Whale Sharks - Reef Life of the Andaman - Part 3
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 8, 2012
Whale sharks. Part 3 of the DVD, "Reef Life of the Andaman", available at http://www.bubblevision.com/marine-li... or view the whole 2-hour video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ncUVd...
The whale shark, Rhincodon typus, is the world's largest fish. Although huge, the whale shark is a gentle, placid fish. Here we encounter a female whale shark at Thailand's Richelieu Rock, north of the Similan Islands. We then meet a young whale shark at Burma's Mergui Archipelago.
Whale sharks are sought after for their fins which are used in shark fin soup in Chinese restaurants, or merely used to advertise the availability of shark fin soup. They are therefore vulnerable to fishing pressures and face an uncertain future unless the culture changes.
The following closed captions/subtitles are available by clicking the CC button under the video:
NARRATION / COMMENTARY:
- German (Deutscher Kommentar)
- Spanish (Narración en Español)
MARINE LIFE & DIVE SITE NAMES
- Dutch (Nederlandse Namen)
- German (Deutsche Bezeichnungen)
- Thai ( ชื่อภาษาไทย & จุดดำน้ำ )
Please get in touch with me if you would like to help translate the narration or marine life names into other languages.
I have more scuba diving videos and underwater footage on my website at:
I post updates about my videos, and interesting underwater videos from other filmmakers here:
The video was shot by Nick Hope with a Sony VX2000 DV camera in a Gates housing. It was edited in Sony Vegas Pro then deinterlaced with QTGMC and upscaled to 720p HD in AviSynth.
Thanks to Mark Ellison for the music track, "Freefall Into The Blue". Thanks to Santana Diving of Phuket (http://www.santanaphuket.com), and in particular Horst Hinrichs for the thumbnail image of me filming the juvenile whale shark near Western Rocky Island. Thanks to Elfi and Uli Erfort and Daniel Bruehwiler for help with the German translation, and to Frank Nelissen for the Dutch subtitles.
Sharks and dive sites featured in this video:
00:00 Tawny Nurse Shark, Nebrius ferrugineus, Burma Banks
00:11 Whale Shark, Rhincodon typus, Richelieu Rock
03:18 Whale Shark, Rhincodon typus, Mergui Archipelago
04:21 Whale Shark, Rhincodon typus, Richelieu Rock
04:51 Grey Reef Shark, Carcharhinus amblyrhynchos, Mergui Archipelago
Standard YouTube License
- 18:29 Jonathan Bird's Blue World: Sully the Pilot Whaleby Jonathan Bird's Blue WorldFeatured 41,419
- 54:42 Diving in Bali (720p)by bubblevision 58,114 views
- 2:48 Requiem Sharks in Burma - Reef Life of the Andaman - Part 4by bubblevision 11,543 views
- 3:48 Zebra Sharks (Leopard Sharks) & Nurse Sharks - Reef Life of the Andaman - Part 2by bubblevision 21,218 views
- 2:46 Filefish & Triggerfishes - Reef Life of the Andaman - Part 12by bubblevision 16,865 views
- 43:34 Orcas the Killer Whales (2010)by blade57hrc 30,749 views
- 53:35 Treasures of the Great Barrier Reef - PBS (1995)by documentarynetwork 80,617 views
- 14:31 Georgia Aquarium Whale Sharks and Stunning Fish in 1080p HIGH DEFby Brandon Imler 88,255 views
- 46:13 Kingdom of the Blue Whaleby National Geographic 144,678 views
- 11:38 Worlds Largest Blue Whale colony - Discovered in Sri Lankaby srilankanlion 991,286 views
- 4:07 Whale Shark attacks diverby 72Herminator 6,707 views
- 3:02 Hungry Whale shark Philippines on Reuters Newsby gincuye basiva 1,506 views
- 3:31 Whale Sharks, Isla Mujeres 2011 SDM trip.movby Eli Martinez 15,072 views
- 1:21 Scientists free a whale shark from a fishing net in Indonesia - Conservation International (CI)by Conservation International 503,095 views
- 2:28 Incredible Whale Encounter - Mother Gray Whale Lifts Her Calf Out of the Water! [HD]by One World One Ocean 860,029 views
- 5:00 Solstice - Scotland's Basking Sharksby Simon Spear 19,405 views
- 1:24 Massive Mako Shark Surprises Diver and Blue Marlin!by DrGuyHarvey 2,724,859 views
- 4:27 Oslob whale sharks - up and close!by odys1964 25,808 views
- 10:22 Isla Holbox - Whale Shark Islandby Kip Evans 49,668 views
- 1:32 The Goblin Shark, Disturbing One of a Kind Footageby ShamRock1938 970,196 views
- Loading more suggestions...