Simple Living: Picking a Wild Salad
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 24, 2012
While foraging, I make a quick wild salad consisting of sea beets, corn marigold greens, yellow mustard leaves, mallow leaves and flowers, dandelion greens, prickly lettuce, smooth sow thistles, sourgrass, wild water-cured olives and lemon juice (from a street tree).
I wrote a brief article about a bad experience I had with Youtube's
automated copyright violation system, and a company called
Basically, their system identified this video as containing copyright
infringing music owned by Rumblefish. They put ads on it, with the
proceeds of the ads going partly to Rumblefish, partly to Google.
Since there's no music in my video, I disputed the claimed copyright
violation, and Rumblefish was sent a link to my video to check it and
see if Youtube's automated system had made a mistake.
They checked the video, and told Youtube that there was no mistake,
and that they do own the music in the video. So the dispute was
closed, and there was seemingly nothing else I could do.
But I wrote an article about it on Slashdot, and somehow it went viral
today, spreading all over the web, and Rumblefish backtracked,
released my video and sent me an apology.
This is the notice Youtube sent me after Rumblefish reviewed my dispute:
"All content owners have reviewed your video and confirmed their
claims to some or all of its content:
Entity: rumblefish Content Type: Musical Composition"
I did email Rumblefish to complain, and posted a thead on Google's
help forum, but they didn't do anything until my article on Slashdot
went viral and woke them from their slumber.
So they've now released my video and removed their ads, but for a while they were making money from my video. I think if this were made more public, Google would be forced to change their system and this would stop happening. Rumblefish and other similar intellectual property companies have been gaming the system like this for a while now, and this is just the first time the public outcry has been big enough to force them to correct their behaviour.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:17:55 Project Serpo : The Zeta Reticuli Exchange Programby Disclose Truth TVFeatured 45,413
- 9:59 Tithing is NOT Scripturalby Denny Rice 58,896 views
- 3:35 The American who quit money to live in a caveby theworldvideos1's channel 43,152 views
- 6:16 wood burning stoves - super efficient rocket mass heaterby paulwheaton12 401,091 views
- 1:37 Tossing The Salad In Jail - Life In American Prisonby $.M Production™ 447,839 views
- 12:20 Simple living , living cheap , debt free , part 1by The66Channel 2,623 views
- 10:53 Wild Living with Sunny: Episode 5 - Wild Food Summit IIby Sunny Savage 43,541 views
- 6:46 Thoreauvian simple living: unelectrified, timeless tiny homeby kirstendirksen 215,856 views
- 10:02 Living in The Forest Sneaky Peatby Barry Stutesman 13,744 views
- 41:12 Frugal Living, practical tips for saving money - Lynnae McCoy - theDove.usby theDoveTV 30,178 views
- 5:08 Simple life Manhattan: a 90-square-foot microstudioby Kirsten Dirksen of *faircompanies 5,198,413 views
- 26:41 Simple Living with Wanda Urbanska #401: Simple Living In the Cityby Janson Media 9,100 views
- 14:35 Wild Edible Plants In My Yardby ColoradoSurvivalist 1,483 views
- 11:19 Frodo's simple living: Hobbit Holes for tiny homes & shedworkingby kirstendirksen 154,756 views
- 10:20 Simple Living: How to Build Raised Beds on Compacted Rockby Simple Living 2,257 views
- 8:06 Urban Homestead - Living the Real Simple Life (ABC Nightline)by The Urban Homestead project - Media Channel 468,233 views
- 4:31 Todd Snider - Brokeby ewecylinder 44,204 views
- 28:46 TYT - Extended Clip - March 31, 2011by TheYoungTurks 14,321 views
- 27:50 A Young Couple Find Freedom in Simple Livingby Peak Moment: Locally Reliant Living for Challenging Times 43,134 views
- 2:45 bushcraft wild edibles: my favourite wild saladby bushcraftmyway 4,277 views
- Loading more suggestions...