How to Use Chopsticks
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 22, 2008
See what you can learn on the go with the new Howcast App for iPhone and iPad: http://bit.ly/11ZmFOu
Watch more Dining & Table Manners videos: http://www.howcast.com/guides/188-Din...
Subscribe to Howcast's YouTube Channel - http://bit.ly/uLaHRS
Like skiing and speaking a foreign language, chopstick use is a skill ideally acquired in childhood. But with a little perseverance, adults tired of feeling boorish in Asian restaurants can become adept.
Howcast uploads the highest quality how-to videos daily! Be sure to check out our playlists for guides that interest you: http://bit.ly/ytmainplaylists
Subscribe to Howcast's other YouTube Channels:
Howcast Dance & Entertainment Channel - http://bit.ly/vmB86i
Howcast Family Channel - http://bit.ly/16dz9oH
Howcast Food & Drink Channel - http://bit.ly/umBoJX
Howcast Personal Care & Style Channel - http://bit.ly/vbbNt3
Howcast Sports & Fitness Channel - http://bit.ly/vKjUjm
Howcast Tech Channel - http://bit.ly/rx9FwR
Howcast Video Games Channel - http://bit.ly/tYKKrk
Howcast empowers people with engaging, useful how-to information wherever, whenever they need to know how. Emphasizing high-quality instructional videos, Howcast brings you experts who provide accurate information in easy-to-follow tutorials on everything from makeup, hairstyling, nail art design, and soccer to parkour, skateboarding, dancing, kissing, and much, much more.
Step 1: Position chopsticks
In your right hand, traditionally used even by the left-handed, rest the thick end of one chopstick on the webbing between your thumb and forefinger so that about an inch of it sticks out beyond your hand, and rest the other end on your ring finger. Keep your fingers loosely curled.
Successful chopstick use depends on stabilizing this bottom chopstick, which doesn't move, to leave your thumb and forefinger free to maneuver the top chopstick, which does.
Step 2: Grip bottom stick w/ thumb
Grip this bottom chopstick with the bottom of your thumb so it is immobilized and sits firmly on your ring finger.
You can use the tip of your middle finger to stabilize the ring-finger end of the chopstick.
Step 3: Grip top stick w/ fingertips
If you're holding the bottom chopstick correctly, your entire index finger and the top joint of your thumb are free to move around. Grip the top chopstick between the tips of these fingers so that its tip lines up with the bottom chopstick's tip.
Step 4: Maneuver top & bottom sticks
To pick up a piece of food, maneuver the top chopstick to grasp it with the tip and brace it against the bottom one.
Etiquette requires that you use chopsticks neither to chop nor to stick. For that, use knives and forks.
Step 5: Lift food w/ chopsticks
Now, carefully lift a piece of food with your chopsticks, taking care not to let it slide out. Sweet success.
Did You Know?
Many sushi aficionados insist that sushi should be eaten with the fingers—an excellent fallback position if you have trouble mastering chopsticks.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:47 Chopsticks vs. Forksby Off the Great Wall Featured 73,951
- 4:08 How to Eat Sushi at a Restaurantby Howcast888,373 views
- 1:51 How to Fake Being Sickby Howcast1,347,716 views
- 2:25 How to Pick a Lockby Howcast11,078,333 views
- 3:06 How to Use Chopsticks | Sushi Lessonsby Howcast8,481 views
- 5:51 How to Hold Chopsticks (Happy Chinese/Lunar New Year!)by pincstuff256,308 views
- 187 videos Play all HOW TO RANDOMby carnalucious
- 5:16 The Answer Book: Guide to mastering the chopsticks within 5 minutes (How to hold chopsticks)by artstudioashenka259,427 views
- 1:13 How to Use Chopsticks Correctly - Chopsticks Tips Videoby geobeats232,086 views
- 6:09 Cooking with Cam: How To Eat Using Chopsticksby camswitzer49,351 views
- 4:20 Four Simple Chopstick Hairstylesby Evelina314,405 views
- 2:58 How To Eat Noodles With Chopsticksby Ben Bjerk59,892 views
- 10:01 How To Make Simple And Delicious Sushi(1/2)by Tom Lin324,949 views
- 1:56 How to use Chopsticksby MechanicalAnt232,851 views
- 17:59 Pioneer DDJ-S1 Complete Overviewby Andy Foster22,431 views
- 8:23 How to use chopsticks and stir fry, Martin Yan Part5by wywoo22581,270 views
- 3:51 How to eat Sushiby Chicago Tribune722,293 views
- 11:36 Forever 21 and Aerie Haul!by Arden Rose96,363 views
- 2:33 How To Use Chopsticksby 626274221,747 views
- 7:03 Things Black (NEW) Christians Do- FEAT Lexiby lexitelevision133,308 views