New York City - Video Tour of Greenwich Village, Manhattan
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 13, 2009
Greenwich Village is a small area below 14th Street and west of Broadway. It is famous to have been the home to rebels, nonconformists, beatniks, bohemians and starving artists for over 100 years now. New York Habitat ( http://www.nyhabitat.com/ ) offers features today a video tour of this great area.
You will find the full article about Greenwich Village on New York Habitat blog http://www.nyhabitat.com/blog/2009/06...
Don't hesitate to discover the other video tours provided by New York Habitat such as Morningside Heights in Harlem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrPM5g... or Times Square http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWFhe3...
Starting in the late 1800s, Greenwich Village became the epicenter of art and music in New York. Artists and musicians from all over flocked to the Village where they found camaraderie, inspiration and affordable housing. The paths of many famous musicians' writers and actors passed through the eclectic streets of Greenwich Village including Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Edgar Allen Poe, and Mark Twain.
Washington Square Park:
A great place to start our tour of Greenwich Village is Washington Square Park. It is home of the famous Washington Square Arch, which was built in the late 1800s to celebrate the centennial of George Washington's inauguration as president of the United States.
The interesting thing about Greenwich Village is that the starving artists were the ones who brought charm and appeal to the area. Ultimately the very appeal they created started attracting wealthier New Yorkers, which drove the prices up and, eventually, caused most starving artists to relocate elsewhere in the city.
Luckily, the charm remains strong in the Village and it's a great place to rent a furnished apartment during your next trip to New York. New York Habitat has tons of apartments http://www.nyhabitat.com/new-york-apa... throughout the Village and all over New York City.
For example, we have this beautiful one bedroom accommodation in the heart of Greenwich Village (NY-7565) http://www.nyhabitat.com/new-york-apa... which is just a few blocks away from Washington Square Park.
Another great option is this Greenwich Village two bedroom vacation rental (NY-15468) http://www.nyhabitat.com/new-york-apa... in the heart of the action on Fifth Avenue.
New York Habitat provides great possibilities of accommodations with vacation rentals http://www.nyhabitat.com/new-york-apa... & Bed & Breakfast http://www.nyhabitat.com/new-york-apa... in New York City.
MacDougal Street is a one-way street about 6 blocks long in Greenwich Village. It has been the subject of many songs and poems. It's been frequented by numerous famous individuals including Bob Dylan, Matthew Broderick and Eleanor Roosevelt.
Cafe Wha? - at 115 Macdougal Street
Located at 115 Macdougal Street, Cafe Wha? is a club in Greenwich Village that has been home to various musicians and comedians.
West 4th Street Courts:
At the West 4th Street Courts, also known as "The Cage", you will find some of the finest street ball players in the country.
The Speakeasy - 106 Perry Street
In the time of Prohibition back in the 1920's, secret bars known as speakeasies sprung up all over the city. Many were located right here in Greenwich Village. American author Henry Miller opened a short-lived speakeasy in the basement of his home at 106 Perry St.
The Friends Building - 90 Bedford Street
If the names Joey, Monica, Chandler, Ross, Rachel and Phoebe mean anything to you, make sure you visit the corner of Bedford St. & Grove St. in Greenwich Village to pay homage to the "Friends' Building". This is the building where the Friends supposedly lived in the hit sitcom we all know and love. In fact, before the producers decided on the title "Friends", the working title of the show was "Once Upon a Time in the Village".
Narrowest House in NYC -- 75 ½ Bedford St
Coming in at nine and a half feet wide, you'll find the narrowest house in NYC at 75 ½ Bedford St. The Pulitzer Prize winning poet Edna St. Vincent Millay lived there for a short while.
If I've missed some of you're favorite Village must-sees, be sure to leave them share them in the comments below.
And don't forget, one of the best ways to experience Greenwich Village is to live there. What better way to live there than by renting a vacation rental apartment from New York Habitat?
Standard YouTube License
- 8:34 The New York Trip - 8 days in 8 minutesby Leene KannistoFeatured 30,238
- 6:43 New York City : Video Tour of the East Village (Manhattan, NY)by NewYorkHabitat 22,013 views
- 4:47 Harlem, New York City - Video Tour of West Harlem, Central Harlem & Apollo Theaterby NewYorkHabitat 40,642 views
- 4:11 How New York Works New York City Guideby terminator6645 22,684 views
- 5:03 Chinatown, New York City - Video tour of Chatham Square, MOCA & Columbus Parkby NewYorkHabitat 83,822 views
- 63 videos Play all New York Cityby Klonkiller1000
- 4:41 New York City - Central Park Video Tour Part 1by NewYorkHabitat 56,930 views
- 5:12 New York City - Video tour of the Meatpacking District, Manhattan (Part 1)by New York Habitat 6,193 views
- 3:40 10 things NOT to do when visiting New Yorkby erikssc 64,811 views
- 5:29 "All Along Broadway", Manhattan, New York City: Touring the Booming Financial Districtby NewYorkHabitat 8,749 views
- Greenwich Village 4,415 videos6
- 5:49 New York City - Video tour of Brooklyn Heights, Brooklyn (Part 1)by NewYorkHabitat 16,631 views
- 5:08 Simple life Manhattan: a 90-square-foot microstudioby Kirsten Dirksen of *faircompanies 5,197,853 views
- 3:52 Adriana Trigiani--Walking Tour of Greenwich Village and Very Valentineby Kyle Hansen 10,402 views
- 10:59 New York City Helicopter Tourby Hoosier Tim's Travel Videos 255,735 views
- 6:09 Video Tour of New York City's Union Square: "All Along Broadway" Seriesby NewYorkHabitat 8,118 views
- 11:15 NYC on the Cheap: Greenwich Villageby FantasticBabblings 15,417 views
- 5:32 Christopher Street in the West Village - New York, NYby laragroupclub 4,995 views
- 7:30 New York City & Times Square Night Tourby CosmoPhotography 625,865 views
- 5:42 New York City - Video tour of Chelsea, Manhattan (Part 1)by NewYorkHabitat 9,146 views
- 4:21 1963 (1 of 3) The Beatniks of Greenwich Villageby Automobile History USA 38,905 views
- 1:58 West Village Walk - New Yorkby Monumental Adventure 15,663 views
- Loading more suggestions...