Kleeer - Open Your Mind (Original 12'' Version)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 20, 2010
Kleeer was a New York-based disco/funk group headed by drummer, arranger, songwriter, and vocalist Woody Cunningham. The group -- fleshed out by vocalist/percussionist Paul Crutchfield, guitarist Richard Lee, and bassist Norman Durham -- formed in 1972 as the backing group for the Choice 4. Two years later, they broke off on their own and changed their name to the Jam Band. For a brief period, the Jam Band backed up Disco Tex & the Sex-O-Lettes for touring purposes and even appeared with the group on the TV program The Midnight Special.
Another change came in 1975, when the Jam Band changed names again to Pipeline. The switch reflected the quartet's decision to become a hard rock band. A number of major labels balked on signing the group, but Columbia picked them up and released a single ("Gypsy Rider") that didn't fare well commercially.
Pipeline was confronted with the bizarre opportunity to become the Universal Robot Band in 1976. Patrick Adams and Greg Carmichael, underground disco legends with skills in all departments of record-making, had released a single under that name -- but there really was no proper band. Pipeline decided to become the Universal Robot Band and recorded and toured under that name until 1978. The quartet's desire to become self-sufficient again resulted in their defection.
Re-named Kleeer, Cunningham, Crutchfield, Lee, and Durham became a funk band with dance floor leanings. The first song they cut as Kleeer, "Keeep Your Body Workin'," was liked by Atlantic enough to be included on a compilation. The response from DJs was overwhelmingly positive and resulted in a recording contract. (Ironically, Atlantic had rejected the group when they were Pipeline.) Between 1979 and 1985, the group released seven albums for the label and frequented the R&B charts with a series of minor hits. Three songs cracked the Top 40 -- 1979's "Tonight's the Night (Good Time)" (#33), 1980's "Winners" (#23), and 1981's "Get Tough" (#15). Nine others entered the R&B chart. Despite never becoming major players in the U.S., they were able to cultivate a rabid cult following in the U.K.
Kleeer disappeeered after the 1985 album Seeekret; Atlantic capped off the group's prolific run the following year with Kleeer Winners: The Best of Kleeer. The group re-appeared briefly in the '90s; most members remained active session musicians long after the group's dissolution, and Cunningham went on to record into the 2000s as a solo artist. Kleeer's recordings have long since become a source for several rap hits, including 2Pac's "California Love," and DJ Quik's "Tonight."
Winners (Kleeer album)
Released late in 1979 this would be second of two albums the band would release that year.
1:Winners - (Norman Durham, Woody Cunningham) 7:09
2:I Still Love You - (Woody Cunningham) 4:12
3:Your Way - (Norman Durham, Woody Cunningham) 4:44
4:Close To You - (Richard Lee Jr.) 5:24
5:Rollin' On - (Paul Crutchfield, Woody Cunningham) 3:49
6:Nothin' Said - (Woody Cunningham) 4:54
7:Hunger For Your Love - (Paul Crutchfield, Richard Lee Jr.) 5:34
8:Open Your Mind - (Norman Durham, Woody Cunningham) 6:44
Standard YouTube License
- 46 videos Play all YouTube Mix - Kleeer - Open Your Mind (Original 12'' Version)
- 5:12 Kleeer - Tonightby FUNKNATION Featured 172,786
- 7:29 Kleeer - Running back to youby superpierfunk14,488 views
- 4:45 Kleeer - Intimate Connectionby FUNKNATION139,370 views
- 7:26 Kleeer - Taste The Music (1982)by 27thAve34,244 views
- 6:48 Patrice Rushen - Havent You Heard (Original 12'' Version)by Simon Ambler144,906 views
- 7:52 KLEEER WINNERS 12"by SMURFEE0563,802 views
- 19 videos Play all The Gap Bandby juniorluvcome
- 5:37 Kleeer - Keep your body workin'by JFSRonline44,456 views
- 5:21 kleeer - Keep Your Body Workin'by FUNKNATION23,475 views
- 6:26 Aurra - Make Up Your Mind (Original 12'' Version)by Simon Ambler149,985 views
- 8:14 KLEEER GET TOUGHby SMURFEE0521,224 views
- 6:17 Shalamar - Make That Move (Original 12'' Version)by Simon Ambler177,821 views
- 5:27 Kleeer - Keep Your Body Workinby MorpherRadioOnline6,480 views
- 6:27 Slave - Just A Touch Of Loveby FUNKNATION II38,682 views
- 8:43 Kleeer - Get Tough (12" Version) [HQ Audio]by choccystarfish125,090 views
- 4:56 Kleeer - Intimate Connectionby Perdecat314,843 views
- 8:03 Thinking About Your Love - Skipworth And Turner (Original 12'' Version)by Simon Ambler194,131 views
- 5:23 Gap Band - Humpin'by Pierre Richard238,645 views
- 4:18 Kleeer - De Ting Continuesby MrVinylRip2,537 views
- 5:21 Skyy - Here's To You (Original 12'' Version) HQby Simon Ambler340,005 views