Haiti Cholera Hill Briefing, April 18 2012
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 25, 2012
Video of Congressional Briefing on Cholera in Haiti, co-sponsored by the O'Neill Institute and CEPR
In October of 2010, less than ten months after being hit by a devastating earthquake, Haiti experienced a cholera epidemic that quickly spread throughout the small nation. The waterborne disease has now killed at least 7,050 Haitians and sickened over 531,000 others. Meanwhile, nearly half a million earthquake victims remain without adequate housing, and Haitians continue to face one of the most challenging clean water and sanitation situations in the world. As the rainy season sets in, the country is experiencing a notable increase in the number of deaths attributed to cholera, according to the UN.
This congressional briefing, co-sponsored by the Georgetown Law Center's O'Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law and CEPR, examines U.S. and international efforts to address what has become the world's worst active cholera epidemic. Panelists discuss what urgent measures are needed to contain the spread of the disease, as well as longer-term proposals for preventing cholera from becoming endemic to Haiti. Finally, panelists consider the role of international legal mechanisms for protecting health and human rights violations in Haiti's greater post-earthquake context.
The video includes introductory remarks by U.S. Representative John Conyers, Jr. (D-MI) and concluding remarks by U.S. Representative Maxine Waters (D-CA).
Co-Director, Center for Economic and Policy Research
Dr. Luiz Augusto Galvão
Manager, Sustainable Development & Environmental Health Area
Pan-American Health Organization/World Health Organization
Director of Policy and Advocacy, Partners In Health
Brian Concannon, Jr.
Director, Institute for Justice and Democracy in Haiti
Senior Human Rights Specialist, Inter-American Commission on Human Rights
Moderator: J.P. Shuster
O'Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law
Standard YouTube License
- 1:43:11 Obama in Latin America: The Region's Leftward Shift and the "War on Drugs"by cepr 270 views
- 1:12:27 Haiti Aid Accountability Congressional Briefingby cepr 965 views
- 1:27:49 What Next for the Eurozone? Macroeconomic Policy and the Recession (Unedited Version)by cepr 796 views
- 1:01:08 The Eurozone Recession: Are There Alternatives?by cepr 1,560 views
- 50:18 CEPR Seminar 10: Patents, Copyrights, & Other Protectionist Barriersby cepr 252 views
- 4:29 The Story of Choleraby globalhealthmediaorg 61,510 views
- 8:08 Le SIDA et la Tuberculose en Haiti - UNE LUTTE QUOTIDIENNEby undphaiti 533 views
- 5:04 Seeking Justice: Cholera in Haitiby PulitzerCenter 1,722 views
- 4:11 Surrounded By Death - Cholera in Haiti's Watersby LIFESAVERChannel 2,388 views
- 16:15 Ravine Pintade: Building Back "Better" in Haitiby CHFinternational 16,878 views
- 3:36 Pestel, Haiti Cholera Final.mov.mpgby whmnewlife 372 views
- 3:16 Clean Water for the Developing Worldby MichiganTech 672 views
- 13:54 HAITI NEWS - RECONSTRUCTION, NOUVEAU MODEL DE MAISONSby Valerio saint-louis 36,904 views
- 4:12 DESTINATION ILE-A-VACHEby belovedhaiti 9,698 views
- 3:40 U-N-Sued-Over-Cholera-Outbreak-In-Haiti[www.savevid.com].3gpby ijdh 6,511 views
- 1:12:49 Интервью Владимира Путина телеканалу Russia Today (11.06.2013)by Дмитрий Рогозин 30,537 views
- 33:38 Yale International Relations Association travels to Haitiby dali1088 215 views
- 19:36 Dosye 18 - Ruée vers l'or en Haïti : Ki yès k ap vin rich?by AyitiKaleJe 15,724 views
- 10:01 Haiti: We will bend but we will not break - part 1by longmemoryprod 8,643 views
- 5:17 Nouvea Kiskeya, republic of Haiti 2013by MrEmerine 62,193 views
- Loading more suggestions...