Korean rice dessert drink (Shikhye:식혜)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 9, 2009
Here's how to make the Korean rice dessert drink sikhye. The full recipe is on my website: http://www.maangchi.com/recipes/sikhye
A package of barley malt powder, 2 cups of rice, 2 cups of sugar (adjust to your taste), 24-30 cups of water, and pine nuts
1. Put 1 package of barley malted powder (1 pound) in a large basin and mix it with 24-30 cups of water. Let it sit for 2 hours until all the dregs are sunk to the bottom of the basin.
2. Make rice and set it aside. How to make rice using a pot:
Wash 2 cups of short grain rice. Drain and put in a pot with thick bottom.
Pour 1.5 cups of water into the pot. Soak it for an hour and close the lid.
Bring the pot to a boil over medium heat for 10 minutes.
Open the lid and turn the rice over with a rice scoop or spoon.
Simmer it over low heat for another 10 minutes! You will have nice fluffy rice!
3. When the mixed liquid of barley malt powder and water is completely separated (it takes about 1.5 hours-2 hours), pour the clear liquid from the top into your rice cooker. *tip: if you have leftover clear liquid, save it and keep it in the refrigerator. We are going to use it later.
4. Add 1 cup of sugar and the cooked rice.
5. Stir it and set the rice cooker's function to "warm" for 4- 5 hours. Be sure not to set it "cook." The reason for setting it to "warm" is to ferment the rice so that the cornstarch from the rice converts to sugar. If you boil it, the fermenting process will stop.
6. Throw out the sediments sunk on the bottom of the basin.
7. 4 hours later, check to see if the rice is fermented or not. When the rice is fermented, a few grains of rice will float to the top of liquid.
8. Strain the rice and rinse it in cold water. Set it aside in a container. Add a little cold water and keep it in the refrigerator.
9. Transfer the liquid from the rice cooker to a large pot, and add the saved leftover liquid from #3 if you have it.
10. Add 1 cup of sugar and bring to a boil. * tip: you can add more water and sugar if you want.
11. Remove the foam floating on the top of the boiling liquid.
12. Cool it down and transfer it to a glass jar or bottle and keep it refrigerator.
13. To eat, serve it cold in a bowl with a scoop of rice from #8. Drop in a few pine nuts, just before serving it. * tip: you can add crushed ice made with sikhye liquid. If you like all your rice grains to float, add 1 tbs of sugar and mix it right before serving it.
Standard YouTube License
- 8:03 Sweet pancakes (hoddeok:호떡)by Maangchi Featured 371,673
- 12:02 Rainbow rice cake ("mujigaeddeok":무지개떡)by Maangchi513,392 views
- 9:11 Making mandu (Korean dumplings: 만두)by Maangchi403,219 views
- 6:35 Chicken and rice porridge (dakjuk: 닭죽)by Maangchi171,145 views
- 6:50 Spicy fish soup (maeuntang)by Maangchi177,310 views
- 5:41 Sweet flower pancakes ("hwajeon")by Maangchi99,377 views
- 9:06 Squash pancakes (hobakjeon:호박전)by Maangchi73,107 views
- 5:38 Korean ginseng chicken soup ("samgyetang":삼계탕)by Maangchi241,869 views
- 6:06 Rice cake soup (떡국)by Maangchi113,729 views
- 10:50 Rice cake for Chuseok (Songpyeon:송편)by Maangchi278,615 views
- 5:19 How to make Korean hot pepper paste (Gochujang:고추장)by Maangchi181,681 views
- 8:39 Triangle kimbap (samgak kimbap:삼각김밥)by Maangchi145,755 views
- 7:11 Beef short ribs (galbijjim:갈비찜)by Maangchi138,481 views
- 6:22 Potato side dishes (Gamjabokkeum: 감자볶음)by Maangchi285,021 views
- 10:53 Kimchiby Maangchi1,283,285 views
- 4:42 Korean Food: Sweet Rice Drink, SikHye (식혜)by Aeri's Kitchen33,160 views
- 4:21 Green onion pancake (Pajeon: 파전)by Maangchi155,096 views
- 6:18 Korean spicy stir-fried pork (Jeyukbokkeum:제육볶음)by Maangchi414,692 views
- 6:32 Steamed eggs (Gyeranjjim:계란찜)by Maangchi270,192 views
- 6:41 Butternut squash porridge (hobakjuk:호박죽)by Maangchi64,369 views
- Loading more suggestions...