This video is unavailable.
WWII Homecoming Song - Composed by Veterans (Full Version w/ Intro)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 20, 2012
Songwriting Works proudly presents the first published video of a song composed by elders and their loved ones as part of our current award-winning program on the Olympic Peninsula. The song's creation offers a striking example of how collaborative songwriting can improve cognitive function and bring other health and social benefits. During the session, the daughter of one participant awakened to her father's unspoken love for his twin brother — she moved him across the country to spend his final year by his brother's side.
The "World War II Homecoming Song" sprang to life one afternoon during a collaborative songwriting session with more than 30 elders and their loved ones at the Dungeness Courte Alzheimer's Community in Sequim, WA. When four veterans of World War II began to share their stories, the group began to compose a masterpiece both from the perspective of veterans returning home, and the families who greeted them.
The video, created by Aba Kiser, with production support from Andrew Burke and Ben Ericson, references images from the Second World War that spark the imagination and help the song come to life. The song was recorded live during a celebratory concert in Port Townsend on 11/11/2009 with Judith-Kate Friedman, Matt Sircely, Anke Summerhill, Keeth Monta Apgar, Paula Lalish, and the PT Songlines Choir, directed by Laurence Cole. Jeff Leinaweaver provided narration.
Special thanks to the National Endowment for the Arts for making this pilot project possible through a 2009 Creativity and Aging in America grant. SW is the proud recipient of the 2012 MetLife/National Center for Creativity and Aging in America Leadership Award, the 2010 Rosalinde Gilbert Caregiving Legacy Award, the 2008 Society for the Arts in Healthcare Blair Salder International Healing Arts Award, and the 2007 MetLife/American Society on Aging MindAlert Awards.
Learn more at:
Standard YouTube License
- 35:49 WWII US Army Training Film: "Baptism of Fire" (1943)by HumanHistoryArchiveFeatured 829
- 37:06 WW2: Introduction to the P-39 (1942)by The Digital Implosion 378 views
- 20:13 TEDx BHCby CactusNews 1,795 views
- 7:04 Grand Entry Friday BEST 2011 Comanche Homecoming Powwowby simian1842a 1,521 views
- 10:00 The Sixteen Miserere Mei Deusby EtudeFidem 71,689 views
- 4:55 VETERAN'S MEMORIAL SONG "DON'T CRY FOR ME" www.libbyallensongs.comby libbyallensongs 20,458 views
- 3:54 A Brief Introduction to the Holocaust & World War IIby cassie lawson 12,584 views
- 6:11 HD Stock Footage WWII Troops Homecoming End of War Colorby BuyoutFootage 528 views
- 3:33 John McDermott - Legacyby Lawrence047 . 13,580 views
- 10:01 Alvin Paige: My father's journey with Alzheimer's Diseaseby MPaigeB 795 views
- 7:28 (3)-Return to LZ Uplift - (music by: Celtic Woman & John Cougar Mellencampby 173rdAbn6970 3,538 views
- 2:54 God bless the USA - Support our troopsby Ravensword201 1,057 views
- 28:16 Horrible Histories Series 5 Episode 7by ThePrimroseGardens 1,875 views
- 3:51 This Is Still the Land of the Free - Veteran's Day/Memorial Day Song - FREE MUSIC OFFER ENDING!by msouders37 71,754 views
- 10:33 "THE HOMECOMING" Vietnam Veteran Homecoming Celebration Ft. Campbell KY.by AGumptionProduction 20,312 views
- 3:03 We'll Meet Again ~ Anastasia Lee (15 Years Old) ~ World War Two Classic in Vera Lynn styleby TheAnastasiaLee 2,396 views
- 5:58 The Gallant Fusiliers by Máirtín de Cógáin (Captain Mackey's Goatskin & Stringband)by SeverusSnape9999 1,127 views
- 4:55 Who's That Man? book (full version) by Marny Duncan-Caryby LorenaKelly 1,014 views
- 8:25 US WW2 Air Force in color with Allied Music Aces of the Air, Tipperary, Stars and Stripes Foreverby itseasyforyou 58,921 views
- 3:04 Thank You Soldiers - Veteran's Day/Memorial Day Songby msouders37 2,320,393 views
- Loading more suggestions...