This video is unavailable.
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 31, 2011
Provided by Alta Bates Summit Medical Center, Berkeley and Oakland, CA
Virtual colonoscopy combines CT scans with sophisticated computer software to produce three-dimensional images of the colon and rectum. The test is less invasive than a conventional colonoscopy.
Risk of the examination is very low and it is well tolerated. The important point is that at a certain age everyone needs to have colon cancer screening in order to identify potential tumors that can be very difficult to treat and to reach such tumors before a more threatening condition arises. This identification can be achieved by virtual colonoscopy or optical colonoscopy. Risk of the examination is very low and it is well tolerated.
Generally this technique is used to screen asymptomatic patients for potential malignancies as mammography is used for the breast...
There is the need to cleanse the bowel to get a clear look at its lining from which cancers arise. Without this precancerous or small cancerous growths may be obscured. The preparation is neither as vigorous nor voluminous as that, which is needed for direct optical colonoscopy. In addition, sedation is not required. The patient can generally immediately resume usual activities.
The examination employs distention of the colon with CO2, which is rapidly absorbed unlike the room air used to distend the colon for optical colonoscopy.
Following distention of the colon with the gas on the scanning table, two low radiation dose thin CT images of the abdomen are obtained. The images require about 15-20 seconds each. The patient is then discharged to go about the day.
Virtual colonoscopies have been shown to have equivalent ability to optical colonoscopies to detect significant growths with potential for malignancy. Very small growths have virtually no potential for cancer. This technique also has the advantage that it can "see" behind the normal folds in the colon lining that may not be able to be visualized by optical colonoscopy.
Standard YouTube License
- 0:27 Pinworms found on colonoscopyby DrKenChiFeatured 212,408
- 9:19 Doctor Tv se somete a un examen de colon para evitar cáncerby americatvmagazines 5,582 views
- 8:08 Prepare for a Colonoscopyby MD Anderson Cancer Center 136,300 views
- 7:55 VRADS - CT Colonographyby valleyrads 597 views
- 1:57:24 Titanic: A Night to Remember (1958) Kenneth More, Ronald Allen and Robert Ayres HISTORIC DRAMAby TheCinemaVampire 885,193 views
- 2:37 See What to Expect at a Colonoscopyby About 38,606 views
- 2:45 Colonoscopy Video Tour: Removal of a Colon Polyp (Polypectomy)by ACGastroenterology 108,437 views
- 2:24 Virtual Colonoscopy - Lexington Diagnostic Centerby LDCMRI 3,064 views
- 4:04 Virtual Colonoscopy Advantages| Boulder Heart Scanby BoulderScan 2,055 views
- 8:06 AGMG - COLONOSCOPY + EGD (Dual Procedure)by agmgvids 141,106 views
- 3:36 VIRTUAL COLONOSCOPYby Tommaso Venettoni 4,391 views
- 3:57 Mark's Colonoscopyby WDTNTV 41,000 views
- 4:00 Top 3 Exercises for Plantar Fasciitisby Madden PT 43,167 views
- 3:56 Examination of the Pregnant Woman: Examination of the pregnant abdomenby openmichigan 336,165 views
- 9:01 Simple Stretching for Plantar Fasciitisby alamofamilyfootcare 107,205 views
- 2:14 Colonoscopy Video Tour: Discovery of a Cancerous Polyp (Colon Cancer)by ACGastroenterology 231,643 views
- 9:22 CANCER SURVIVOR AT 33, COLON CANCER & CHEMOTHERAPYby Anoushkaification 1,530 views
- 4:45 3'30" Total Colonoscopy:TCS:4'30" up to Ileum endby bluedragon611tak 108,966 views
- 1:29:59 Titanic The Final Word With James Cameron (2012) 720p HDby mathy906 1,170,256 views
- 5:54 My Colonoscopy: From Beginning To "End" - MUSC Healthby muschealth 131,726 views
- Loading more suggestions...