This video is unavailable.
Authentic Tsumami Kanzashi work by Atelier Kanawa Part.1
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 25, 2007
Enjoy watching a little about how authentic Tsumami Kanzashi is made.
You can purchase Atelier Kanawa's Tsumami Kanzashi at:
[ATELIER KANAWA'S TSUMAMI KANZASHI CAREER]
Atelier Kanawa has been making both traditional & modern Tsumami Kanzashi since 2004. She was accepted as a private pupil in the summer 2007 and was professionally trained by one of the ONLY 5 acknowledged Tsumami Kanzashi artisans in Japan.
Tsumami Kanzashi is the historical Japanese handcraft carried by refined skillful artisans. Therefore it absolutely cannot be acquired in short period of time, especially without proper training. While you may see many imitation Tsumami Kanzashi made by non classically trained hobby crafter online, you can surely find the truly authentic Tsumami Kanzashi with traditional expertise at Atelier Kanawa.
[ABOUT EDO TSUMAMI KANZASHI]
The history of Kanzashi (ornamental hairpin) goes back as far as the history of Japan 3000 years ago. In the prehistorical Joumon era (approximately. 1000 B.C. to 300 A.D.), it was believed that a supernatural power inhabited this thin stick. People wore it as a charm against evil and this became the beginning of Kanzashi.
The derivation of Kanzashi is "Kami-zashi" meaning "hair stick". There is another theory that Kanzashi derived from "Ka-zashi" meaning "flower stick".
It was during the Edo period (1603-1867) that current styles of Kanzashi had been formed. Among varieties of Kanzashi in this period, Edo Tsumami Kanzashi was made for mainly maidens to wear for occasional celebrations of the beauty of the seasons. Girls wore Ume(plum) blossom for New Year, Sakura (cherry) blossom for spring, and Kiku (chrysanthemum) for autumn.
Tsumami (pinching) is the technique to pinch/pick up a two dimensional piece of silk fabric to construct a three dimensional object. This technique was traditionally utilized by maidservants in the imperial court since the middle of the Edo period. Eventually, the style spread all over Japan. Tsumami Kanzashi was often depicted in Ukiyoe pictures.
Traditionally, Japanese use Habutae silk to make Tsumami Kanzashi but there is an artisan who uses Chirimen silk instead. Atelier Kanawa uses both, other vintage silk Kimono fabrics, and rayon Chirimen silk and so on.
In the Edo era, there are five major styles of Kanzashi: Hana-Kanzashi, Mimikaki-Kanzashi, Matsuba-Kanzashi, Tama-Kanzashi, and Hirauchi-Kanzashi. Edo-Tsumami Kanzashi belongs to the Hana-Kanzashi category. Hana-Kanzashi was derived from a centuries old "Ka (flower) - zashi" flower stick, and is the most gorgeous style.
Today, there are only 5 acknowledged Tsumami Kanzashi artisans in Japan. Most of them do not have successors to carry out this beautiful traditional art, therefore the traditional skills are rapidly and certainly dying out. I am strongly eager to preserve and pass this art on to the future generation. IT MEANS A LOT TO ME TO HAVE YOUR PURCHASE because YOU ARE SUPPORTING JAPANESE CULTURE and YOUR PURCHASE COULD BE A VERY PRECIOUS CULTURAL HERITAGE.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:10 How to make Kanzashi flower hair pinby ThriftycraftsFeatured 85,848
- 8:14 como coser flor kanzashi. How to sew kanzashi flowerby sandysworkingmind 190,284 views
- 5:28 下町に息づく伝統の技 江戸つまみ簪2/3by Kotaro Tanaka 127,421 views
- 14:06 More Kanzashi Folding Techniques!by jogglesllc 12,008 views
- 8:07 Лепесток канзаши с завитком.by Oksana Poluyn 501,775 views
- 10:47 Мастер-класс ЗАКОЛКА для девочки .wmvby Этель Капризная 69,662 views
- 64 videos Play all DIYby SpaceSamuraiKelsey
- 6:29 Tsumami Kanzashi Documentary 3/5by LeefDamariel 170,937 views
- 5:54 Thriftycrafts: How to make Kanzashi Japanese flowerby Thriftycrafts 100,312 views
- 5:36 petalos altos flores kanzashi. Kanzashi flower petalsby sandysworkingmind 149,553 views
- 10:07 Using Clover Kanzashi Flower Templatesby jogglesllc 21,292 views
- 3:49 Kanzashi by Nevolshebnicaby Nevolshebnica 783,812 views
- 3:36 Tsumami Kanzashi Documentary 4/5by LeefDamariel 57,167 views
- 4:49 Канзаши от elenko часть 3.by MsDimako 112,365 views
- 3:02 MyCraftLoft Kanzashi Fabric Flowersby Kaley Cutesy 237,803 views
- 6:31 Tsumami Kanzashi Documentary 5/5by LeefDamariel 33,202 views
- 7:49 下町に息づく伝統の技 江戸つまみ簪3/3by Kotaro Tanaka 33,586 views
- 3:12 My Handmade Kanzashi Inspired Fabric Headbandsby Kaley Cutesy 49,024 views
- 1:51 How to fold round tip Kanzashi petalby craftpassion 108,657 views
- 6:36 ZaДело! на TVJAM. Мастер-класс: канзашиby TVJAMru 537,140 views
- 9:40 Kanzashi Flower- Part 2- The Bodyby aNgeliicHheart 59,671 views
- Loading more suggestions...