The FAQ Video! - Read the description for ADDITIONAL answers!
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 9, 2009
24 MORE Questions & Answers not discussed here: http://bit.ly/WATJ012
Detailed Fan-created Wikia on the show: http://bit.ly/TMSWiki
Jonathan Paula takes you behind the scenes of "Is It A Good Idea To Microwave This?" to answer some of your most FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS! (Current As of March 2013)
Q: What happened to new episodes?
A: For reasons explained in detail here, http://bit.ly/WATJ117 -- the show's bi-weekly format was retired in favor of unscheduled bonus episodes, uploaded a few times a year.
Q: What have you already microwaved?
Q: Who are you guys?
A: I am Jonathan Paula - I produce, edit, direct, co-host, film, and control this YouTube account; Jory Caron is the host & writer, Riley McIlwain is the sidekick.
Q: Age, location, education?
A: I'm 27, I live in Rockingham, NH, having graduated from Emerson College in 2008 with a degree in Television Production & Radio Broadcasting. Jory is 25, he lives in Portsmouth, NH, he dropped out of Emerson in 2008. Riley is 21 and lives in Lynn, MA - and is attending Salem State College.
Q: How do you know each other?
A: Jory and I met at Emerson College in 2006. Riley and I are childhood friends, dating back to his birth.
Q: What's the history behind the show?
A: Jory found a bunch of microwaves... and wanted to "test" one of them. I decided to film the results.
Q: Where do you get the microwaves, how do you afford them?
A: I buy them used on Craigslist.com for around $30 each - the show's budget pays for them.
Q: Where, and when do you film?
A: In a specially made tent-area in my parent's backyard in Nahant, MA. For seasons nine and ten, we moved the JCML to the back deck of my new house, in Rockingham, NH. Production for a 30-40 episode season typically takes about 12 hours a day, recorded all at once, over a three day weekend.
Q: Is the show scripted or improvised?
A: The introduction skits are pre-rehearsed, but most of the show is improvised on the spot.
Q: What software do you edit your videos on?
A: Programs from Adobe Production Premium: Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Photoshop. I started on version 2.0, and currently work on CS5.
Q: What equipment/cameras do you use?
A: The show is shot using 3 cameras: My DVX-100b for the main angle with a Sennheiner ME66 shotgun-mic for the main audio; a Canon Elura-100 for the microwave-cam attached; and a Canon S3-IS for Riley's Sidekick cam in s5 & s6. For Season 8, a full-upgrade to HD was finally made, our new equipment is: A Panasonic HMC-150 for the primary angle, a Panasonic Lumix-GH1 for the microwave angle, and a Canon SX20 for the new Reverse-POV angle. The same microphones are used. In s9 we added a Canon SX210 for a fourth angle.
Q: Do you get paid to make this show?
A: No, not exactly... but we do earn revenue through YouTube advertisements thanks to the Partner Program. The money varies from month-to-month, depending on views and clicks, but it is enough for me to live quite comfortably, without worry. Both Jory and I do this for our full-time jobs.
Q: How do you get those banner graphics, and custom video thumbnails?
A: I am a YouTube Partner - besides getting paid, we get special perks: See www.YouTube.com/partners for more info.
Q: Who are your sidekicks?
A: We've had many over the years: Zach Schiffman in Season 1; Ezra Horne in Season 2; Ryan Lewis for the first half of Season 3, and Riley McIlwain has been our sidekick since Season 5. It was just Jory and I for Season 4.
Q: How many microwaves have you used?
A: 35 (so far): Unnamed, Diane, Sandra, Helga, Lacey, Vanessa, Tracy, Whoopi, Jasmine, Susan, Beatrice, Jackie, Samantha, Summer, Penny, Cinnamon, Candy, Zelda, Melissa, Gladys, Erin, Sarah, Justine, Margaret, Margaret II, Marissa, Cindy, Esmeralda, Penelope, Rapunzel, Gabrielle, Gina, Shelley, Emily, Heather, Rhianna, Phyllis, and Ivanka. Unnamed, Diane, Lacey, Samantha, Penny, Melissa, Margaret II, and Penelope retired early - and were still functioning when we stopped using them.
Q: How do I donate an item to the show?
A: With the show now retired, we are no longer accepting any future donations. But thanks to all who sent in items over the years!
Q: What kind of computer do you have?
A: My self-built PC's specs here: http://bit.ly/JonPCv4
Q: What happened to "ideoProductions"?
A: I re-branded my company to "Jogwheel" in August, 2011 for reasons explained in this video: http://bit.ly/JPO33
~~ Links ~~
Facebook ----------- http://bit.ly/JogFB
Twitter ---------------- http://bit.ly/JogTW
Merchandise ------- http://bit.ly/JogStore
Flagged Videos --- http://bit.ly/JogFlag
Filmed & Edited By: Jonathan Paula
• Jogwheel Productions © 2008 / 2012 •
Next in Microwave This?: Season 5 Episodes
- 6:20 Is It A Good Idea To Microwave A CO2 Canister?by Jogwheel Productions 1,182,211 views
- 11:30 Is It A Good Idea To Microwave Spray Paint?by Jogwheel Productions 2,125,249 views
- 4:48 Lava Lamp EXPLODES In Microwave!by Jogwheel Productions 1,645,290 views
- 7:07 Is It A Good Idea To Microwave An XBOX 360?by JPizzle1122 1,323,397 views
- 5:21 Is It A Good Idea To Microwave A Plasma Ball?by Jogwheel Productions 1,552,480 views
- 196 videos Play all microwave this?by henryyau188
- 0:32 Gummi Bear Dropped Into Potassium Chlorateby mydogisaperson 2,369,433 views
- 5:31 Is It A Good Idea To Microwave A Caterpillar?by JPizzle1122 656,142 views
- 5:30 FURBY GETS MICROWAVED!by JPizzle1122 816,895 views
- 5:40 Is It A Good Idea To Microwave A Glitter Ball?by Jogwheel Productions 731,116 views
- 6:22 Is It A Good Idea To Microwave A Bottle Of Gin?by JPizzle1122 933,745 views
- 0:45 Microwave This - Season Six Teaser Trailer!by JPizzle1122 144,244 views
- 6:01 Is It A Good Idea To Microwave Rubber Ducks?by Jogwheel Productions 278,789 views
- 5:56 Is It A Good Idea To Microwave A Polaroid Camera?by JPizzle1122 271,780 views
- 5:14 Is It A Good Idea To Microwave A Plastic Hair Ball?by JPizzle1122 269,915 views
- 5:31 Is It A Good Idea To Microwave Inspector Gadget?by JPizzle1122 253,420 views
- 5:33 Is It A Good Idea To Microwave An iPhone!?by Jogwheel Productions 988,478 views
- 4:19 Is It A Good Idea To Microwave Silly String?by Jogwheel Productions 358,334 views
- 5:38 Is It A Good Idea To Microwave Shaving Cream?by JPizzle1122 319,836 views
- 5:18 Is It A Good Idea To Microwave A Giant Mercury Light Bulb?by JPizzle1122 579,385 views