Be Your Own Therapist
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 7, 2008
Google Tech Talks
October 3, 2008
We spend our lives being seduced by the outside world, believing without question that happiness and suffering come from "out there." In reality, Buddhist teachings explain that they come from the way we perceive and interpret things, not the things themselves.
This deeply held misconception is at the root of our dissatisfaction, self-doubt, anger, depression, anxiety, and the rest. But our minds can change. By becoming deeply familiar with the workings of our own cognitive processes through introspection and learning to deconstruct them - truly, being our own therapists - we can loosen the grip of these neuroses and grow our marvelous potential for contentment, clarity, and courage, which are at the core of our being.
Speaker: Venerable Robina Courtin
A Tibetan Buddhist nun for 30 years, beloved teacher and power-house personality, Ven. Robina Courtin is Executive Director of Liberation Prison Project, based in San Francisco. (LiberationPrisonProject.org)
A lifeline for people with nothing and no one, since 1996 Liberation Prison Project has supported the spiritual practice of over 15,000 prisoners, mainly in the US and Australia. These days, the project spends $50,000 every month, nearly half of it on salaries and benefits for a fulltime staff of ten (eight in the US and two in Australia, including three former prisoners), supported by a team of 150+ volunteers worldwide.
Ven. Robina travels the world, teaching and raising funds, touching countless hearts and minds with her down-to-earth, no-nonsense packaging of the Buddha's teachings, often filled with tasty stories from her own real-life struggles, attachments and relationships. She is able to put across to her students in and out of prison that change is possible; everyone can learn to develop their qualities, to be joyful in the face of difficulties - even on death row.
"Ven. Robina has taught me to look at everything that occurs in my life with a different view," writes one Australian prisoner. "She has given me dignity, courage, and honor."
Standard YouTube License
- 11:03:40 Tibetan Healing Sounds 11 hours - Tibetan bowls for meditation, relaxation, calming, healingby Yoga & Soft Music ~ YogaYak Featured 407,037
- 59:29 Change your Mind Change your Brain: The Inner Conditions...by GoogleTechTalks284,554 views
- 48:54 Cognitive Neuroscience of Mindfulness Meditationby GoogleTechTalks343,790 views
- 1:03:42 Nutrients for Better Mental Performanceby GoogleTechTalks199,651 views
- 1:37:43 The Extended Mind: Recent Experimental Evidenceby GoogleTechTalks364,829 views
- 37 videos Play all Exploring Buddhismby alligatorcreek
- 1:38:28 The Most Powerful Video on Spirituality and Happiness - Rare Eckhart Tolle Teaching - Must Seeby LearningTheSecret619,473 views
- 26:20 Mind and its Potential: Working with disturbing emotions in everyday life.by ThinkandBeHappy24,964 views
- 1:41:26 Thich Nhat Hanh - On Letting Goby SourceOfLightMon97,289 views
- 2:05:07 Nature of the Mindby gyalwarinpoche263,937 views
- 1:28:30 How Your Brain Can Turn Anxiety into Calmnessby University of California Television (UCTV)616,629 views
- 1:01:19 "The Buddhist Attitude to Sensuality" by Ajahn Brahmby BuddhistSocietyWA91,574 views
- 1:14:19 How To Stop Worrying and Start Living.wmvby thatdudeRANDY931,727 views
- 59:29 Change your Mind Change your Brain: The Inner Conditions...by Google579,611 views
- 4:15 What every "Enlightened person" knows, but never talks about...by YouAreCreators231,670 views
- 1:43:32 Alexander Technique Workshop with Rebecca Tuffeyby CUNYQueensborough41,566 views
- 56:10 The Power of Mindfulness & Compassionby BuddhistSocietyWA53,449 views
- 1:12:05 Mindfulness with Jon Kabat-Zinnby Google1,938,583 views
- 20:55 Matthieu Ricard: The habits of happinessby TED740,985 views
- 11:17 Pema Chödrön: Fear and Fearlessnessby Sounds True93,607 views