This video is unavailable.
Authors@Google: Ashraf Ghani & Clare Lockhart
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 25, 2008
The Authors at Google program was pleased to welcome former U.N. advisers to Afghanistan Ashraf Ghani and Clare Lockhart to discuss their latest book, "Fixing Failed States: A Framework for Rebuilding our Fractured World."
Ashraf Ghani played a central role in the design and implementation of the post-Taliban settlement in Afghanistan, serving as UN adviser to the Bonn process and as Finance Minister during Afghanistan's Transitional Administration. He has worked at the World Bank and taught at Johns Hopkins and Berkeley universities. He has been nominated for the job of Secretary General of the United Nations and considered for the job of President of the World Bank. He chairs the Institute for State Effectiveness.
Clare Lockhart is Director for the Institute for State Effectiveness. She has worked for the World Bank, the United Nations and advised the Government of Afghanistan government in Kabul on its strategy and programs from 2002 to 2005. She advises countries and international organizations on state-building and has written widely on the topic. www.effectivestates.org
In Fixing Failed States, the authors describe the effort to save failed states--vividly and convincingly--offering an on-the-ground picture of why past efforts have not worked and advancing a groundbreaking new solution to this most pressing of global crises. Military force, while certainly necessary on occasion, cannot solve the fundamental problems, and humanitarian interventions cost billions yet do not leave capable states in their wake. Ghani and Lockhart argue that only an integrated state-building approach can heal these failing countries. As they explain, many of these countries already have the resources they need, if only we knew how to connect them to global knowledge and put them to work in the right way. Their state-building strategy, which assigns responsibility equally among the international community, national leaders, and citizens, maps out a clear path to political and economic stability.
This event took place on June 20, 2008 at Google's New York office.
Standard YouTube License
- 51:27 President Karzai's speech in Helmand Province -- March 12, 2013by ARG1880Featured 21,629
- 1:12:00 Authors@Google: Jeffrey D. Sachsby AtGoogleTalks 47,066 views
- 1:16:49 Authors@Google: Amy Goodmanby AtGoogleTalks 55,713 views
- 53:28 Authors@Google: Noam Chomskyby AtGoogleTalks 357,137 views
- 55:55 Authors@Google: Avinash Kaushikby AtGoogleTalks 33,154 views
- 9:46 Ashraf Ghani on funding for Afghanistan's futureby australianetworknews 1,308 views
- 4:45 Ashraf Ghani ("Fixing Failed States"): Success Storiesby carnegiecouncil 7,285 views
- 4:42 Ashraf Ghani on post-conflict poverty alleviationby atmain 4,656 views
- 41 videos Play all World Bank Praxis Discussion Seriesby WorldBank
- 4:20 Ashraf Ghani Ahmadzai about Karzaiby Monier Sediqi 18,922 views
- 1:25:46 Preparing for a Syrian Transition - Legatum Institute Webcastby TheLegatumInstitute 590 views
- 4:17 Ashraf Ghani ("Fixing Failed States"): Public Financeby carnegiecouncil 2,713 views
- 27:47 Desh Deshantar - Hamid Karzai's upcoming visit to India: Beginning of New Tiesby Rajya Sabha TV 3,751 views
- 11:00 Dr Ashraf Ghani Ahmadzai's latest interview 04 04by Maiwandafghan11 1,682 views
- 2:31 Ashraf Ghani: Investing in Human Capitalby carnegiecouncil 3,052 views
- 1:00:37 Davos Annual Meeting 2010 - Rebuilding Peace and Stability in Afghanistanby WorldEconomicForum 8,398 views
- 10:00 Dr Bashardost Manazira with Hamid Karzai.flvby DrBashardost 17,016 views
- 59:26 Praxis Discussion Series: Dev't in Post-Conflict Statesby WorldBank 800 views
- 6:11 Ashraf Ghani on integration in Asia at Kapuscinski development lectures (shortcut)by undpeuropecis 507 views
- 6:06 Dr. Ashraf Ghani's speech in 2011 Regional Open Source conference in Kabul Afghanistan Part 1by linuxae 835 views
- 1:36 Dr. Abdullah's Message to the Nation (Pashto)by drabdullahcampaign 6,068 views
- Loading more suggestions...