This video is unavailable.
Blues Is Hurting - Brian Blain live in Toronto 2006
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 30, 2008
Brian Blain performing at at the "Hi-Tech Blues Revue" with Victor Bateman (bass), Michelle Josef (drums), Pat Carey (sax) and the late Rod Phillips on organ. A recent review from The Blues Ambassador (Michigan) described Brian as "Kind of John Hartford meets Steve Goodman meets the Red Clay Ramblers meets J.J. Cale..." Mose Allison, Randy Newman and David Bromberg are also often cited in the "if you like" department.
"Blues Is Hurting" illustrates Brian's wry humour coming from the unique point of view as someone who works behind the scenes as well as in the limelight. His 1973 release of "The Story of the Magic Pick" (GoodNoise/Polydor), and his 1999 indie release "Who Paid You To Give Me The Blues?" gave us a running commentary on the music business and his current release "Overqualified For the Blues" provides more tongue-in-cheek tunes like "One More Weasel" and "No More Meetings" chronicling the ups and downs of life in the music business. The "Magic Pick" featured an all-star cast including members of Frank Zappa's Mothers of Invention and the Manhattan Transfer, Tom "Bones" Malone of the Blues Brothers band and legendary Derek and the Dominoes drummer Jim Gordon who co-wrote "Layla" with Eric Clapton.
Since arriving in Toronto in 1990, Brian started out performing locally as a solo artist, occasionally teaming up with Scott "Professor Piano" Cushnie, Suzie Vinnick or Paul Reddick and he even had the opportunity to play gigs with blues greats Gene Taylor of the Fabulous Thunderbirds and the late Long John Baldry. In November 2007, he completed a 3-week German tour with Baldry's long-time musical partner, Kathi McDonald (also known for her vocals with Mad Dogs & Englishmen, Leon Russell, Robben Ford, Big Brother and the Holding Company and the Rolling Stones).
His year-long residency at Toronto's Tranzac Club featured a succession of Canada's greatest blues artists, Morgan Davis, Michael Pickett, Carlos del Junco, Madagascar Slim, Papa John King, Paul Reddick, Rick Zolkower, Jake Chisholm, Scott Cushnie, Julian Fauth, David Rotundo, Suzie Vinnick, Tracy K, Kim Doolittle, Eve Goldberg, Daisy DeBolt, Margaret Stowe, Madagascar Slim, Donne Roberts, Michal Hasek, Michael Jerome Browne, Victor Bateman, Howard Willett, Papa John King, Carlos del Junco, Rod Phillips, Lorraine Ingle, Tony Quarrington, Robert Chorney, Tannis Slimmon, Dylan Wickens, Rodney Brown, Doc McLean, Raoul Bhaneja, Mark Sepic, Don Bray, Lance Anderson, Eddie Baltimore, Joe Burns, Gary Kendall, Doctor Nick, Brent Titcomb, Barry Mack and many others. His after-hours blues jam at the 2005 Toronto Downtown Jazz festival had jazz stars Antonio Hart, Russell Malone and Roy Hargrove sitting in.
Brian records for the Northern Blues label, one of the most adventurous labels in the blues world with such diverse artists as Chris Beard, Kevin Breit, Taxi Chain, James Cohen, Doug Cox & Sam Hurrie, Archie Edwards, Glamourpuss, David Jacobs-Strain, John & the Sisters, Carlos del Junco, Johnny Jones, JW Jones, Janiva Magness, Harry Manx, NorthernBlues Gospel Allstars, Paul Reddick, Mem Shannon, Otis Taylor, Dan Treanor & Frankie Lee, Eddie Turner, Toni Lynn Washington, Watermelon Slim and tribute albums for Gordon Lightfoot and Neil Young.
Standard YouTube License
- 10:07 African Blues Trio Jamby jianferguson 4,465 views
- 9:58 Colorblind Brian and the New Blainettes at Toronto Jazz Festby brian blain 2,403 views
- 5:33 The Fathead Blues Band LIVE 2010 Beaches Jazz Festival Torontoby Dragan Kudjerski 2,663 views
- 9:40 20091112b Montreal, Downchild Blues Band, Bob Walsh, Jonas, James Cottonby aildoux 8,557 views
- 4:46 Last Time I Saw Lenny - Brian Blain at Winterfolkby brian blain 3,578 views
- 7:18 forgotten8.movby brian blain 626 views
- 8:35 "Missing The Good and The Bad" - Shakura S'aida with the Maple Blues Bandby Mako Funasaka 2,670 views
- 3:59 Another Song About Alice - Brian Blainby brian blain 882 views
- 7:32 Gentle on my mind -Tribute- Long Live Version-John Hartfordby jO6pac 93,507 views
- 6:09 Layla Zoe sings Little Red Roosterby Brandon Santana 5,093 views
- 5:35 "Soaring" - Downchildby Mako Funasaka 13,384 views
- 3:44 THE ROAD-The Hurtin Blues Duo at Porquis Blues Festival 2005by 1leonbass 717 views
- 9:49 20091112a Montreal, Colin Linden, Downchild Blues Bandby aildoux 1,815 views
- 4:59 Watermelon Slim - Smokestack Lightningby Sp33dBr33d 211,985 views
- 5:40 BigRudeJake set2 5 Music in the Streetby stereodada 410 views
- 4:55 "Waffle House Blues" - Morgan Davisby Mako Funasaka 7,371 views
- 4:33 Forgotten - Brian Blain at Winterfolkby brian blain 425 views
- 5:10 The Maple Blues Revue featuring Dawn Tyler Watsonby jimcasson 5,556 views
- 6:55 THE BLAZERS - I'm A Man - LIVE!!! ROCK & ROLL HEAVEN - TORONTO, ONTARIO - MARCH 2009by Blazersvideos 2,948 views
- 3:14 Brian Blain and Allan Fraser Yellow Door 2011by brian blain 631 views
- Loading more suggestions...