Road Rage Driver Tries to Kill Cyclist on Hood of Car
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 19, 2008
From The Oregonian:
Portland police arrested a 21-year-old man suspected of chasing down a cyclist Sunday and driving off at a high rate of speed -- with the cyclist hanging onto the hood.
James F. Millican was arrested on attempted second-degree assault, driving under the influence of intoxicants, third-degree criminal mischief and reckless driving.
According to a police account, the incident began when the cyclist, Jason Scott Rehnberg, 37, yelled at Millican to slow down as they were traveling near Southeast 58th Avenue and Washington Street, police said. Rehnberg told police that "his remarks may have included profanity," according to a news release.
Millican, angered by the cyclist's remarks, started to chase Rehnberg in his car, police said. Rehnberg biked into the neighborhood to avoid him. After waiting, he returned to Southeast 58th Avenue, police said.
Millican saw the cyclist and allegedly backed his car up to hit Rehnberg, who jumped off the bike just before it was struck by the car, police said.
Rehnberg and two other witnesses tried to block the car, saying they wanted to get the license plate. Millican allegedly drove at the three and struck Rehnberg, who was thrown onto the hood. Rehnberg held onto the windshield wipers as the car traveled at a high rate of speed and took a turn.
The car slowed down enough to let Rehnberg off at Southeast 60th Avenue, police said. He was not injured, according to police. A witness, who videotaped the event, turned the recording over to police.
Hometowns were not immediately available for either man.
Millican was arraigned today on charges of second-degree kidnapping (presumably for the ride on the car) DUII, Reckless Driving and second-degree criminal mischief.
The next court date is July 22. Millican asked the judge: "So I have to stay in jail now...for a whole week?"
The report comes just days after another high-profile road rage incident in which a driver, who also is a longtime cycling advocate, chided a cyclist for blowing through a stop sign. The cyclist responded by throwing his bike at the motorist's car and then allegedly striking the driver with the bike.
The incident sparked hundreds of comments to online sites, reflecting tension between cyclists and motorists about how to share the road. Many of the comments complained about how the incident was covered. Read more reaction at BikePortland.org.
View Larger Map
-- Helen Jung; firstname.lastname@example.org
Standard YouTube License
- 2:19 VIOLENT Russian ROAD RAGE Drunk men messed up with the wrong driver!by ALBANIAReiFeatured 327,129
- 2:34 Mr Road Rage Mondeo Man in Car Vs Cyclistby distortedmotion 99,672 views
- 2:24 VEGAS ROAD RAGEby mrcraps711 764,437 views
- 9:01 Pickup driver tries to kill motorcyclist.by Jricks' Page 2,063,804 views
- 1:49 Police Draw Guns To Stop Road Rage Incidentby sakuraguy 487,853 views
- 7:35 road rage compilationby Thirs7 1,140,738 views
- 62 videos Play all Cyclingby MrShortieleeroy
- 4:40 Donald Pettit Killed In Road Rage Incidentby Dreamin' Demon TV 137,945 views
- 2:12 Mom Violence at Critical Massby WheelsOfChange 323,671 views
- 0:45 Video of cyclist rageby Zootraffic 247,004 views
- 1:04 Road Rageby bodybait 58,368 views
- 5:37 Bicycle Commuter Vs. Bad Driversby socomcorky 49,887 views
- 0:43 Californication Bicycle Road Rageby OzSoapbox 114,661 views
- 6:17 Road Rage Fightby clariceave 389,387 views
- 3:56 Road Rageby Shaq1137 580,221 views
- 1:02 Hit By Car At Goodmayesby kmcyc 83,468 views
- 0:59 road rage at its finestby WaRMuNgA13 834,692 views
- 8:24 Road Rage Diffused By Calm Explanation - Video Contains Bad Languageby kmcyc 8,361 views
- 1:33 U-Lock Assault - Violent Cyclist Road Rage Attackby bulletproofcourier 96,162 views
- 0:28 Notting Hill Road Rageby Per Kvalvaag 186,429 views
- 0:48 12/7/07 Noon: Road rage incident caught on cameraby KRQE 741,553 views
- Loading more suggestions...