Whale Sharks - Reef Life of the Andaman - Part 3
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 8, 2012
Whale sharks. Part 3 of the DVD, "Reef Life of the Andaman", available at http://www.bubblevision.com/marine-li... or view the whole 2-hour video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ncUVd...
The whale shark, Rhincodon typus, is the world's largest fish. Although huge, the whale shark is a gentle, placid fish. Here we encounter a female whale shark at Thailand's Richelieu Rock, north of the Similan Islands. We then meet a young whale shark at Burma's Mergui Archipelago.
Whale sharks are sought after for their fins which are used in shark fin soup in Chinese restaurants, or merely used to advertise the availability of shark fin soup. They are therefore vulnerable to fishing pressures and face an uncertain future unless the culture changes.
The following closed captions/subtitles are available by clicking the CC button under the video:
NARRATION / COMMENTARY:
- German (Deutscher Kommentar)
- Spanish (Narración en Español)
MARINE LIFE & DIVE SITE NAMES
- Dutch (Nederlandse Namen)
- German (Deutsche Bezeichnungen)
- Thai ( ชื่อภาษาไทย & จุดดำน้ำ )
Please get in touch with me if you would like to help translate the narration or marine life names into other languages.
I have more scuba diving videos and underwater footage on my website at:
I post updates about my videos, and interesting underwater videos from other filmmakers here:
The video was shot by Nick Hope with a Sony VX2000 DV camera in a Gates housing. It was edited in Sony Vegas Pro then deinterlaced with QTGMC and upscaled to 720p HD in AviSynth.
Thanks to Mark Ellison for the music track, "Freefall Into The Blue". Thanks to Santana Diving of Phuket (http://www.santanaphuket.com), and in particular Horst Hinrichs for the thumbnail image of me filming the juvenile whale shark near Western Rocky Island. Thanks to Elfi and Uli Erfort and Daniel Bruehwiler for help with the German translation, and to Frank Nelissen for the Dutch subtitles.
Sharks and dive sites featured in this video:
00:00 Tawny Nurse Shark, Nebrius ferrugineus, Burma Banks
00:11 Whale Shark, Rhincodon typus, Richelieu Rock
03:18 Whale Shark, Rhincodon typus, Mergui Archipelago
04:21 Whale Shark, Rhincodon typus, Richelieu Rock
04:51 Grey Reef Shark, Carcharhinus amblyrhynchos, Mergui Archipelago
Standard YouTube License
- 18:29 Jonathan Bird's Blue World: Sully the Pilot Whaleby BlueWorldTV Featured 75,388
- 1:56:24 Reef Life of the Andaman (full marine biology documentary)by Bubble Vision365,268 views
- 5:25 Pufferfishes, Boxfishes & Porcupinefishes - Reef Life of the Andaman - Part 11by Bubble Vision44,166 views
- 54:30 Diving in Baliby Bubble Vision617,703 views
- 46:13 Kingdom of the Blue Whaleby National Geographic230,466 views
- 5:01 Solstice - Scotland's Basking Sharksby Simon Spear96,301 views
- 4:07 Whale Shark attacks diverby 72Herminator69,563 views
- 11:38 Worlds Largest Blue Whale colony - Discovered in Sri Lankaby srilankanlion1,541,658 views
- 6 videos Play all Whale Sharksby BrunosDiveShop
- 10:01 Octonauts - s01e01 - The Whale Sharkby prem rutai349,884 views
- 57:05 Diving Fiji with Blue Lagoon Cruises 2008by Harry Juselius20,166 views
- 2:00 Killer whales surprise couple on boatby CNN2,369,504 views
- 5:48 450 pound Black Marlin eaten by sharkby dizzy7727,488,293 views
- 27:12 Believe - The Complete Shamu Show at Sea Worldby Marcio Disney4,930,222 views
- 14:31 Georgia Aquarium Whale Sharks and Stunning Fish in 1080p HIGH DEFby Brandon Imler172,615 views
- 7:04 Swimming with Whale Sharksby Becky Kagan Schott71,654 views
- 3:49 Tiger Sharks vs. Turtlesby National Geographic4,740,159 views
- 8:57 Tiger Sharks of Tiger Beachby Becky Kagan Schott986,620 views
- 3:41 Whale Shark Seeks Helpby Mark Spencer220,571 views
- 6:00 Monster Hammerhead Shark on the Beachby BlacktipH2,588,804 views