Sen. Durbin Picks Fight With Fox And Bret Baier For 'Harping On' Removal Of 'God' From DNC Platform
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 5, 2012
During Tuesday's edition of Special Report, Fox News host Bret Baier asked Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin about the news that the Democratic Party removed all mention of the word "God" from their party platform, and have removed mention of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. Durbin did not take kindly to the questioning, and unfairly accused Baier and the network of "harping on" a narrative that doesn't focus on the "real issues" facing Americans.
"If the narrative that is being presented on your station and through your channel and your network is that the Democrats are godless people, they ought to know better," Durbin said sharply to Baier after being asked why the word was removed from the platform. "God is not a franchise of the Republican Party. Those of us who believe in God and those of us who dedicated our lives to helping others in the name of God don't want a second seat to anyone suggesting that one word out of the platform means that the Democrats across America are godless," he continued.
"No, no, no," Baier shot back, "I don't think that is what is being said. We're reporting what is in the platform." He continued to explain that in 2008, "God" was mentioned once and in 2004, it was mentioned seven times. "Why take it out in this time?" he asked.
"If you're trying to draw some conclusion that the Democrats are godless, present your evidence," Durbin snapped.
"I'm not drawing a conclusion," Baier defended. "I'm just asking the question why was the word taken out."
Insistent, Durbin fired back: "I'm just telling you that you are harping on a trifle. We know both parties are devoted to this country, both parties are God-fearing parties. Let's get on with the agenda about creating jobs in America."
Baier then asked Durbin about why the DNC removed mention of Jerusalem as the capital city of Israel. "Why the changes were made?" he asked again.
"To suggest that this document and the the insertion of two words here and one word there now defines politics in America suggests to me you are not focusing on the real issues that Americans care about," Durbin responded.
In response, Baier pointed out that "Democrats in Tampa talked about the Republican platform and what was and what was not in there. I am asking about the changes and words, I'm asking why. I'm not drawing conclusions."
It is completely fair for Baier to ask about a senior Democratic Senator about his party's platform, especially given how the Democrats (at times rightfully) obsessed over the Republican Party's platform just a week ago. Durbin's annoyance at the mere question reveals a bit of a double-standard on his part.
Watch below, via Fox News:
Standard YouTube License
- 0:28 Barack and Michelle Joking Aroundby TheDailyConversationFeatured 221,046
- 4:44 DNC Adds 'God' & 'Jerusalem' Back to Party Platform Amid Boos from Atheists & Islamistsby YouCruising1 10,065 views
- 4:24 Brett Baier corners Debbie Wasserman Schultzby DailyWorldwideNews 31,876 views
- 2:53 Tea Party Leader Destroyedby TheDailyConversation 11,096 views
- 4:41 Stephanie Cutter Grilled by Baier Claiming Romney Politicized Libyaby WeAreTheSavageNation 1,793 views
- 2:03 Obama : The Words God and Jerusalem don't just walk off a page from the DNC Platform (Sept 05, 2012)by SignsofThyComing 4,885 views
- 13:01 Fox News Pundits Criticize Michelle Obama's Convention Speechby cheldemedo 3,085 views
- 3:21 DNC railroads its own delegates in the name of God & Jerusalemby pmcnamara 72,100 views
- 4:41 DNC Cluelessness Continues - Debbie Wasserman Schultz - Fox & Friends - 12-12-11by RightSightings 28,629 views
- 6:48 Martha MaCallum OWNS Debbie Wasserman Schultzby Florida Cracka 101,251 views
- 1:05 THREE TIMES THEY SAID NO TO GOD! [New GOP Ad by Congressman Allen West]by martysoffice 13,851 views
- 41:02 Know The TRUTH ~ Step By Step ~ Bret Baier's ~ 'Death and Deceit in Benghazi'by MamaBarracuda 65,241 views
- 8:06 Beck w/ Couric - Won't Answer "White Culture" Questionby TheYoungTurks 118,157 views
- 3:46 DNC chair agrees to re-insert Jerusalem as Israel's capitalby CNN 3,226 views
- 10:50 Bill Clinton on Obama » A Few Years Ago « This Guy Would've Been Carrying Our Bags pt1by yazakchattiest 1,012 views
- 2:46 DNC 2012: DNC Platform Changes on God, Jerusalem Spur Contentious Floor Voteby ABCNews 81,393 views
- 11:35 Mitt Romney discusses the DNC with Carl Cameron - Fox News 09/05/2012by Eduardo89rp 931 views
- 1:36 Democrats BOO GOD At Conventionby joe jetson 41,656 views
- 0:45 CNN Panel Mocks DNC Chairwoman on Platform Language Switch 09-05-12by PenguinProseMedia 703 views
- 5:33 Debbie Wasserman Schultz Says 'There Was No Fight at All' Over Platform Change on God, Israelby ABCNews 2,780 views
- Loading more suggestions...