NASA | Fermi Detects Gamma Rays from a Solar Flare
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 12, 2012
During a powerful solar blast in March, NASA's Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope detected the highest-energy light ever associated with an eruption on the sun. The discovery heralds Fermi's new role as a solar observatory, a powerful new tool for understanding solar outbursts during the sun's maximum period of activity.
"For most of Fermi's four years in orbit, its Large Area Telescope (LAT) saw the sun as a faint, steady gamma-ray source thanks to the impacts of high-speed particles called cosmic rays," said Nicola Omodei, an astrophysicist at Stanford University in California. "Now we're beginning to see what the sun itself can do."
A solar flare is an explosive blast of light and charged particles. The powerful March 7 flare, which earned a classification of X5.4 based on the peak intensity of its X-rays, is the strongest eruption so far observed by Fermi's LAT. The flare produced such an outpouring of gamma rays -- a form of light with even greater energy than X-rays -- that the sun briefly became the brightest object in the gamma-ray sky.
At the flare's peak, the LAT detected gamma rays with two billion times the energy of visible light, or about 4 billion electron volts (GeV), easily setting a record for the highest-energy light ever detected during or just after a solar flare. The flux of high-energy gamma rays, defined as those with energies beyond 100 million electron volts (MeV), was 1,000 times greater than the sun's steady output.
The March 7 flare also is notable for the persistence of its gamma-ray emission. Fermi's LAT detected high-energy gamma rays for about 20 hours, two and a half times longer than any event on record.
Additionally, the event marks the first time a greater-than-100-MeV gamma-ray source has been localized to the sun's disk, thanks to the LAT's keen angular resolution.
Flares and other eruptive solar events produce gamma rays by accelerating charged particles, which then collide with matter in the sun's atmosphere and visible surface. For instance, interactions among protons result in short-lived subatomic particles called pions, which produce high-energy gamma rays when they decay. Nuclei excited by collisions with lower-energy ions give off characteristic gamma rays as they settle down. Accelerated electrons emit gamma rays as they collide with protons and atomic nuclei.
Solar eruptions are now on the rise as the sun progresses toward the peak of its roughly 11-year-long activity cycle, now expected in mid-2013.
This video is public domain and can be downloaded at: http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/goto?11000
Like our videos? Subscribe to NASA's Goddard Shorts HD podcast:
Or find NASA Goddard Space Flight Center on facebook:
Or find us on Twitter:
Standard YouTube License
- 10:07 How High Can We Build?by Vsauce Featured 6,976,222
- 3:28 NASA | Colliding Neutron Stars Create Black Hole and Gamma-ray Burstby NASA Goddard150,583 views
- 4:27 NASA | Dynamic Earthby NASA Goddard178,025 views
- 4:40 NASA | Tour of the Moonby NASA Goddard1,002,159 views
- 3:07 NASA | Take a "Swift" Tour of the Andromeda Galaxyby NASA Goddard353,048 views
- 16:58 NASA WTF Did You Do To Piss Off E.T - STS107 I Want ANSWERS On This One 11-21-2013by DarkSkyWatcher74381,929 views
- 1:42:28 Theodicy, God and Suffering - A debate between Dinesh D'Souza and Bart Ehrmanby GordonCollege93,499 views
- 52:44 Secrets of the Sun / Nova HD 1080pby mavireck121,507 views
- 40:49 The True History and Purpose of NASAby gmoore491,192,814 views
- 1:41 Comet Ison survives SUN - Now heading for EARTHby David Vose43,807 views
- 3:53 Milky Way Versus Andromeda As Seen from Earthby SpaceRip250,193 views
- 35:57 NASA: The End Of Mankind "Leaked Document" 2013by ADGUKNEWS1,094,595 views
- 21:08 Voyage to Pandora: First Interstellar Space Flightby SpaceRip1,311,973 views
- 2:47 NASA | Terrestrial Gamma-ray Flashes Create Antimatterby NASA Goddard143,511 views
- 2:42 NASA | Evolution of the Moonby NASA Goddard3,298,306 views
- 7:45 NASA | Beyond Einstein: Part Iby NASA Goddard302,295 views
- 0:24 NASA | It's Coming...by NASA Goddard83,697 views
- 6:52 TRUTH! The Earth does not revolve around the Sun - The exposure of hiding - in April 2012.by myunhauzen742,259,305 views
- 2:08 Unexplained Gamma-Ray Pulsarby SpaceRip66,025 views
- 10:01 NASA's Alien Anomalies caught on film - A compilation of stunning UFO footage from NASA's archivesby LunaCognita13,865,706 views
- Loading more suggestions...