Photobucket: trends in web-based photo and video
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 1, 2011
Photobucket is one of the dominant players in the online photo storage/photo sharing space, as evidenced by their recently announced partnership with Twitter whereby Photobucket will serve as Twitter's default photo sharing platform. Given their place in the market, Photobucket is in a unique position to spot trends among consumers.
"What most people don't know is we have approximately nine billion photos at Photobucket right now, and that's photos and videos," explains Tom Munro, CEO of Photobucket. "People link those to different web sites, so every day we serve over three, sometimes four, billion images across the web to about 2.5 or 2.6 million different web sites. We do that on a daily basis. When Twitter was out looking for someone who could scale and that they could grow with and [that] they were confident had that size and ability, we were hopefully an obvious choice."
Based on their experience as well as their market research, Photobucket has learned that the proliferation of mobile devices has caused web-based photo and video activity to skyrocket.
"We're doing about 25 million photos from mobile alone every month," says Munro. "That's a significant growth from this time last year. A lot of that growth is on iPhone, and we see a magnitude greater than that on Android...We do a survey semi-annually. The last survey we did was in July, and the results will be released in a week or so. We had 2,500 respondents, and half of those said that they take video on their mobile devices at least once a week. The trends that we see are even more than that. Since January of this year, we've seen a 14x increase in mobile video."
In May, Photobucket released its new Snapbucket application for iPhone and Android devices. The app allows you to snap photos, edit them with filters and effects and share them via Photobucket, Facebook or Twitter. Over 1 million users have downloaded the app, adding to the approximately 20 million unique users of Photobucket apps each month in the U.S. Later this year, Photobucket plans to release updated versions of Snapbucket that will improve sharing and add video.
"There are a couple of advantages to Snapbucket," explains Munro. "Your original isn't destroyed, so you preserve the original, and both the original and the one you've applied the effects to sit at Photobucket, so it's permanent. It's not instant. It's a longer term look at photos and videos and trying to build that over time versus just the moment."
Another interesting finding from Photobucket's semi-annual survey was that half of the respondents still have photos online in more than three different places. Part of Photobucket's future plan is to help users consolidate all these photos in one place that's always there, is backed up and will work regardless of the device used to captured the photo or the device used to view the photo.
"Where we like to think of ourselves is we want to be ubiquitous between mobile, web and consumer electronic devices," says Munro, ""and really let people play in any of those knowing their photos are safe and secure."
Photobucket web site: http://photobucket.com/
Photobucket blog: http://blog.photobucket.com/
Photobucket profile on CrunchBase: http://www.crunchbase.com/company/ontela
Photobucket profile on Twitter: http://twitter.com/photobucket
- 15:22 LiveShare: instant photo sharing from Coolirisby Rackspace Studios, SFO5,611 views
- 29:35 The future of retail with Brickstreamby Rackspace Studios, SFO732 views
- 17:02 Zite: personalized news content on your iPadby Rackspace Studios, SFO1,508 views
- 22:58 ScaleOut Software: In-Memory Data Grids for Enterpriseby Rackspace Studios, SFO402 views
- 32:50 Love & Hip Hop - Season 4, Episode 3 - Lez B Honestby TV Shows22,701 views
- 32:42 Love & Hip Hop - Season 4, Episode 6 - Wife Swapby TV Shows9,005 views
- 32:51 Love & Hip Hop - Season 4, Episode 4 - Picture Thisby TV Shows9,431 views
- 32:36 Love & Hip Hop - Season 4, Episode 5 - Off the Recordby TV Shows13,235 views
- 12:51 How Not to Buy a Car on Craigslistby Rhett & Link 2130,347 views
- 11:50 tutorial para usar photobucket.wmvby rocio velasco1,115 views
- 8:40 Photobucket Tutorial Part Iby Richard Kinzer962 views
- 6:39 PhotoBucket Tutuorial ECMP 355by Char McGIill581 views
- 39:54 How to use Photobucket for eBay Listingsby Danna Crawford2,527 views
- 3:28 How to use Photobucketby allaboutmarbles15,548 views
- 5:24 How to Use Photobucketby Tracie Davis2,683 views
- 11:37 Photobucket Tutorial.MP4by redman8066768 views
- 5:09 The Latest Craigslist Scamby Mark Gilbert38,526 views
- 17:06 Tara Wallace Love & Hip Hop Interview at Breakfast Club Power 105.1 (11/19/2013) (FULL)by 105.1BreakfastClub71,662 views
- 10:00 K Michelle Goes In On Toya, Memphitz, Karlie Redd, And Stevie J and Joselineby DAILY BEAST217,818 views
- 16:45 What's behind Photobucket's first major redesignby Robert Scoble572 views
- Loading more suggestions...