French lighthouses and VERY BIG waves during stormy weather (+ description)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 12, 2009
This video was taken on the 7th of december 2007 in "Raz de Sein" at the western tip of France, in Brittany, on a (very) stormy day.
Those lighthouses isolated in the open sea are/were called "Hells" because of the roughness of living conditions inside these isolated buildings, frequently harassed by the elements.
The first one seen in the video is Ar Men ("The Rock" in Breton), one of the best known lighthouses because of its isolated situation and the considerable difficulties its construction has presented (14 years were needed to build it !!), and the danger in evacuating its personnel.
Considered as one of the most challenging workplaces by the community of lighthouse keepers, it has been named "The Hell of Hells".
It has been automated in 1990.
Later we can see Tévennec, a little known lighthouse situated on the east side of the Sein Island. It had such bad luck in store for its guardians that it was suspected to be baleful, or even haunted. Indeed, during stormy weather, some keepers reported that gloomy screams could be heard. Recently a cave was found in the rock on which Tévennec was built, that may explain the weird noises heard by the keepers.
Since nobody wanted to live on this rock anymore, this lighthouse was automated way before the others, in 1910.
Nowadays, general automation makes human presence useless aboard these ocean look-out posts. In 2004, Kéréon, the Palace of the sea, the last lived-in open sea lighthouse, definitely closed its doors over its magnificent woodwork and its compass rose made in ebony and mahogany.
The previous automated lighthouses were : Armen (1990), la Jument (1991), les Pierres Noires (1992), le Four (1993), la Vieille (1995).
As nobody is here to scour, fix and maintain those lighthouses anymore, they are slowly detoriating. If nothing is done they may collapse in the coming years, like it happened to an auxiliary tower at La Vieille lighthouse during a storm on the 10th of April 2008.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Requiem Mass in D Minor, K. 626: I. Introitus: Requiem aeternam" on
Magdalena Hajossyova, Jaroslava Horska, Jozef Kundlak, Peter Mikulás, Stefan Klimo, Vladimir Ruso, Slovak Philharmonic Orchestra, Slovak Philharmonic Chorus and Zdanek Kosler
- 3:00 Warship vs Big Wavesby stalkingalizeeFeatured 492,188
- 1:38 watch the frozen lighthouse freezeby Jt Kalnay 54,420 views
- 5:17 TEAHUPOO Mega Swell Unbelievably Massive Wavesby Naj0rt 8,108,993 views
- 10:58 Tsunami - Caught On Camera - P1by noeuro 42,768,971 views
- 1:20 Angry sea - The Perfect storm in realityby Darko Hlusicka 2,614,589 views
- 3:48 Nightmare in broad Daylight!!! (Caught in a cyclone!)by the4thlord 6,627,492 views
- 1:18 Crazy Waterby Luvmaverick 785,068 views
- 4:09 Tsunami wave striking Kihei Maui.m4vby Thor Radford 49,106 views
- 2:01 10 Abandoned Places Explainedby alltime10s 4,514,812 views
- 1:34 SHIPS IN STORM - INCREDIBLE VIDEOby SEAMANpl 7,213,565 views
- 1:24 Ship in big waves at seaby Marcelo Fernandes 801,793 views
- 58 videos Play all Big Water and Tsunamiby Retundant
- 0:15 Plane sinks in the wave!! Must watch!!by sainik 623,738 views
- 0:58 Explosion en el mar 1958by Jose Ramon Loreto 4,075,889 views
- 0:09 Shanshore Lighthouse & wave! Finalby Shanmuga Raja 56,287 views
- 2:58 Tragic accidentby Javier Rullan Ruano 1,479,719 views
- 1:42 Megayacht "A" (SIGMA SF99) of Andrei Igorewitsch Melnitschenko in Mallorca (2008)by Danyel André 649,340 views
- okanokumo 182 videos30K
- 0:50 Huge waves Biarritzby echtnikskan 580,768 views
- 0:28 Massive tsunami wave hits Hawaiian coastby Henk Kneh 487,064 views
- 1:15 massive waves pummel touristsby Ch1nchi11a 832,235 views
- 0:35 USS Kitty Hawk & the big waveby kb1gni 1,623,974 views
- Loading more suggestions...