Haiti Cholera Hill Briefing, April 18 2012
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 25, 2012
Video of Congressional Briefing on Cholera in Haiti, co-sponsored by the O'Neill Institute and CEPR
In October of 2010, less than ten months after being hit by a devastating earthquake, Haiti experienced a cholera epidemic that quickly spread throughout the small nation. The waterborne disease has now killed at least 7,050 Haitians and sickened over 531,000 others. Meanwhile, nearly half a million earthquake victims remain without adequate housing, and Haitians continue to face one of the most challenging clean water and sanitation situations in the world. As the rainy season sets in, the country is experiencing a notable increase in the number of deaths attributed to cholera, according to the UN.
This congressional briefing, co-sponsored by the Georgetown Law Center's O'Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law and CEPR, examines U.S. and international efforts to address what has become the world's worst active cholera epidemic. Panelists discuss what urgent measures are needed to contain the spread of the disease, as well as longer-term proposals for preventing cholera from becoming endemic to Haiti. Finally, panelists consider the role of international legal mechanisms for protecting health and human rights violations in Haiti's greater post-earthquake context.
The video includes introductory remarks by U.S. Representative John Conyers, Jr. (D-MI) and concluding remarks by U.S. Representative Maxine Waters (D-CA).
Co-Director, Center for Economic and Policy Research
Dr. Luiz Augusto Galvão
Manager, Sustainable Development & Environmental Health Area
Pan-American Health Organization/World Health Organization
Director of Policy and Advocacy, Partners In Health
Brian Concannon, Jr.
Director, Institute for Justice and Democracy in Haiti
Senior Human Rights Specialist, Inter-American Commission on Human Rights
Moderator: J.P. Shuster
O'Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law
Standard YouTube License
- 4:11 Surrounded By Death - Cholera in Haiti's Watersby Lifesaver Systems Ltd.Featured 2,336
- 1:12:27 Haiti Aid Accountability Congressional Briefingby cepr 875 views
- 1:27:49 What Next for the Eurozone? Macroeconomic Policy and the Recession (Unedited Version)by cepr 375 views
- 1:01:08 The Eurozone Recession: Are There Alternatives?by Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR) 1,556 views
- 50:18 CEPR Seminar 10: Patents, Copyrights, & Other Protectionist Barriersby cepr 204 views
- 24:02 Inside Story - Haiti's cholera epidemicby AlJazeeraEnglish 33,852 views
- 49:49 CEPR Seminar 1: The Basics of Good Economics - Framing the Issues Rightby cepr 248 views
- 18:35 Focus on Haiti - The politics of rice - Part 1by AlJazeeraEnglish 10,510 views
- 8:08 Le SIDA et la Tuberculose en Haiti - UNE LUTTE QUOTIDIENNEby undphaiti 250 views
- 4:12 DESTINATION ILE-A-VACHEby belovedhaiti 9,389 views
- 1:26 Laurent Lamothe rencontre la Croix-Rouge américaine pour réclamer l'argent promis à Haïti.by Laurent Lamothe 2,001 views
- 33:38 Yale International Relations Association travels to Haitiby dali1088 194 views
- 1:45:06 Noam Chomsky on Haiti 11/19/94by argusfest 1,831 views
- 3:09 Manifestation 29 Mars 2012 pour le respect de la constitution Haitienne de 1987by lenouvelliste 11,151 views
- 6:06 Haiti - Reconstruction: Invest in Haitiby Reconstruction Haiti 1,559 views
- 3:16 Clean Water for the Developing Worldby MichiganTech 672 views
- 19:36 Dosye 18 - Ruée vers l'or en Haïti : Ki yès k ap vin rich?by AyitiKaleJe 14,867 views
- 3:40 U-N-Sued-Over-Cholera-Outbreak-In-Haiti[www.savevid.com].3gpby ijdh 6,469 views
- 0:15 President Barrack Obama Haiti Constructionby Defacto4life 1,626 views
- 10:43 The Scam of Haiti!by JorYanandBrothers 1,244 views
- Loading more suggestions...