AEA Fix It In The Mic Nashville - Ben's Studio
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 28, 2013
AEA Fix It In The Mic - Ben's Studio
The Stories, The Secrets, The Sound
This episode of Fix It In The Mic -- Nashville features a visit to Ben's Studio, the former RCA Studio A in Nashville, now owned by singer-songwriter and producer Ben Folds. Leslie Richter and Joe Costa, two seasoned freelance engineers who regularly work out of Ben's Studio, talk to us about their creative work in this legendary studio and share their thoughts on microphone techniques, studio gear, and the special qualities of ribbon mics. Join us for this rare glimpse at one of Nashville's largest and most historic recording studios.
Original built in 1964, Ben's Studio was built by Chet Atkins and was known as historic RCA Victor Nashville Sound Studios. The studios client list, past and present reads as a whos who of music history. Some of the studio's clients are The Monkees, Joe Cocker, Leon Russell, Waylon, Dolly Parton, Tony Bennett, George Strait, The Beach Boys, Amanda Palmer, William Shatner and includes the studio's owner Ben Folds. After almost a decade of dedicated private use, Ben's Studio recently re-opened to the recording community for commercial sessions. With a plethora of exquisite recording equipment and instruments in an incredible space, it's hard to not become enthusiastic when entering this studio.
AEA R84, R92, and R88 ribbon microphones as well as the TRP preamp find regularly use on sessions by Ben Folds or other artists at Ben's Studio. Common applications are drum overheads, strings, drum room, horns, percussion. A particular strength of the AEA preamp is their clean, low-noise performance, which prevents the build-up of noise when stacking string tracks for example.
AEA's Fix it in the Mic video series is aimed at sharing the microphone secrets and tricks of industry professionals in a time when mentoring and real knowledge is hard to come by. AEA's mission is to help engineers get the sound they envision right from the start instead of "fixing it in the mix"- a craft and art that often gets lost in the midst of the hype about the latest new toy. Thus, the name Fix It In The Mic was born. AEA encourages viewers to comment, ask questions, or send suggestions for future episodes.
We encourage you to comment, ask questions, and to send us suggestions for future episodes of "Fix It In The Mic" to firstname.lastname@example.org!
For more information visit:
Follow AEA on Facebook and gain access to exclusive bonus footage: http://www.facebook.com/ribbonmics
Featuring music from the song "Unbelievable" by Sean Michel from his Electric Delta album. Visit http://www.electricdelta.net to hear the full song featured in the video for free.
Filmed on location in Nashville
Edited by Jeremy Jettho Thomas (http://www.jettho.com) and Julian David
Produced by Julian David (http://www.juliandavid.org)
2013 - Copyright Audio Engineering Associates
Standard YouTube License
- 59:33 Pensado's Place #85 - Mix Engineer, Mike Shipleyby PensadosPlace Featured 20,087
- 14:32 AEA Fix It In The Mic Nashville - Bil VornDick & Lynn Fustonby AEA Ribbon Mics & Preamps1,376 views
- 13:15 AEA Fix It In The Mic Nashville - Chuck Ainlayby AEA Ribbon Mics & Preamps1,629 views
- 9:48 AEA presents: Ronan Chris Murphy - Recording Tricks & Secretsby AEA Ribbon Mics & Preamps5,993 views
- 10:11 AEA Fix It In The Mic Nashville - Chris Mara & Welcome To 1979by AEA Ribbon Mics & Preamps1,800 views
- 5:38 Dolly Parton and Bud Wentz on Letterman by pukenshette1,043 views
- 1:36 AEA Upright Bass Sessionby AEA Ribbon Mics & Preamps2,510 views
- 0:51 AEA Fix It In The Mic Nashville - TRAILERby AEA Ribbon Mics & Preamps1,939 views
- 27 videos Play all Pianists performing at or recorded by Opus 4 Studiosby opus4
- 47:46 Success Without Stressby BuddhistSocietyWA57,722 views
- 16:02 How to make your own microphone Pop Filterby Scotty D128,211 views
- 7:19 Blackbird Studio Tour with John McBrideby Fuse17,579 views
- 55:57 Death Cab for Cutie in KCRW Studios on Nov. 1, 2011by stonewhitesodelicate42,132 views
- 24:40 ASMR Touching and Brushing the Microphones with Various Objectsby MassageASMR102,987 views
- 5:01 How It's Made - ribbon microphoneby morrisonAV29,154 views
- 6:00 David Gilmour BBC Interview - How he gets his sound - Re-Edited - HDby GilmourTrueHD1,069,156 views
- 7:29 Dark Horse Recording Studioby NashvilleExperience5,651 views
- 4:16 AEA Mics in Session: Any of Both - "Watch You Sleep" (Acoustic)by AEA Ribbon Mics & Preamps6,952 views
- 3:48 AEA Europe Roadtrip - Day 1by AEA Ribbon Mics & Preamps998 views
- 7:58 Dan Needham: Studio Tour of Brownstone Recording, Nashvilleby Vic Firth7,706 views