RHex the Parkour Robot
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 23, 2013
RHex is an all-terrain walking robot that could one day climb over rubble in a rescue mission or cross the desert with environmental sensors strapped to its back.
Pronounced "Rex," like the over-excited puppy it resembles when it is bounding over the ground, RHex is short for "robot hexapod," a name that stems from its six springy legs.
Legs have an advantage over wheels when it comes to rough terrain, but the articulated legs often found on walking robots require complex, specialized instructions for each moving part. To get the most mobility out of RHex's simple, one-jointed legs, Penn researchers are essentially teaching the robot Parkour. Taking inspiration from human free-runners, the team is showing the robot how to manipulate its body in creative ways to get around all sorts of obstacles.
The RHex platform was first developed through a multi-university collaboration more than a decade ago. Graduate student Aaron Johnson and professor Daniel Koditschek, both of the Department of Electrical and Systems Engineering in the School of Engineering and Applied Science, are working on a version of RHex known as XRL, or X-RHex Lite. This lighter and more agile version of the robot, developed in Koditschek's Kod*Lab, a division of Engineering's General Robotics, Automation, Sensing and Perception (GRASP) Lab, is ideal for testing new ways for it to run, jump, and climb.
By activating its legs in different sequences, XRL can execute double jumps, flips, and, through a combination of moves, even pull-ups. For the tallest obstacles, the robot can launch itself vertically, hook its front legs on the edge of the object it's trying to surmount, then drag its body up and over. The researchers fully demonstrated this particular maneuver under more controlled conditions in the lab.
The paper where Johnson and Koditschek outlined these capabilities—"Toward a Vocabulary of Legged Leaping"—was selected as a finalist for best student paper at the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation in May.
"What we want is a robot that can go anywhere, even over terrain that might be broken and uneven," Johnson says. "These latest jumps greatly expand the range of what this machine is capable of, as it can now jump onto or across obstacles that are bigger than it is."
For more info: http://www.upenn.edu/spotlights/robot...
The scientific paper from the lab: http://kodlab.seas.upenn.edu/Aaron/IC...
Video Produced and Directed by Kurtis Sensenig (Twitter: @ksensenig)
Text by Evan Lerner
Music: "Stretched Out" by Hedgehog's Dilemma
Standard YouTube License
- 9:59 Special Effects Secrets of Wired's Comic-Con Robotby Tested Featured 63,955
- 11:58 RHex - The Extended Cutby University of Pennsylvania2,353 views
- 1:40 Robot Quadrotors Perform James Bond Themeby University of Pennsylvania3,582,441 views
- 2:10 Metamaterials: What They Are and Why They're Importantby University of Pennsylvania7,594 views
- 1:49 Rep Rap 3D Printing Blood Vessel Networksby University of Pennsylvania123,243 views
- 40:18 How Robots Will Change the World - BBC Documentaryby supecx macol1,087,494 views
- 5:59 The Robot Dragonflyby Jayant Ratti245,754 views
- 4:46 Carl Sagan destroys creationist in debateby tehjow802,875 views
- 3:30 New York's Real Life Transformer Robotby Barcroft TV363,260 views
- 14:12 Titan the Robot's World Tour ft. Rihanna, JLS, Will Smith, Jackie Chan & Hugh Jackmanby titanontv847,687 views
- 3:25 A very human-like robot invented by Japanese engineersby wendy smith1,847,029 views
- 32:30 Robot Evolutionby MrStapelton105,942 views
- 7:49 Top 3 Humanoid Robots In The World! - Robots Dominate World!!!by ForeverSupernova169,100 views
- 5:04 STRANGE but GENIUS Caterpillar Speed Trick - Smarter Every Day 93by SmarterEveryDay737,118 views
- 4:20 MorpHex part IIIby Zenta2,525,639 views
- 3:01 Assassin's Creed 4 Meets Parkour in Real Life - Comic-Con - 4Kby devinsupertramp5,936,356 views
- 4:47 Students Build Award-Winning Robot Exoskeletonby WSJDigitalNetwork62,281 views
- 1:52 T8 the Bio Inspired 3D Printed Spider Octopod Robotby Robugtix1,816,239 views
- 3:08 Robot Challenge 2013: championship for self-made, autonomous, and mobile robotsby JAKE The Video Blog72,256 views
- 2:35 CHARLI Robot Gangnam Styleby Dennis Hong1,406,084 views
- Loading more suggestions...