Authors@Google: Ashraf Ghani & Clare Lockhart
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 25, 2008
The Authors at Google program was pleased to welcome former U.N. advisers to Afghanistan Ashraf Ghani and Clare Lockhart to discuss their latest book, "Fixing Failed States: A Framework for Rebuilding our Fractured World."
Ashraf Ghani played a central role in the design and implementation of the post-Taliban settlement in Afghanistan, serving as UN adviser to the Bonn process and as Finance Minister during Afghanistan's Transitional Administration. He has worked at the World Bank and taught at Johns Hopkins and Berkeley universities. He has been nominated for the job of Secretary General of the United Nations and considered for the job of President of the World Bank. He chairs the Institute for State Effectiveness.
Clare Lockhart is Director for the Institute for State Effectiveness. She has worked for the World Bank, the United Nations and advised the Government of Afghanistan government in Kabul on its strategy and programs from 2002 to 2005. She advises countries and international organizations on state-building and has written widely on the topic. www.effectivestates.org
In Fixing Failed States, the authors describe the effort to save failed states--vividly and convincingly--offering an on-the-ground picture of why past efforts have not worked and advancing a groundbreaking new solution to this most pressing of global crises. Military force, while certainly necessary on occasion, cannot solve the fundamental problems, and humanitarian interventions cost billions yet do not leave capable states in their wake. Ghani and Lockhart argue that only an integrated state-building approach can heal these failing countries. As they explain, many of these countries already have the resources they need, if only we knew how to connect them to global knowledge and put them to work in the right way. Their state-building strategy, which assigns responsibility equally among the international community, national leaders, and citizens, maps out a clear path to political and economic stability.
This event took place on June 20, 2008 at Google's New York office.
Standard YouTube License
- 55:45 Authors@Google: Jonathan Safran Foerby Talks at Google15,892 views
- 56:42 Authors@Google: William Easterlyby Talks at Google17,873 views
- 1:12:00 Authors@Google: Jeffrey D. Sachsby Talks at Google47,403 views
- 1:09:55 Authors@Google: Salman Rushdieby Talks at Google111,657 views
- 1:05:34 بحث ملی/ملی بحثby ashrafghaniaf
- 44:38 TOLOnews Ashraf Ghani Ahmadzai Interview 26 October 2013 / گفتگویی ویژه با اشرف غنی احمدزیby TOLOnewsLive21,657 views
- 1:25:46 Preparing for a Syrian Transition - Legatum Institute Webcastby TheLegatumInstitute1,824 views
- 37:49 National Discussion with Dr. Ashraf Ghani in Kabulby ashrafghaniaf869 views
- 49 videos Play all World Bank Praxis Discussion Seriesby WorldBank
- 57:01 138-Loya Jirga and Security Pact with U.S. Shafie Ayarby sfayar6,911 views
- 53:49 131- Dr. Ashraf Ghani Ahmadzai 2014 Afghanistan Presidential Elections by Shafie Ayarby sfayar17,235 views
- 28:09 TOLOnews 6pm News 07 December 2013by TOLOnewsLive7,910 views
- 11:03 Waiting for 2014 in Afghanistanby Justin Podur3,300 views
- 1:06:55 President Karzai's Speech At Loya Jirga on BSA 21 Nov 2013by TOLOnewsLive22,951 views
- 6:06 Dr Bashardost Analyze the Strange War in Afghanistan - Uppsala, Swedenby Jan Viklund15,575 views
- 51:27 President Karzai's speech in Helmand Province -- March 12, 2013by ARG188035,255 views
- 56:54 139-Afghan star-Sitaraye Afghan/Ariana Sayeed by shafie ayarby sfayar5,609 views
- 26:08 TOLOnews 6pm News 06 December 2013/ طلوع نیوز، ۱۵ قوس/آذر ماه ۱۳۹۲by TOLOnewsLive586 views
- 37:47 Will the Afghanistan War Ever End? U.S. Withdrawal: Obama-Karzai Press Conferenceby Political History16,683 views
- 3:40 Dr. Ashraf Ghani asked about Pakistan border incidentby ISAF Media5,520 views