Interview with Julie Borowski: Profiles in Digital Activism (Part I) - 9/24/13
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Streamed live on Sep 24, 2013
As a movement, libertarians or libertarian-leaning conservatives are in the midst of an ideological revival organized largely online. Blessed by the ability to connect with fellow thinkers and activists, leaders, writers, policy-analysts use popular platforms to evangelize the principles of individual and economic liberty.
Several advocates are succeeding in translating their social media activism into political success. One such mover-and-shaker is Julie Borowski, also known to Youtube audiences as Token Libertarian Girl.
The 24-year old energetic humorist burst onto the social media scene during the 2012 election campaign, creating videos in her bedroom to challenge media narratives and misconceptions about policy and candidate Ron Paul. Her channel reaches millions and has grown to 38,000 subscribers.
Borowski is a policy analyst for FreedomWorks and the Center for Competitive Politics and sits on the advisory board for the Coalition to Reduce Spending. Her writing is featured on several venues, including Reason, The Blaze and Town Hall.
I sat down with Julie as the first interview in a series of 12 to document profiles in 21st century digital activism.
1:35 As a movement we're blessed to connect with others globally via social media. These are effective methods of communication and inspiring action. The purpose is to advance liberty, but hope that energy translates to actionable success. Can you share a moment when you realized your effortss were making a difference?
2:17 Julie responds.
3:43 20 or 30 years ago, idea exchange and social change were all caged by limited technology. Social media has forever altered human communication. Activists that are serious about sparking change have amazing possibilities at their fingertips, but the public glare can be overwhelming. Prior to taking that step, did you have reservations or fears? How did you overcome them?
4:14 Julie responds.
4:57 Have you mentored others? You've conquered the Youtube venue and built a personal brand, have any others reached out to you for moral support?
5:23 Julie responds.
5:31 What is the number one obstacle or fear others may have?
5:41 Julie responds.
6:14 From a woman's perspective, have you had any issues with safety and security as an online social media activist in the public venue?
6:30 Julie responds.
6:50 It's astounding how opportunities and connections that we never imagine would appear become possible when you pursue your passions. What doors has your online activism opened for you? Any that might not have been possible without your step into public?
7:13 Julie responds.
7:39 Do you feel like people are becoming more receptive to libertarians because of social media activism? Or other reasons?
8:17 Julie responds.
8:40 In terms of outreach, every movement that seeks to advance must build coalitions. What do you think is the biggest challenge for libertarians seeking to use social media to share libertarian ideas?
9:18 Julie responds.
10:32 Do you personally have a methodology to engage with others politely when tensions get high during debates or idea exchanges?
11:11 Julie responds.
11:49 Internet debates can become long-winded. You translate complicated ideas into digestible information. What issues should we be discussing as the focus, ideas that are easy for others to understand.
12:43 Julie responds.
13:43 If you were to give advice to someone that is considering taking the next step in social media. Do you have any advice based on your personal mission for liberty or convictions that you want to share to motivate others?
17:16 Julie responds.
14:44 Sign off.
- 24:09 CrossTalk: McDonaldizationby RT Featured 11,956
- 42:49 Tina Turner on Oprah's Next Chapterby Tina Fan22,209 views
- 6:31 Pelosi taken apart by David Gregory on false Obamacare promisesby Washington Free Beacon356,146 views
- 28:01  Jim Rickards on the Recession of 2014 and Greek Islands for Saleby Boom Bust17,800 views
- 1:00:12 George Will's Libertarian Evolution: Q&A on Obama, Syria, & the Power of Choiceby ReasonTV38,181 views
- 46:51 Steven Gerrard - A Year In My Life (2006)by Shack anory186,239 views
- 20:53 MICHELE BACHMANN vs CHARLIE RANGEL "Watch The Phoenix Rise From The Ashes Charlie!"by MOXNEWSd0tC0M3,567 views
- 8:15 Pags Caller Rick Who Seems Confused About Obamacare and Cruzby Joe Pags1,119 views
- 3:34 The Day Magic Johnson Found Out He Was HIV-Positive - Oprah's Next Chapter - OWNby OWN TV9,799 views
- 12:46 LARRY PRATT SCHOOLS GUN CONTROL ADVOCATES! AGAIN! pt.1by MOXNEWSd0tC0M17,504 views
- 9:59 LARRY PRATT SCHOOLS GUN CONTROL ADVOCATES! AGAIN! pt.2by MOXNEWSd0tC0M10,178 views
- 24:56 BBC HARDtalk - Gloria Steinem - Author and feminist activist (26/2/13)by BBC HardTALK7,136 views
- 3:33 Why Babyface Says Toni Braxton Almost Left Music - Oprah's Next Chapter - Oprah Winfrey Networkby OWN TV10,794 views
- 1:55:01 George H. Smith Debates David D. Friedman: Ethics vs. Economics (1981)by Libertarianism.org5,761 views
- 10:09 White Castle Slider Recipe!by Ballistic BBQ7,923 views
- 40:30 1992 Camille Paglia trashes Gloria Steinem wing of feminismby AstroKid Nj632 views
- 15:03 Ron Paul (LIKE A BOSS): ELIZABETH WARREN IS A SOCIALIST!!!by KonaSilat17,729 views
- 22:59 Gloria Steinem interviews Barbra Streisand - September 15-17, 1986by TheThirdAlbum10,689 views
- 4:31 Glenn Beck Program 2013-09-11 - The Libertarian Revolutionby vanguardknight1,289 views
- 9:57 Lady Gaga Interview The Legend & Activist - Part 1by EntHDTV3,902 views
- Loading more suggestions...