Evolution IS a Blind Watchmaker
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 5, 2007
In this video I deconstruct the broken watch straw man argument used by creationist / ID supporters to attack evolution. I had to pack a ton of information into this video so you WILL need to pause it periodically.
The basic premise of the argument is that a bunch of parts will never randomly assemble into the correct arrangement to form a properly functioning complex. Once again, creationists / ID supporters miss the basic concept of evolution entirely. No biologists believes, nor is there any evidence that complex systems form spontaneously in one fell swoop. That would be creation. Systems evolve through many intermediates, one step at a time, slowly building up the complexity.
Here I deconstruct their straw man argument. Basically, I simulate clocks as living organisms. Selective pressure is focused on their ability to accurately tell time. NO goal is imposed on the design (you can tell this because every simulation ends with a differently constructed clock). And it works. Clocks evolve through a series of transitional forms: Pendulum, Proto-clock, 1-handed Clock, 2-handed Clock, 3-handed Clock, and 4-handed Clock. Gradually the complexity is built up.
These labels I have assigned to the transitional forms have nothing to do with the simulation itself. They are names I assigned so that we could analyze what the population was doing. The clocks are just clocks, living in their world, trying to tell time as accurately as possible.
One thing I wanted to address but didn't have time in the video is how rapid the transitional period can be. In some simulations the population goes from pendulums to 3-handed Clocks in a hundred or so generations. And the transitions between the transitional forms are even more rapid, happening in about ten generations. Chances are none or a very limited representation of that transition will be preserved in the fossil record.
One thing I should add. The program does not draw the clocks. It maintains, mates, and simulates them, but the drawing must be done manually from the genome matrix.
The program is written in MatLab.
The hand rotations that begin with 86 are 86,000 not 86.000. When YouTube compressed the video it becam hard to tell a comma from a period.
To download this video go to:
To download the program go to:
Alternate link to download Clock Evolution Program:
If you wish to translate this video you can download the PowerPoint file from:
Learn the facts, spread the truth, and most importantly, Think About It.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Clocks" on
- 9:00 Kirk Cameron gets Owned. Evolution is a myth!by PotheadPunditFeatured 1,121,390
- 6:46 Evolution Is Only A Theoryby FFreeThinker 155,982 views
- 8:38 The Watchmaker And Other Creationist Argumentsby FFreeThinker 38,143 views
- 5:49 Evolution In 5 Minutesby latinfurgol 435,685 views
- 2:57 Atheist Girl vs Christian Girlby atheistfriends 215,307 views
- 96 videos Play all Religion/Atheismby WakingLife55
- 1:10:05 Richard Dawkins Answers Students and Teachers Lynchburg VAby Nightmares Jesus 13,715 views
- 9:59 Tree Evolution Simulationby Zongyi Yang 24,526 views
- 10:58 Special Investigation - Evolutionby NonStampCollector 246,810 views
- 9:19 What Every Creationist Must DENYby cdk007 332,051 views
- 10:00 The Origin of Life - Abiogenesis - Dr. Jack Szostakby Think about it. 588,647 views
- 1:19 Whales evolutionby tepapamuseum 648,268 views
- 7:53 Evolution - The 'Best' Counter Argumentsby FFreeThinker 75,214 views
- 2:34 Richard Dawkins: One Fact to Refute Creationismby FORA.tv 1,061,072 views
- 8:00 Top 10 List Why Anti-Evolutionists are WRONGby Think about it. 116,094 views
- 9:26 The Blind Watch Maker (1/5) - Richard Dawkinsby dawkinschannel 51,452 views
- 9:58 How Evolution REALLY Works, Part Iby Think about it. 260,643 views
- 8:41 The Blind Watchmaker (Evolution) is INSANE - Indisputable PROOF! The Diagnosis is IN!by ppsimmons 8,901 views
- 7:41 On Bush, Bible, Fossils, Evolution, and Realityby yoism5 364,693 views
- 10:51 This is Why Every Scientist Accepts Evolutionby DonExodus 145,020 views
- 1:55 Richard Dawkins stumped by creationists' question (RAW FTGE)by JJjayco 2,394,386 views
- Loading more suggestions...