CNN Video: Missouri Mosque Burnt to the Ground (CAIR)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Aug 7, 2012
Members of the Joplin, Missouri, mosque destroyed by a suspicious fire are sad and shaken, but resolute in their plans to stay in the area, a spokeswoman said Tuesday.
"This is a very close-knit community," Kimberly Kester said on CNN's "Early Start." "I think we feel secure and nobody's going to move away because of this action."
A fire that broke out early Monday destroyed the worship house of the Islamic Society of Joplin, a small mosque serving about 50 families in the southwest Missouri city.
The mosque's community is no stranger to attacks, Kester said.
"We've had our mailbox destroyed. Our sign was burned. The sign has been shot with guns. People would sometimes drive by and yell at us," she said.
On July 4, a surveillance camera caught a man throwing some sort of incendiary device onto the building. The resulting fire damaged part of the roof.
Monday's fire burned the mosque to the ground. Carl Junction Fire Chief Bill Dunn said the structure was a complete loss.
Federal agents are investigating Monday's fire, FBI spokeswoman Bridget Patton told CNN.
"If it is determined that the fire was deliberately set or intentionally set, then we will investigate it to the full extent possible," Patton said.
The FBI, in conjunction with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, has issued a $15,000 reward for information in the July incident.
In Monday's fire, which has not yet been officially labeled arson, the Council on American-Islamic Relations has offered a $10,000 reward for information.
Kester declined to say if mosque members believe the same person is behind all of the attacks. She said they're confident investigators will get to the bottom of what happened, even though the mosque's security cameras were destroyed in the fire. She said police have always taken previous complaints very seriously.
"Right now we don't want to jump to any conclusions and we don't want to lay blame on anyone," Kester said. "We're putting our trust in the police force and the firefighters, the investigators, that they will find this person."
The fire, which happened during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, has been unsettling for mosque members, Fauzia Iqbal told CNN affiliate KYTV.
It's frightening, Iqbal said, and "there is a lot of shock and disbelief... because we don't expect this kind of behavior from our fellow citizens."
Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter
Kester said that members of the mosque have received "an outpouring of support" from the Joplin community.
Among other things, St. Philips Episcopal Church in Joplin has offered to open its doors to the mosque's members so they have someplace to pray, KYTV reported.
Standard YouTube License
- 10:48 Mosques in Americaby The Alyona ShowFeatured 28,429
- 1:35 Video: CAIR Offers $10K Reward for Info on Mo. Mosque Fireby CAIRtv 774 views
- 2:28 Video: 4 Teens Arrested for Hate Crimes Against Calif. Mosqueby CAIRtv 1,454 views
- 0:49 Video: Surveillance Photos of Mo. Mosque Arson Suspect Released (CAIR)by CAIRtv 2,709 views
- 4:07 Video: CAIR Co-Sponsors Interfaith Iftar for Burned Missouri Mosqueby CAIRtv 263 views
- 15:34 الأستاذ قلية والديموقراطية الحلقة الخامسة الجزء الأولby rabeeh abozad 3,357 views
- 5:43 Bill Maher to Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Muslim Brotherhood) Quran is hate-filled holy bookby intub8or 7,228 views
- 14:10 "Be Grateful to Your Wife" by Sh. Omar Suleimanby iioc 7,058 views
- 7:50 Racism Hidden Cameraby moonerman100 3,492,391 views
- 5:45 HVAC Engineer | ISEEKby iseekvideouploads 2,629 views
- 1:35 Mosque burns month after arson attemptby CNN 1,424 views
- 9:36 Media Oddities 9by INET Online 4,624 views
- 9:32 Missouri mosque burned to the groundby RT America 5,340 views
- 3:41 Video: CAIR Rep Interviewed on Missouri Mosque Fireby CAIRtv 907 views
- 2:31 Video: Houston Mosque Targeted by Arsonists (CAIR)by CAIRtv 1,525 views
- 2:16 Video: Calif. Man Charged in Dearborn Mosque Threat (CAIR)by CAIRtv 1,497 views
- 2:46 Mosque in US, target of hate crimesby AllDunyaNews 1,113 views
- 4:05 Tsunami mosques Miracle of Allah!by sksaj 1,724,690 views
- 7:09 Video: CAIR-NY Rep Says NYPD Spying Has Chilling Effect on Muslim Religious Rightsby CAIRtv 1,281 views
- 3:12 Learn Urdu - Most Used Expressionsby wisdomcity 163,322 views
- Loading more suggestions...