Marco Rubios dry mouth moment
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 13, 2013
No matter what your political leaning, who cannot sympathize with Sen. Marco Rubio and his desperate need to slake his parched throat on Tuesday night? My question here is largely an accusation given the swift, sarcastic remarks that Rubio's drink of water generated on Twitter, the Don Rickles of social networks. I mean, didn't anyone notice how professionally and expertly Rubio kept eye contact with the camera as he fumbled for his bottle of Poland Spring?
No, apparently no one did. Twitter memes and GIFs appeared faster than bacteria on raw chicken. USA Today reported that "about 9,200 tweets per minute at about 10:43 p.m. ET, after Rubio's sip of water. For a short time, #watergate and Poland Spring were trending on the micro-blogging site."
Rubio wasn't the only target of Watergate II: Revenge of an Astronomically Bored Populace. Even Poland Spring got criticized: Fast Company magazine felt the bottled water company should have had its own Oreo moment.
By today, of course, Rubio was hitting the morning talk shows to downplay his drinking problem and get back on message. Some commentators were already trying hard to not get splashed by Rubio's awkward moment.
Perhaps more of us might feel sympathy for Rubio if we paused for a second to consider our truly complicated relationship with water: We can't live without it, we can't live with movies about it. With each passing day, we run into ever-escalating troubles with water. One day we all may have a horrific case of dry mouth.
Consider these few examples (and perhaps suggest more of your own):
* Our rivers are unfit for swimming, if not marine life.
* Our drinking water once tasted like a lead pencil.
* Our drinking water is/was/continues to be so bad that one chef decided to charge extra for the filtered kind.
* The U.S. water supply is shrinking faster than Rubio's presidential hopes.
These are real water problems. A nervous Marco Rubio just couldn't quench his thirst with the composed, self-possessed manner we expect of all politicians.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:52 Marco Rubio: "Stay Thirsty My Friend"by 3rdEyeVidzFeatured 7,210
- 4:33 GOP Response Rubios Hilarious Water Breakby AllWorldNews1 815 views
- 5:26 Ex-girlfriend of Christopher Dorner speaks out how he was stressed out and bottled upby TheNewsthatmatters1 488 views
- 0:50 CNN's Wolf Blitzer - is Marco Rubio's Sip of Water a 'Career-Ender?'by Human Activity System 2,981 views
- 8:56 Marco Rubio: A GOP rising starby CBS News 6,817 views
- 2:11 Back to the Future - Parks and Recreation Highlightby Parks and Recreation 8,990 views
- 1:46 Oscar Pistorius charged with murderby TheNewsthatmatters1 868 views
- 2:12 The Marco Rubio Water Bottle Music Videoby Human Activity System 1,914 views
- 1:54 Marco Rubio, the Water Bottle and So Many Jokesby NewsyPolitics's channel 3,570 views
- 7:24 Take Me Out: Most Awkward Moment In TV Historyby ImmaBenderRodriguez's channel 142,917 views
- 1:11 Senator Marco Rubio's awkward sip of water: 'The funniest drink of water in world history!' Epicby shockingnewstv 6,097 views
- 4:09 State of The Rubio: Late Night Comedians Go After Sen. Marco Rubio's 'Water Bottle'by PoliticalArticles.NET 1,122 views
- 4:24 Stop Dry Mouthby MobileMarketSystems 2,132 views
- 1:31 Rubio's Response To State Of The Union Addressby Gabriella Nicole 897 views
- 2:36 Is the Dorner manhunt overby TheNewsthatmatters1 151 views
- 1:24 Rubio's water break a big hit onlineby CNN 111,550 views
- 7:25 Rubio on The View (6/25/12)by Marco Rubio 21,614 views
- 7:24 "Watergate" Scandal? - State Of The Union Rubio's Response - O'Reillyby Massteaparty 266 views
- 1:54 When Marco Rubio drank Clint Eastwood's water, and 9 other amazing water drinking videosby Charlie Spiering 16,854 views
- 0:25 Marco Rubio Water Bottle Moment at State of the Union Resurfaces in GMA Interviewby AllWorldNews1 1,574 views
- Loading more suggestions...