This video is unavailable.
Be Your Own Therapist
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 7, 2008
Google Tech Talks
October 3, 2008
We spend our lives being seduced by the outside world, believing without question that happiness and suffering come from "out there." In reality, Buddhist teachings explain that they come from the way we perceive and interpret things, not the things themselves.
This deeply held misconception is at the root of our dissatisfaction, self-doubt, anger, depression, anxiety, and the rest. But our minds can change. By becoming deeply familiar with the workings of our own cognitive processes through introspection and learning to deconstruct them - truly, being our own therapists - we can loosen the grip of these neuroses and grow our marvelous potential for contentment, clarity, and courage, which are at the core of our being.
Speaker: Venerable Robina Courtin
A Tibetan Buddhist nun for 30 years, beloved teacher and power-house personality, Ven. Robina Courtin is Executive Director of Liberation Prison Project, based in San Francisco. (LiberationPrisonProject.org)
A lifeline for people with nothing and no one, since 1996 Liberation Prison Project has supported the spiritual practice of over 15,000 prisoners, mainly in the US and Australia. These days, the project spends $50,000 every month, nearly half of it on salaries and benefits for a fulltime staff of ten (eight in the US and two in Australia, including three former prisoners), supported by a team of 150+ volunteers worldwide.
Ven. Robina travels the world, teaching and raising funds, touching countless hearts and minds with her down-to-earth, no-nonsense packaging of the Buddha's teachings, often filled with tasty stories from her own real-life struggles, attachments and relationships. She is able to put across to her students in and out of prison that change is possible; everyone can learn to develop their qualities, to be joyful in the face of difficulties - even on death row.
"Ven. Robina has taught me to look at everything that occurs in my life with a different view," writes one Australian prisoner. "She has given me dignity, courage, and honor."
Standard YouTube License
- 1:28:30 How Your Brain Can Turn Anxiety into Calmnessby UCtelevisionFeatured 385,035
- 59:28 Change your Mind Change your Brain: The Inner Conditions...by GoogleTechTalks 233,506 views
- 1:29:54 Think faster focus better and remember moreRewiring our brain to stay younger...by GoogleTechTalks 418,935 views
- 1:02:29 The Women's Meditation Tradition in Tibetby GoogleTechTalks 45,451 views
- 1:03:42 Nutrients for Better Mental Performanceby GoogleTechTalks 162,923 views
- 47 videos Play all Buddhist Teachingsby saltyoldsails
- 26:43 Discovering Buddhism Module 1 - Mind and its Potentialby fpmtinc 204,517 views
- 26:20 Mind and its Potential: Working with disturbing emotions in everyday life.by ThinkandBeHappy 12,299 views
- 1:18:52 Venerable Robina at Maitripa (Day 1)by MaitripaCollege 8,702 views
- 52:59 How Mindfulness Creates Understanding (The Buddhist TV)by Yuttadhammo Bhikkhu 88,248 views
- 10:58 Buddhist Monk saw Buddha in HELL!! (english translation)by AprilandWayneShow 254,195 views
- 56:34 Buddha - A Documentary About Buddhismby ComeThailand 788,320 views
- 56:44 What is Wrong with Buddhismby Brian Ruhe 82,499 views
- 42:43 Buddhist Monk Levitation - Full Movieby wudu1982 493,523 views
- 11:17 Pema Chödrön: Fear and Fearlessnessby Sounds True 72,802 views
- 10:00 Doubling Your Brain Power (Part 1 of 4) - The Super Consciousnessby GeniusBrainPower 605,226 views
- 1:20:12 Teaching of the Dalai Lama: Introduction to Buddhismby EmoryUniversity 247,912 views
- 4:36 Buddhist Nun Speaks After 45 Years of Solitary Retreatby Maxwell Pietsch 52,854 views
- 15:03 TIBETAN BUDDHIST TEACHINGS ON REINCARNATIONby ITMWORLDVIDEOS 31,561 views
- 7:00 Basic Buddhist Teachingby Win Corduan 59,700 views
- Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche 72 videos2K
- 8:19 The Venerable Robina Courtinby uusfmembership 7,455 views
- Loading more suggestions...