KSL: Small Company Goes From Internet Hit To Global Retailer
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 1, 2011
November 25th, 2010 @ 6:58pm
By Jed Boal
UTAH COUNTY -- A fast-growing Utah County business became a YouTube sensation with a product that does not immediately strike you as sensational. In fact, the inventor could not sell it for years.
Orabrush is out to "cure the world of bad breath," and the company discovered just the right whiff of humor to sell tongue brushes worldwide.
"It's a strange phenomenon, I certainly did not anticipate this happening," says Austin Craig, a 20-something YouTube pitchman for the product. He plays a character in a lab coat who seems to know everything about bad breath, and more importantly, how to cure it.
In a way, Craig and Orabrush are helping to define the marketing technique with each new video on YouTube.
Who knew a tongue brush to cure bad breath could lead to such drama and hilarity? Turns out, visionaries at Orabrush in Provo tapped into a marvelous modern marketing method, and turned on customers worldwide through it's YouTube Channel.
50,000 fans tune in each week to catch up with the self-deprecating escapades of Morgan the Orabrush Tongue, and his "Diaries of a Dirty Tongue."
They're all a bit amazed at how wacky ads on YouTube deliver sales results for a tongue brush.
Before Morgan, Austin Craig went viral as The Orabrush Guy. He says, he simply made a video one night with friends.
"A couple weeks later, my co-workers are saying, have you checked the view count on your video? It's got tens of thousands of views. It's got 50,000 views. You're hitting 100,00 views, have you watched this?"
13 million hits on that first video; 30 million views of the series. Orabrush launched exclusively on YouTube and Facebook. It went from zero to one million dollars in sales in less than a year, and expects a boost from holiday stocking stuffers.
Now, Orabrush is in 20 Walmarts along the Wasatch Front and 30 retailers globally, after years of retail rejections for the Springville inventor.
"For every two dollars of advertising, we sold one dollar worth of product," says Robert Wagstaff, chuckling about his early futile efforts.
As a mission president for the LDS Church in the Philippines, Wagstaff was getting complaints about the bad breath of his missionaries. He had some science background and eventually invented the Orabrush to solve the problem.
Wagstaff never made a dime on his invention until he found Jeff Harmon in a BYU business class, and followed his blueprint for Internet success. Last year, the work paid off.
"In August, we made our first sale. Never made money in August. But, we did in September, and October and November, and the rest is history." CEO Jeff Davis was a former Procter & Gamble executive. Their idea was to develop a friendship with potential customers, raise their awareness about bad breath, and sell them a cheap simple product.
"We are going through channels to get our message out, create awareness and encourage people to purchase the product," he says. "We've just done it in a reverse way." Orabrush has a quarter-million Facebook fans. Colgate and Crest have less than a fifth of that. Now, Orabrush plans to translate that internet success into even bigger retail sales.
While it's a "reverse marketing" model, Davis says Orabrush needed all of the components of typical marketing to succeed: a good product, good science behind the product, and an engaging message delivered by motivated workers.
"The three generations are about building a great world-class company, " says Davis.
A 76-year-old inventor, a Fortune 500 executive, and a handful of whizkids and creative types from BYU. A business mix that is cleaning up.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:43 Bad Breath Test with TOBUSCUS!by Orabrush573,244 views
- 2:24 Slo-Mo Destruction: 5th Annual Mashable Awardsby Orabrush25,380 views
- 2:17 Would YOU Kiss Somebody who has Bad Breath!?by Orabrush94,302 views
- 2:14 Holy Cow! — Cook & Tasteby Orabrush16,995 views
- 2:10 Orabrush at VidCon—Tongue Trippingby Orabrush18,169 views
- 2:08 How to Cook a Christmas Goose: Cook & Tasteby Orabrush8,673 views
- 2:28 Everything is Better In Slow Motion-Orabrushby Orabrush7,986 views
- 2:07 5 Worst Pickup Lines for Valentines Day —Orabrush.comby Orabrush26,103 views
- 2:44 Bye Bye, Bad Dog Breath —Orapup.comby Orabrush4,182,126 views
- 1:24 Chocolate Hot Dog—Cook & Tasteby Orabrush22,598 views
- 3:13 3 Girls that Hate Bad Breath - Christmas Tongue!!!by Orabrush54,351 views
- 2:44 Bloopers with Tobuscus!by Orabrush116,085 views
- 1:32 Pigs as a Blanket: Cook & Tasteby Orabrush20,985 views
- 1:26 Top Secret Tongue Scientist Debuts Orabrush Tongue Foam!by Orabrush38,527 views
- 1:52 Thanksgiving Leftovers for Breakfast—Cook & Tasteby Orabrush14,892 views
- 2:00 Sauerkraut Bears! — Cook & Tasteby Orabrush16,547 views
- 1:46 5K Foam Fest with Orabrush & Tongue Foamby Orabrush10,553 views
- 1:32 Replace Your Orabrush!by Orabrush50,087 views
- 1:26 Orabrush Cyber Monday Deal!by Orabrush4,504 views
- 1:43 Rootbeer Battered Shrimp—Cook & Tasteby Orabrush10,236 views
- Loading more suggestions...