Why I Left Islam - Nonie Darwish(Part 1 of 2)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 9, 2009
Biography of Nonie Darwish:
Born in Cairo, Egypt, Darwish moved to Gaza in the 1950s when her father, Lt. General Mustafa Hafez, was sent by Gamal Abdel Nasser to serve as commander of the Egyptian Army Intelligence in Gaza, which was under supervision of Egypt. Hafez founded the fedayeen who launched raids across Israel's southern border, that between 1951 and 1956, killed some 400 Israelis. In July 1956 when Nonie was eight years old, her father became the first targeted assassination carried out by the Israeli Defense Forces in response to Fedayeen's attacks, making him a shahid. During his speech announcing the nationalization of the Suez Canal, Nasser vowed that all of Egypt would take revenge for Hafez's death. Darwish claims that Nasser asked her and her siblings, "Which one of you will avenge your father's death by killing Jews?"
Darwish explains: "I always blamed Israel for my father's death, because that's what I was taught. I never looked at why Israel killed my father. They killed my father because the fedayeen were killing Israelis. They killed my father because when I was growing up, we had to recite poetry pledging jihad against Israel. We would have tears in our eyes, pledging that we wanted to die. I speak to people who think there was no terrorism against Israel before the '67 war. How can they deny it? My father died in it."
After his death, her family moved back to Cairo, where she attended Catholic high school and then the American University in Cairo, earning a BA in Sociology/Anthropology. She then worked as an editor and translator for the Middle East News Agency, until emigrating to the United States in 1978 with her husband, ultimately receiving United States citizenship. After arriving in the US, she became a Christian and began attending a non-denominational evangelical church. About a year after the September 11, 2001 attacks, Darwish began writing columns critical of Islamic extremism and the silence of moderate Muslims. "After 9/11 very few Americans of Arab and Muslim origin spoke out and from my experience it took us a long time to get noticed by Western media. Western media still regards Muslim organizations such as CAIR as representative of moderate Muslims in America. This is not the case. Muslim groups in the U.S. try to silence us and intimidate American campuses who invite us to speak. I often tell Muslim students that Arab Americans who are speaking out against terrorism are not the problem, its the terrorists who are giving Islam a bad name. And what the West must do is ask the politically incorrect questions and we Americans of Arab and Muslim origin owe them honest answers."
Darwish's Arabs for Israel website describes itself as an organization of Arabs and Muslims who "respect and support the State of Israel", welcome a "peaceful and diverse Middle East", reject "suicide/homicide terrorism as a form of Jihad", and promote "constructive self-criticism and reform" in the Arab/Muslim world. She often says "Just because I am pro- Israel does not mean I am anti- Arab, its just that my culture is in desperate need for reformation which must come from within".
She has spoken on numerous college campuses including Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Princeton, Brown, Hebrew University in Jerusalem, Oxford, Cornell, UCLA, NYU, Virginia Tech, UC Berkeley and several others. She has also spoken on Capitol Hill, the House of Lords, and The European Parliament.
"Why I Left Islam - Nonie Darwish" Part 1 of 2 From RealPeaceOfIslam
Standard YouTube License
- 8:21 Why I Left Islam - Nonie Darwish(Part 2 of 2)by RealPeaceOfIslam7,322 views
- 10:25 Why I Left Islam-Ex-Muslim terrorist Walid Shoebat(Part 2 of 2)by RealPeaceOfIslam22,442 views
- 10:23 Why I Left Islam-Ex-Muslim terrorist Walid Shoebat(Part 1 of 2)by RealPeaceOfIslam50,674 views
- 1:12:52 Nonie Darwish Speaks to Jewish Group about Islam, Jan 29, 2013by WesternFreePress2,266 views
- 22:45 (3) Nonie Darwish: Sharia for infidels: Muslims ok to lie to infidels; but criticism is blasphemyby DemoCast9,058 views
- 10:48 MUHAMMAD VERSES JESUS CHRISTby RealPeaceOfIslam10,077 views
- 46 videos Play all Politicsby IndustrializedMetal
- 10:58 ISLAM will Collapse in 10 Years : Ex-Muslimby TheSaffronSIKH798,875 views
- 10:50 Why I Left Islam - Naeemby ThePeacefulIslam167,606 views
- 6:31 Why I Left Islam - Wagdi(Part 1 of 2)by RealPeaceOfIslam1,480 views
- 10:30 Why I Left Islam - Mohammedby ThePeacefulIslam122,345 views
- 5:54 Why I Left Islam - Samira(Part 1 of 2)by ThePeacefulIslam140,547 views
- 8:12 Muslim Converts to Christianity and Exposes the evils of the Cult of Islamby alanEDL233,473 views
- 5:19 UNM Students Assaulting Nonie Darwish Talkby coyotech5519,802 views
- 1:00:55 Nonie Darwish, Shari'a Law & America At Temple University-Part 1by JihadWatchVideo8,213 views
- 37:29 Dr. Zakir Naik Historic Debate at Oxford University (Union) *2011* Question Answer Session (HQ)by HARAMAINGALLERY259,622 views
- 10:19 Why I Left Islam - Kamranby ThePeacefulIslam259,294 views
- 1:00:42 Interview with Nonie Darwishby ABN English5,210 views
- 19:43 Nonie Darwish and "Islamic Apartheid" at Temple Universityby pakayhall11,743 views
- 5:08 Another Misconception about Islam??? Fight The Jews according to chapter 5 Al Ma'idah verse 82by Ibadu Ar-Rahman36,434 views