Oliver McGee - Early Start CNN National 11.12.12
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Dec 4, 2012
Oliver McGee on CNN: Was national security at risk as result of Petraeus affair?
NewYorker.com's Richard Socarides & GOP strategist Oliver McGee on the controversy over fmr. CIA dir. Petraeus's affair.
CIA Director David Patraeus resigned in a statement he released on Friday. The retired four-star general cited an extramarital affair with his one-time biographer Paula Broadwell. The shocking resignation has prompted concerns of a breach of national security among some leaders in Congress. They've also questioned the timing of the resignation. Richard Socarides, fmr. senior adviser to President Clinton and writer with the NewYorker.com, and Oliver McGee, Republican strategist and author of "Jumping the Aisle," join "Early Start" this morning to weigh in on the issue. They also discuss the topic of potential gridlock in Washington and the looming fiscal cliff.
The FBI started investigating the scandal early this summer, yet didn't notify the White House until early this month. "It seems like there was some confusion around exactly what happened and what people were thinking early on," Socarides says. "But it is fairly remarkable that in a situation like this, that the President and the White House would not be told until right before his resignation. And certainly I think the mistake that was made is that Congress ought to be informed at the same time that the senior people on the national security establishment are told."
The Justice Department has said that there was no breach of national security. However, Congressman Peter King has stated that "it just doesn't add up," regarding the timing of events following the investigation and when Congress was notified.
"Essentially, what we're looking at is a question of executive judgment," "Falling on McGee says. "And executive judgment is about empathy, asking proper questions, and ultimately service. And when we look at the service of General Patreaus, he's a war hero." McGee says it is the responsibility of Congress to ask the appropriate questions of General Patreaus with consideration for his personal life and simultaneously ask, "is there really a national security risk associated?" McGee says, "So far, I'm not seeing what I'm seeing right now that there is not."
Full article: http://earlystart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/......
Oliver McGee is author of "Jumping The Aisle"
Standard YouTube License
- 4:39 Oliver McGee on Fox News HQ - Asiana Airlines Crash in San Franciscoby Oliver McGee94 views
- 4:23 Dr Oliver McGee - Speaker Highlight Previewby Oliver McGee93 views
- 3:13 Oliver McGee on CNN: Was national security at risk as result of Petraeus affair?by Oliver McGee116 views
- 12:46 Oliver McGee: Interview with CBS Philly Talk Radio: Why Romney is the right choice for Americaby Oliver McGee42 views
- 14:41 Oliver McGee - Interview with African American Conservatives PART 1 of 2by Oliver McGee49 views
- 6:14 Oliver McGee discusses new book, "Jumping The Aisle" on FOX 5 News WTTG Washington DCby Oliver McGee152 views
- 3:17 CNN BREAKING: New Footage of Paul Walker Dead in Fiery Car Crash #RIPby New Real News98,679 views
- 9:45 Hayworth Discusses Fiscal Cliff on CNN Early Startby friendsofnanhayworth289 views
- 12:53 President Obama is Responsible for the Gridlock in Washington, D.C.by Roy Clinton31 views
- 3:05 Chef Richard Blais on CNN's Starting Pointby Baltz & Company177 views
- 4:10 Congresswoman Hayworth Joins CNN Early Startby friendsofnanhayworth472 views
- 1:57 Oliver McGee on Fox Business Varney & Co January 28, 2013by Oliver McGee70 views
- 25:19 Desde la sombra (E55). Barack Obama: Los puntos oscurosby RT en Español15,492 views
- 8:54 Oliver Weight Final Senior Highlightsby OliverWeight75 views
- 12:46 FSL 12th National Congress - Congress Proper Part 1 (05-26-12)by Scintilla Legis19 views
- 4:20 The "miserable" situation in Tacloban, Philippinesby CNN553,256 views
- 9:19 Jon Stewart Open Fire Obama and Mayor Rob Ford - To day (14th November 2013)by New Update With More Detaile778,828 views
- 1:54 The New Yorker - Oliverby lookingbackfarm507 views
- 0:40 Obama's Buffalo Fail CONFUSIONby Most Amazing Videos on the Web46 views
- 10:16 FSL 12th National Congress - Congress Proper Part 2 (05-26-12)by Scintilla Legis22 views
- Loading more suggestions...