Super Bowl Commercials of 2013: Do They Reveal A Sick Culture?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jan 30, 2013
Subscribe - http://bit.ly/VUl21B
In the age of the DVR and the internet, Super Bowl Sunday is America's High Holy Day for advertisers. On no other day during the calendar year are more people in the United States sharing in the same common experience. Last year, 71 % of households who had a TV turned on were tuned into the big game. In an age with 9 thousand channels on your boob tube plus the endless nooks and crannies of the Internet, to produce a communal experience like the Super Bowl is a marvel. With so many people watching -- and watching the commercials, what can we learn about ourselves by what advertisers are trying to sell us, and the tactics they use to get us to identify with their brand?
To put it another way, if aliens joined us on Super Bowl Sunday, what would they learn about our culture? Well, for starters, they would lean that we like cars. Almost as much as we like the female form. Not just any female form, mind you, but the kind only a tiny fraction of actual females come by naturally- and the kind a statistically significant of others starve themselves for or undergo surgery to achieve, or both. Based on this metric, who could blame aliens if they placed the average American in 2013 at even par with the Dukes of Hazard on the evolutionary chain. Of course these aliens would also know that we like beer. And Pizza. Enough to support a Papa John Asshat who budgets to give millions of pizza's away every year and advises his franchise owners to keep his employee working less than 30 hours a week so they don't have to incur the costs of chipping in for their medical insurance under Obama care. The aliens would notice, because aliens are smart, smarter than you don't kid yourself, that since all of the ads are pointed at a straight male demographic, that our culture was a patriarchy that regards women as second-class citizens. Since the game itself is a celebration of violence and the metaphor's for wars are numerous and not masked at all, and since the game itself shortens the lives of the participants- the aliens might make the leap to view the national football league, turning -- as it does so artfully- war into a game, as having much in common with the Gladiator games of the Roman Empire. Like the Roman empire- and all empires before and after it, the aliens might surmise, correctly, that the American Empire will one day fall. But since we no longer wage wars with pickaxes and chariots, the American Empire will be the first to fall in the post-nuclear era. But have no fear, because should the American Empire fall in an apocalyptic hail of nuclear weapons, Chevy has already got a truck to sell you.
All this is not to say that I won't be watching the game. I will be, and rooting for the Niners. My name is Dennis, and I am an NFLaholic.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:00 Gay NFL Player in the Super Bowlby Dennis Trainor, Jr19,579 views
- 3:38 Fart in School, Go To Jailby Dennis Trainor, Jr15,991 views
- 3:54 Anonymous To Release Internal Justice Department Memosby Dennis Trainor, Jr2,604 views
- 1:41 Racist VW Super Bowl Commercial? Get Happy Campaign Sparks Controversyby Dennis Trainor, Jr43,423 views
- 11:48 Super Bowl Commercials 2013 - Top 10by Frank Grant Jr.74,011 views
- 9:33 Funny Commercial Compilationby Affan Shah1,522,324 views
- 3:54 The Best Superbowl XLVII Commercial EVERby MomentsWithMe479,404 views
- 1:00:28 Beyonce's Super Bowl 47 Ritual Pepsi & GQ Magazine, Change Proxy Server To View in Blocked Countriesby offthahook0816,970 views
- 16:45 Every Super Bowl 2013 Commercial! Part 1by MrClasssicKxD295,110 views
- 50 videos Play all The Crazy Asian Mom Vlogby Vlogerit
- 13:32 15 Top Super Bowl Commercials of 2013 [With HD Clips]by Rhett & Link 2617,370 views
- 6:59 Funniest Super Bowl Commercials of 2013! (Top 10 super bowl ads) Best 2013by ST's Channel233,823 views
- 13:15 Beyoncé Live at NFL Super Bowl 2013 Halftime Show HD (1080P)by TheBeyShow48,082 views
- 9:28 Top 10 Super Bowl Ads of all time (HD)by TheSuperBowlTV456,532 views
- 8:55 top 10 best commercials of all timeby 12musicvideoguy8,429,883 views
- 5:30 Chevy's Controversial Super Bowl Commercial Mayan Apocalypse Predicts False Flag @ Superdome 2013by Sister Nicole Long3,622 views
- 1:35 Mercedes CLA Super Bowl Ad 2013 "Sexy Car Wash"by automotorundsport610,653 views
- 14:34 BEYONCÉ Super Bowl 2013 Performs HDby BEYONCÉ BEYHIVE ARGENTINA390,389 views
- 2:01:16 Madonna-The Confessions Tourby Coqkee e1,073,067 views
- 10:30 Beyonce Illuminati Ritual At 2013 Super Bowl Exposedby Conspirafied02,267,644 views