Paul Ryan on the steep climb to reclaim the American Idea
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 21, 2010
Madam speaker, there is a lot wrong with this bill
We know the problems with its cost. We know it doesnt really reduce the deficit. We know that it increases health care premiums. The CBO has given us all of this information and its clear that what we have is a bill chock full of gimmicks and hidden mandates.
So Im not going to get into all of that again.
But what I will ask is this: why has this decision become so personal to our constituents? Why are so many people swarming the Capitol over this? Why have we received 100,000 calls an hour from all over the country?
It is because health care affects every one of us. And yet, here we are, debating whether the government should have a bigger role in making those personal decisions.
So make no mistake about it. Were not just here to pass a healthcare bill. We are being asked to make a choice about the future path of this country.
The speakers to my left are correct: this is history. Today marks a major turning point in American history. This is really not a debate about prices, coverage, or choosing doctors.
This is ultimately about what kind of country we are going to be in the 21st century.
America is not just a nationality its not just a mass of land from Hawaii to Maine, from Wisconsin to Florida. America is an idea. Its the most pro-human idea ever designed by mankind.
Our founders got it right, when they wrote in the Declaration of Independence that our rights come from nature and nature's God - - not from government.
Should we now subscribe to an ideology where government creates rights, is solely responsible for delivering these artificial rights, and then systematically rations these rights?
Do we believe that the goal of government is to promote equal opportunity for all Americans to make the most of their lives - - or do we now believe that governments role is to equalize the results of peoples lives?
The philosophy advanced on the floor by the Majority today is so paternalistic, and so arrogant. Its condescending. And it tramples upon the principles that have made America so exceptional.
My friends, we are fast approaching a tipping point where more Americans depend on the federal government than on themselves for their livelihoods -- a point where we, the American people, trade in our commitment and our concern for our individual liberties in exchange for government benefits and dependencies.
More to the point, Madam Speaker, we have seen this movie before, and we know how it ends. The European social welfare state promoted by this legislation is not sustainable.
This is not who we are and it is not who we should become.
As we march toward this tipping point of dependency, we are also accelerating toward a debt crisis a debt crisis that is the result of politicians of the past making promises we simply cannot afford to keep. Déjà vu all over again.
It is unconscionable what we are leaving the next generation.
This moment may mark a temporary conclusion of the health care debate - but its place in history has not yet been decided. If this passes, the quest to reclaim the American idea is not over. The fight to reapply our founding principles is not finished, its just a steeper climb. And it is a climb that we will make.
On this issue - - more than any other issue we have ever seen here - - the American people are engaged. From our town hall meetings, to Scott Browns victory in Massachusetts, you have made your voices heard. And some of us are listening to you.
My colleagues, lets bring down this bill - - and bring back the ideas that made this country great!
Congressman Paul Ryan serves the 1st Congressional District of Wisconsin. For more information please visit:
Standard YouTube License
- 4:01 Obama's Health Plan In 4 Minutesby UpTakeVideoFeatured 140,312
- 8:10 Paul Ryan on MSNBC's Hardball with Chris Matthewsby RepPaulRyan 171,482 views
- 1:04 Paul Ryan uncovers another inconvenient truth in health care billby RepPaulRyan 149,875 views
- 11:01 Paul Ryan raises a point of order: "This bill is the mother of all unfunded mandates"by RepPaulRyan 12,029 views
- 8:52 Paul Ryan speaks out against "The Washington Way"by RepPaulRyan 41,317 views
- Paul Ryan 12,380 videos768
- 4:06 GOP Rep. Paul Ryan Tears Down the ObamaCare Fiscal House of Cardsby FreedomsLighthouse 26,397 views
- 2:53 Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) To Obama: "You're Not Listening" To The People!by Greg Hengler 132,952 views
- 10:48 Paul Ryan's GOP Response to State of the Union 2011by CBSNewsOnline 38,940 views
- 2:23 Paul Ryan Destroys Debbie Wasserman-Schultz in Obamacare Debateby 912erSTL 604,497 views
- 1:13 Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) Rips MSNBC For 'Using Capitalist Rhetoric' To Move Anti-Market Obamacareby Greg Hengler 95,279 views
- 6:07 Rep Paul Ryan - R-WI at Feb 2010 health care summit on CSPAN-3by DanL4236 21,804 views
- 29:33 "A Time for Choosing" by Ronald Reaganby ReaganFoundation 652,268 views
- 10:36 Rep. Paul Ryan Gives Republican Response to State of the Union Addressby PBSNewsHour 67,725 views
- 6:12 Paul Ryan: Hiding Spending Doesn't Reduce Spendingby AmericanRoadmap 1,327,020 views
- 3:02 House Minority leader John Boehner's closing argument against the health care reform billby PBSNewsHour 91,209 views
- 13:43 Paul Ryan on Fox News Sunday with Chris Wallaceby RepPaulRyan 4,074 views
- 5:52 Paul Ryan on MSNBC: "Let's have an honest debate"by RepPaulRyan 82,667 views
- 3:37 Paul Ryan attempts an adult conversation on debt & entitlement reformby RepPaulRyan 609,371 views
- 2:37 Paul Ryan on the real Cost of Obamacareby S955US84 1,369 views
- 3:46 Ryan to Geithner - Why propose a budget you admit is not credible, not sustainable?by RepPaulRyan 142,862 views
- Loading more suggestions...