Sen. Durbin Picks Fight With Fox And Bret Baier For 'Harping On' Removal Of 'God' From DNC Platform
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 5, 2012
During Tuesday's edition of Special Report, Fox News host Bret Baier asked Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin about the news that the Democratic Party removed all mention of the word "God" from their party platform, and have removed mention of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. Durbin did not take kindly to the questioning, and unfairly accused Baier and the network of "harping on" a narrative that doesn't focus on the "real issues" facing Americans.
"If the narrative that is being presented on your station and through your channel and your network is that the Democrats are godless people, they ought to know better," Durbin said sharply to Baier after being asked why the word was removed from the platform. "God is not a franchise of the Republican Party. Those of us who believe in God and those of us who dedicated our lives to helping others in the name of God don't want a second seat to anyone suggesting that one word out of the platform means that the Democrats across America are godless," he continued.
"No, no, no," Baier shot back, "I don't think that is what is being said. We're reporting what is in the platform." He continued to explain that in 2008, "God" was mentioned once and in 2004, it was mentioned seven times. "Why take it out in this time?" he asked.
"If you're trying to draw some conclusion that the Democrats are godless, present your evidence," Durbin snapped.
"I'm not drawing a conclusion," Baier defended. "I'm just asking the question why was the word taken out."
Insistent, Durbin fired back: "I'm just telling you that you are harping on a trifle. We know both parties are devoted to this country, both parties are God-fearing parties. Let's get on with the agenda about creating jobs in America."
Baier then asked Durbin about why the DNC removed mention of Jerusalem as the capital city of Israel. "Why the changes were made?" he asked again.
"To suggest that this document and the the insertion of two words here and one word there now defines politics in America suggests to me you are not focusing on the real issues that Americans care about," Durbin responded.
In response, Baier pointed out that "Democrats in Tampa talked about the Republican platform and what was and what was not in there. I am asking about the changes and words, I'm asking why. I'm not drawing conclusions."
It is completely fair for Baier to ask about a senior Democratic Senator about his party's platform, especially given how the Democrats (at times rightfully) obsessed over the Republican Party's platform just a week ago. Durbin's annoyance at the mere question reveals a bit of a double-standard on his part.
Watch below, via Fox News:
Standard YouTube License
- 40:10 Benghazi - The Truth Behind The Smokescreen - Bret Baier Reportingby NFriction437 views
- 13:01 Fox News Pundits Criticize Michelle Obama's Convention Speechby Ellen Brodsky3,683 views
- 10:53 Bill O'Reilly: No God or Jerusalem at the DNC Convention?by iwanttomarrycarrie4,306 views
- 4:41 Stephanie Cutter Grilled by Baier Claiming Romney Politicized Libyaby WeAreTheSavageNation2,420 views
- 1:58 Dick Durbin Flips Out When Asked Why ''God'' Taken Out of DNC Platform 09-04-12by PenguinProseMedia6,569 views
- 11:08 Deval Patrick DNC Full Speech 2012, 'I Won't Let Obama Be "Bullied" Out Of Office'by martysoffice6,387 views
- 4:44 DNC Adds 'God' & 'Jerusalem' Back to Party Platform Amid Boos from Atheists & Islamistsby YouCruising110,365 views
- 4:40 Former Governor Jesse Ventura Picks Fight With Feds Over 9/11 (04.04.11)by ABC News430,066 views
- 6:48 Martha MaCallum OWNS Debbie Wasserman Schultzby Florida Cracka134,463 views
- 9:38 "You Didn't Build That!" - Taken Out of Context? - Analyzed - Special Report - Bret Baier - 7-19-12by RightSightings77,759 views
- 2:46 DNC 2012: DNC Platform Changes on God, Jerusalem Spur Contentious Floor Voteby ABC News83,853 views
- 10:04 Fox News Announces Re-Election Win of President Barack Obama - 11/06/12by inaka99431,271 views
- 7:33 Fox News Reporting The Great Food Stamp Binge With Bret Baier - Part 3 of 6by Mass Tea Party6,052 views
- 8:55 Obama : The DNC errupts in boos as God and Jerusalem are put back into the Platform (Sept 05, 2012)by SignsofThyComing42,204 views
- 3:21 DNC railroads its own delegates in the name of God & Jerusalemby pmcnamara72,540 views
- 18:14 Condoleezza Rice RNC Full Speech 2012, Brings Crowd To Its Feet With Stirring Foreign Policy Speechby martysoffice56,260 views
- 6:55 Fox News Reporting The Great Food Stamp Binge With Bret Baier Free Food Part 2 of 6by Mass Tea Party60,357 views
- 4:24 Brett Baier corners Debbie Wasserman Schultzby DailyWorldwideNews34,328 views
- 1:56 Bret Baier Takes on Howard Dean for Lying About Fox News!by johnny dollar44,050 views
- 1:05 THREE TIMES THEY SAID NO TO GOD! [New GOP Ad by Congressman Allen West]by martysoffice14,874 views
- Loading more suggestions...