simon Stewart10,502 views
- 57:53 GTAC 2011: Opening Keynote Address - Test is Deadby GoogleTechTalks32,487 views
- 11:12 Update on Selenium 2 - Part 1by londonselenium6,384 views
- 59:22 Fun is the Future: Mastering Gamificationby GoogleTechTalks128,321 views
- 8:07 What are some of the challenges facing software testers - James Bach, Software Testing Naturalistby CMCMediaInc13,932 views
- 48:57 GTAC 2010: Twist, A Next Generation Functional Testing Tool for Building and Evolving Test Suitesby GoogleTechTalks5,832 views
- 45:20 GTAC 2011: WebDriverby GoogleTechTalks6,382 views
- 1:08:05 QTP TESTING TUTORIAL VBSCRIPT TUTORIAL BASICS FOR BEGINNERSby Bala Raju3,825 views
- 40:16 GTAC 2011: Web Consistency Testingby GoogleTechTalks5,016 views
- 2:34 Silverlight-Enable your MultiValue Application!by BlueFinity International2,062 views
- 57:59 GTAC 2010: Closing Panel Discussionby GoogleTechTalks4,895 views
- 38:20 QTP Framework Data Driven Frame workby Rao HTwoKInfosys13,790 views
- 11:35 Building an OrgChart in a Silverlight Business Application using GoXamby godiagram2,778 views
- 6:25 Software Testing Foundationby ilxgroup1,653 views
- 44:13 QTP Datadriven framework, automation testing, QTP VB Script Descriptive Programming QTP Tutorialby Rao HTwoKInfosys8,327 views