Getting C++ Threads Right
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 14, 2007
Google Tech Talks
December, 12 2007
The advent of multicore processors has generated profound debate on the merits of writing parallel programs with threads and locks. Nonetheless, for many application domains, this remains the standard paradigm for writing parallel programs, and at the moment, there is no apparent universal replacement. And it is the focus of this talk.
Somewhat surprisingly, there are a number of often subtle, but generally fixable, industry-wide problems with current approaches to threads programming. We'll focus on probably the most widely used environments, consisting of C or C++ with a standard threads library. Problems span the spectrum from system libraries through language implementations through supporting hardware. They get in the way both in that they often make it difficult to write 100% reliable multi-threaded software, and in that they confuse even the basics of the programming model, thus making it hard to teach. A surprising number of "experts" do not understand the basic rules. Arguably, these problems really need to be addressed to even allow a meaningful comparison to other parallel programming approaches.
Since solutions to these problems generally require a coordinated industry effort, we helped to persuade the C++ standards committee to address them by pursuing a coherent approach to threads in the next C++ standard. The talk will outline some of the proposed solutions, and give an update on this effort.
Speaker: Hans Boehm
Hans Boehm is a member of the advanced architecture group at HP Labs. He has worked on many aspects of programming language design and implementation, including garbage collection and concurrency, and he was HP's representative to the effort to redesign Java's memory model. He is a past Chair of ACM SIGPLAN, and is an ACM Distinguished Scientist.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:12 Bjarne Stroustrup: Advice for C++ Developersby Big ThinkFeatured 64,142
- 1:29:54 Think faster focus better and remember moreRewiring our brain to stay younger...by GoogleTechTalks 419,389 views
- 49:25 Greg Kroah Hartman on the Linux Kernelby GoogleTechTalks 137,551 views
- 58:40 Concepts Extending C++ Templates For Generic Programmingby GoogleTechTalks 34,330 views
- 1:00:18 How To Design A Good API and Why it Mattersby GoogleTechTalks 177,886 views
- C++ Tutorials - Absolute n00b spoonfeed 78 videos14K
- 5:59 Cracking the Coding Interview (Video Preview)by careercup 165,925 views
- 29 videos Play all C++ Programming Tutorials from thenewbostonby thenewboston
- 27:11 C++11 Concurrency, Part 1by Bartosz Milewski 9,551 views
- 2:20 C++ Programmerby CrankyProgrammer 376,933 views
- 1:29:35 Advanced Topics in Programming Languages Series: C++ Threadsby GoogleTalksArchive 6,716 views
- 1:10:14 Tech Talk: Linus Torvalds on gitby Google 1,123,498 views
- 48:55 Multi-Threaded Programming in C++ (lab)by profbillbyrne 3,652 views
- 4:48 Bjarne Stroustrup: Why I Created C++by Big Think 189,759 views
- 23:59 Learn about Multi-threading in Hands-On Embedded Linux course from GogoTraining.comby GogoTrainingTV 6,286 views
- 54:57 C++ Stylisticsby GoogleTechTalks 54,035 views
- 56:23 Tangible Functional Programmingby GoogleTechTalks 41,933 views
- 51:21 Google I/O 2011: Bringing C and C++ Games to Androidby GoogleDevelopers 45,213 views
- 59:41 An Overview of the Coming C++ (C++0x) Standardby GoogleTechTalks 48,168 views
- 58:39 Massively Multiplayer Open Source Game Developmentby GoogleTechTalks 51,292 views
- 5:38 C++ Threads Using Boost in 5 Minutesby Jeff Benshetler 5,733 views
- 51:58 Learning from StackOverflow.comby GoogleTechTalks 102,676 views
- Loading more suggestions...