Authentic Tsumami Kanzashi work by Atelier Kanawa Part.1
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 25, 2007
Enjoy watching a little about how authentic Tsumami Kanzashi is made.
You can purchase Atelier Kanawa's Tsumami Kanzashi at:
[ATELIER KANAWA'S TSUMAMI KANZASHI CAREER]
Atelier Kanawa has been making both traditional & modern Tsumami Kanzashi since 2004. She was accepted as a private pupil in the summer 2007 and was professionally trained by one of the ONLY 5 acknowledged Tsumami Kanzashi artisans in Japan.
Tsumami Kanzashi is the historical Japanese handcraft carried by refined skillful artisans. Therefore it absolutely cannot be acquired in short period of time, especially without proper training. While you may see many imitation Tsumami Kanzashi made by non classically trained hobby crafter online, you can surely find the truly authentic Tsumami Kanzashi with traditional expertise at Atelier Kanawa.
[ABOUT EDO TSUMAMI KANZASHI]
The history of Kanzashi (ornamental hairpin) goes back as far as the history of Japan 3000 years ago. In the prehistorical Joumon era (approximately. 1000 B.C. to 300 A.D.), it was believed that a supernatural power inhabited this thin stick. People wore it as a charm against evil and this became the beginning of Kanzashi.
The derivation of Kanzashi is "Kami-zashi" meaning "hair stick". There is another theory that Kanzashi derived from "Ka-zashi" meaning "flower stick".
It was during the Edo period (1603-1867) that current styles of Kanzashi had been formed. Among varieties of Kanzashi in this period, Edo Tsumami Kanzashi was made for mainly maidens to wear for occasional celebrations of the beauty of the seasons. Girls wore Ume(plum) blossom for New Year, Sakura (cherry) blossom for spring, and Kiku (chrysanthemum) for autumn.
Tsumami (pinching) is the technique to pinch/pick up a two dimensional piece of silk fabric to construct a three dimensional object. This technique was traditionally utilized by maidservants in the imperial court since the middle of the Edo period. Eventually, the style spread all over Japan. Tsumami Kanzashi was often depicted in Ukiyoe pictures.
Traditionally, Japanese use Habutae silk to make Tsumami Kanzashi but there is an artisan who uses Chirimen silk instead. Atelier Kanawa uses both, other vintage silk Kimono fabrics, and rayon Chirimen silk and so on.
In the Edo era, there are five major styles of Kanzashi: Hana-Kanzashi, Mimikaki-Kanzashi, Matsuba-Kanzashi, Tama-Kanzashi, and Hirauchi-Kanzashi. Edo-Tsumami Kanzashi belongs to the Hana-Kanzashi category. Hana-Kanzashi was derived from a centuries old "Ka (flower) - zashi" flower stick, and is the most gorgeous style.
Today, there are only 5 acknowledged Tsumami Kanzashi artisans in Japan. Most of them do not have successors to carry out this beautiful traditional art, therefore the traditional skills are rapidly and certainly dying out. I am strongly eager to preserve and pass this art on to the future generation. IT MEANS A LOT TO ME TO HAVE YOUR PURCHASE because YOU ARE SUPPORTING JAPANESE CULTURE and YOUR PURCHASE COULD BE A VERY PRECIOUS CULTURAL HERITAGE.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:29 Мастер класс Канзаши : Новый лепесток с легким завитком / kanzashi flowers tutorialby AlinaBoloban Featured 32,547
- 14:06 More Kanzashi Folding Techniques!by jogglesllc15,221 views
- 15:08 Kanzashi: Working Small, With Silk, Overpainting & Moreby jogglesllc12,048 views
- 10:47 Мастер-класс ЗАКОЛКА для девочки .wmvby Этель Капризная94,117 views
- 16:06 Kanzashi Flower, Ribbon Rose,Tutorial, DIYby daisyclub23690,081 views
- 6:31 Tsumami Kanzashi Documentary 5/5by LeefDamariel36,088 views
- 67 videos Play all DIYby SpaceSamuraiKelsey
- Kanzashi 915 videos539
- 5:46 Tsumami Kanzashi Documentary 2/5by LeefDamariel39,468 views
- 3:11 Authentic Tsumami Kanzashi work by Atelier Kanawa Part.2by AtelierKanawa60,410 views
- 7:50 How to Make a Kanzashi Flower - Tutorialby FlowerCraftAcademy86,151 views
- 7:44 Kanzashi Flower Templateby When Creativity Knocks118,127 views
- 4:31 Tutorial Hacer una flor kanzashi de muchos pétalos, paso a paso !!by Dayan Pérez185,178 views
- 10:07 Using Clover Kanzashi Flower Templatesby jogglesllc22,819 views
- 25:04 Новогодняя Снежинка . Ободок для волос Канзаши / Christmas Snowflake . Headband Hair Kanzashiby AlinaBoloban18,508 views
- 4:40 My colorful world... (часть-4)by Елена Н116,516 views
- 5:54 Thriftycrafts: How to make Kanzashi Japanese flowerby Thriftycrafts116,098 views
- 4:10 How to make Kanzashi flower hair pinby Thriftycrafts115,481 views
- 9:40 Kanzashi Flower- Part 2- The Bodyby aNgeliicHheart60,709 views
- 3:12 My Handmade Kanzashi Inspired Fabric Headbandsby Kaley Cutesy53,709 views