The Tradition of Sacred Music
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 20, 2012
The conference "James MacMillan and the Musical Modes of Mary and the Cross" was organized by Margot Fassler, Keough-Hesburgh Professor of Music History and Liturgy, and Carmen-Helena Téllez, professor of music to coincide with the celebration of the feast of Our Lady of Sorrows, the patronal feast and 175th anniversary of the founding of the Congregation of Holy Cross, It brought together composers, conductors, and scholars of sacred music to discuss, share and perform their work. Among them were the Scottish composer and conductor MacMillan, the former conductor of the BBC Philharmonic orchestra who had composed the music for Pope Benedict's 2010 visit to England.
Complementing the conference's academic and specialized panels and workshops on the composition, analysis and conducting of sacred music. There were several public events accessible to all music lovers, among them a Thursday evening Vespers service in the Basilica of the Sacred Heart included the voices of the South Bend Chamber Singers performing MacMillan's "Magnificat"; a Friday night Sacred Camber Recital with music faculty organists Craig Cramer and Paul Walker and baritone Stephen Lancaster in the Reyes Choral and Organ Hall of the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center; a performance of Renaissance music for the feast of the Seven Sorrows of the Blessed Virgin Mary given by Pomerium, the New York-based a cappella ensemble, and the world premiere of MacMillan's "Cum Vidisset Jesus," a commissioned motet dedicated to the Sisters of the Holy Cross, followed by his cantata, "The Seven Last Words from the Cross," performed by Aguavá New Music Studio and the Notre Dame Festival Chorus and Orchestra under the direction of Carmen-Helena Téllez in the Leighton Concert Hall.
"Master of Sacred Music":http://theology.nd.edu/graduate-progr...
Standard YouTube License
- 1:02:19 Musical Rapture - A Sacred Gift of Celestial Music-Frederic Delarueby Linda DS Featured 1,914,568
- 2:06:55 The God Debate II: Harris vs. Craigby NDdotEDU741,515 views
- 4:10 ND in Dublin: The Fighting Irish Come Homeby NDdotEDU9,168 views
- 1:16 ND in Dublin: Rolling out the Green Carpet at O'Connell Houseby NDdotEDU7,710 views
- 6:50 Chinese Speech Contest 2010by NDdotEDU6,810 views
- 1:01:41 Saturdays with the Saints -"St. Hildegard of Bingen: 35th Doctor of the Church" by Margot Fasslerby ICLnotredame1,035 views
- 1:40:22 Georg Frideric Handel (1685) - Sacred Musicby IlProf195817,405 views
- 58:47 Nothing More Beautiful 504: A Concert of Sacred Musicby Salt and Light5,382 views
- 47:37 MacMillan Seven Last Words from the Crossby atsusiueno6,207 views
- 7:26 Craig Cramer plays two Fritts Pipe Organsby pipe-organ17,621 views
- 2:34:15 Carlos Kleiber: Carmen (Bizet) Vienna Opera, 1978 (complete)by Volodya562,592 views
- 3:46 El Compa Sacra, El Ultimo Razo - El Aguila Y El Cuervoby NoeExclusivesMusic126,131 views
- 2:31 Cristóbal de Morales - Circumdederunt meby Peicherss6,008 views
- 13:55 Magnificat / James MacMillan / South Bend Chamber Singersby sbcssaintmarys919 views
- 5:39 Notre Dame's MSM and DMA in Organ with Paul Walkerby sacredmusicND721 views
- 5:29 James MacMillan: Strathclyde Motets: Dominus dabit benignitatem (Psalm 85,13)by sirventesberlin1,880 views
- 2:18:58 ♫ 2 HORAS ♫ Mozart para Bebés - Música Clásica - Larga Duración - Dormir y calmar #by lunacreciente4,679,550 views
- 5:35 Ade - Pomeriumby Ade Legions3,030 views
- 16:53 Frans de Waal: Moral behavior in animalsby TED375,296 views
- 10:01 Fr. Lane Akiona SS.CC. Priestby Ian Carnegie218 views
- Loading more suggestions...