Food History - Why Should We Care? | The New School for Public Engagement
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 29, 2012
The New School for Public Engagement is a division of The New School, a university in New York City offering distinguished degree, certificate, and continuing education programs in art and design, liberal arts, management and policy, and the performing arts. THE NEW SCHOOL FOR PUBLIC ENGAGEMENT | http://www.newschool.edu/public-engag...
Food history has become a hot topic in popular media, as the growing number of book, articles, and TV shows indicates. At a time when food systems are rapidly changing, and not always for the better, people are interested in the origins of what they eat, what people before them ate, and what they are likely to eat in the future. To celebrate the U.S. publication of Berg Publishers' six-volume Cultural History of Food, this panel gathers contributors to discuss what food history brings to both history and food studies as disciplines and to contemporary debates about food. Can understanding the historical dynamics of food culture, production, and consumption help us make better choices today?
Food Studies | http://www.newschool.edu/ce/foodstudies
Panelists include: Paul Freedman, professor of history, Yale University; Amy Bentley, associate professor of food studies, New York University; Amy Trubek, associate professor of nutrition and food sciences, University of Vermont; Michael Krondl author of Sweet Invention: A History of Dessert; and Maya Joseph, New School faculty member. New School Food Studies coordinator Fabio Parasecoli moderates.
The New School Continuing Education | http://www.newschool.edu/continuing-e...
Sponsored by the Food Studies Program at The New School for Public Engagement.
Location: Wollman Hall, Eugene Lang Building
03/21/2012 6:00 p.m.
Standard YouTube License
- 10:32 Is The 5-Second Rule True?by Vsauce Featured 6,752,363
- 1:55:41 Public Voices, Steven Pinker and Robert Jay Lifton | The New Schoolby The New School3,316 views
- 1:42:06 Economics and Occupy Wall Street: Solutions from The Occupy Handbook | The New Schoolby The New School3,445 views
- 1:17:33 Using Corpora in the Language Classroom | The New School for Public Engagementby The New School10,607 views
- 1:32:10 Public Art Fund Talks at The New School: Roger Hiornsby The New School1,324 views
- 1:51:34 Global Capitalism October 2013 Monthly Updateby RichardDWolff11,363 views
- 23:38 The Pathology of the Rich - Chris Hedges on Reality Asserts Itself pt1by TheRealNews34,124 views
- 2:58:58 Why Is America in Decline? Chris Hedges on the U.S. Empire & Death of the Liberal Class (2012)by The Film Archive33,974 views
- 1:30:14 State of Democracy: Richard Wolffby maxwellschool2,596 views
- 2:07:17 A Cure for Capitalism - Palo Altoby RichardDWolff19,271 views
- 56:47 Chris Hedges Sits Down With Bill Moyersby Abdel A.64,797 views
- 2:54:27 Chris Hedges "Brace Yourself! The American Empire Is Over & The Descent Is Going To Be Horrifying!"by MOXNEWSd0tC0M688,274 views
- 1:49:52 Global Capitalism: June 2013 Monthly Updateby RichardDWolff18,898 views
- 1:35:01 The Costs of Capitalism's Crisis: Who Will Pay?by Joe Friendly58,166 views
- 44:43 Economist Richard Wolff on Capitalism Run Wildby MoyersandCompany13,473 views
- 58:19 Conversations With History: The Politics of Foodby University of California Television (UCTV)14,894 views
- 53:35 Enjoy Eating Saturated Fats: They're Good for You. Donald W. Miller, Jr., M.D.by jersnav154,598 views
- 53:08 Worker Coops and a New Strategy for Laborby RichardDWolff2,939 views
- 1:41:50 Chris Hedges at Moravian College: The Myth of Human Progress and the Collapse of Complex Societiesby Moravian College Tube17,429 views
- 1:36:19 Black Female Voices: A public dialogue between bell hooks and Melissa Harris-Perry | The New Schoolby The New School9,208 views
- Loading more suggestions...