Historic land rights march in India
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 19, 2012
Ekta Parishad (www.ektaparishad.com), is a non-violent social movement in India working on land and forest rights for adivashis, dalits and all marginalized communities over the last 20 years. The movement includes over 200 organizations, and Oxfam is proud to be one of them.
Based on the experience of land march in 2007, the current land rights campaign known as the Jan Satyagraha, begun on 2nd October 2011 from Kanyakumari (southernmost tip of India) and has covered 350 districts in 24 states of India. The march engaged a critical number of organizations and individuals for a collective action on 2nd October 2012, which saw approximately 100,000 people marching from Gwalior (near Taj mahal) to Delhi (350 kilometers).
The focus of the entire action is to bring people's voices for a 'National Land Reforms Act & Policy' as a broad framework and means of land re-distribution to the landless and homeless poor. This action is supported by more than 2,000 social organizations - including Oxfam - engaged in raising the voices for the deprived people.
Over the past year Ekta Parishad has had more than 24 rounds of dialogue with the Government of India, at various levels, to pursue the National Land Reforms Policy, and Legislation for Securing Homestead and Agricultural Land to the landless and homeless poor.
A few days after this film was made, the Government of India met people's demands and signed an agreement with Ekta Parishad in Agra in front of 50,000 people.
Representative of Government of India and responsible minister for Land reforms Issues, Mr Jairam Ramesh came down to Agra on 11th October to make the Declaration & Commitment of the government. Movements all over the world are making change happen.
Join the campaign: http://www.oxfam.org/landgrabs
Standard YouTube License
- 31:24 Zimbabwe's Land Reform: Myths and Realitiesby Nzwamba5,557 views
- 57:10 India Interacts - Future of Economic Reforms in Indiaby Rajya Sabha TV734 views
- 56:53 War of 1812 in the Old Northwestby WGTE On Demand12,282 views
- 37:13 Agrarian Reform for Food Sovereighty (Full Version)by Kurt Orderson262 views
- 11:24 Land Law - Co-ownership 1 - Severance Part 1by Law Sessions1,835 views
- 16:20 Land Law - Unregistered and Registered Land Principles Part 1by Law Sessions3,196 views
- 9:17 Vaishnava Jan to - Riyaaz Qawwaliby Riyaaz Qawwali94,651 views
- 25:49 india vs sa 1odi 5 dec 2013 full highlightsby ahmed baumran4,126 views
- 15:55 July 4, 1999 - The Day Clinton Stopped Pakistan from Nuking indiaby Brannon Parker398,580 views
- 49:53 Land Property Rights: The Key to India's Futureby The Heritage Foundation255 views
- 12:13 Land Law Easements Pt 1by Jennifer Housen1,258 views
- 9:52 India: A place, a sensation (part 2/3)by New Atlantis Full Documentaries3,679,289 views
- 18:06 2012: LAW OF THE LAND, SEA & COSMOS REVEALEDby paradoxman3162,891 views
- 5:17 "Land reforms were essential for development in Kerala."by RainmakerIndia795 views
- 3:26 Australia's Carbon Tax Introduced By The Gillard Government 'C Day' - New Tax On Australiansby Jason Active273 views
- 13:48 The broken food system in India (full version)by Oxfam GB3,095 views
- 2:56 Plans for International Airport Evicts Local Families-IndiaUnheardby VideoVolunteers1,335 views
- 18:44 Right to land - Right of men and women: experiences with paralegals in Mozambiqueby Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN1,040 views
- 24:45 Coelho's Land - Brazilby Journeyman Pictures1,866 views
- 12:13 Land Law - Easements Part 1by Law Sessions3,483 views
- Loading more suggestions...