- Startups : Naval Ravikant of AngelList - TWiST #244
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 6, 2012
1:00-2:00 Hi everyone, we're excited to have Naval Ravikant, the co-founder of AngelList, with us on the program today.
2:00-3:00 How many people have raised money on AngelList?
3:00-4:45 When did the first A round get done on AngelList?
4:45-6:15 So you think moderate success is the hard part?
6:15-8:45 What's an actual, true overnight success?
8:45-11:45 What do you think when you hear a story of someone like OMGPOP?
11:45-12:15 Would AngelList have worked ten years ago? What were your prior attempts?
12:15-14:30 How do you respond to the critique that weak companies are getting funded and there are too many startups?
14:30-17:00 Thank you to LiquidWeb for supporting TWiST! Show you appreciate them backing independent media by tweeting thanks to @LiquidWeb!
17:00-19:15 So, when a lot of people follow a company but they don't close the round, how does the entrepreneur take that?
19:15-20:00 So people are raising money from folks like Dave McClure?
20:00-23:00 As an angel, what should I be doing? Should I join a VC firm?
23:00-25:00 There are people who call themselves broker and will help you make deals. Is this normal?
25:00-27:30 How do you respond to VCs who have tried to paint you in a negative light? What are the criticisms?
27:30-31:00 So Obama's jobs act passed this week. What impact do you think that will have?
31:00-34:30 I saw that Democrats were fighting this citing fears that people will get scammed. Is that a valid concern?
34:30-35:30 If you could raise a million dollars every year, you could essentially fund a Facebook-like company within a few years.
35:30-37:00 Is there a bubble in the angel space?
37:00-41:45 Thank you to Walker Corporate Law for their support! Thank them @ScottEdWalker!
41:45-43:30 So how does the stock market affect things?
43:30-43:45 Do you think you're creating more angel investors?
45:45-48:30 What do you think the impact of the Facebook IPO will be?
48:30-50:00 Do you think Kickstarter is going to start taking equity?
50:00-55:00 Aside from disrupting the space and helping entrepreneurs, what is AngelList in the business of?
55:00-56:00 If you force CEOs to take ownership of recruiting instead of outsourcing it, you get better results.
56:00-58:00 What's your advice for someone who wants to put a company on the site?
58:00-59:30 How big is your team now?
59:30-1:03:00 What's your goal in life now?
1:03:00-1:05:00 Is being a billionaire a goal for you?
1:05:00-1:06:45 Do you know what the SEC thinks of AngelList?
1:06:45-1:10:15 Have you had any bad experiences with VCs? What's the worst story you've ever heard about a VC interaction?
1:10:15-1:12:30 What do you think of the space we're in now? What does the future hold?
1:12:30-1:13:15 Naval, this conversation has been so amazing. Thank you so much for coming on the program. We'll see you all next time!
Support This Week in Startups and independent media by joining the TWiST Producer Program at TwistList.co!
Multilingual? Translate this episode of TWiST into another language and email the transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org
Keep up with the latest from our sister company, LAUNCH: LAUNCH Education & Kids, June 12 and 13 LAUNCH Festival Wrap-up: Winners, Investments and More Where Over $1M in LAUNCH Festival Prize Money is Going LAUNCH Festival 2012 Winners Who Launched at the 2012 LAUNCH Festival
FOLLOW ON TWITTER
Next in - Startups: Season 3
- 1:23:56 - Startups - News with Sean Percival and James Altucher - TWiST #223by This Week In Startups3,376 views
- 1:19:49 - Venture Capital - Babak Nivi & Naval Ravikant of Angel List; Jody Sherman, founder of EcoMomby This Week In Startups7,078 views
- 1:23:42 - Startups - News Panel with Jason Nazar and Marshall Kirkpatrick - TWiST #246by This Week In Startups3,188 views
- 7:08 Naval Ravikant: The Secret To AngelList's Successby PandoDaily945 views
- 2:03:53 PandoMonthly: Fireside Chat With AngelList Co-Founder Naval Ravikantby PandoDaily5,566 views
- 2:02 Bessemer oilfield engine startup after 50+ yearsby AntiqueEngineNut22,470 views
- 1:23:58 Guy Kawasaki: The Top 10 Mistakes of Entrepreneursby UCBerkeleyHaas172,514 views
- 25:25 Naval Ravikant (Angel List) at Startup Grind 2013by StartupGrind410 views
- 1:37:20 - Startups - Eric Ries of Lean Startup - TWiST #199by This Week In Startups26,617 views
- 54:14 Startup Grind feat Naval Ravikantby VaporwareLabs1,706 views
- 44:11 Ambition. Discipline. Purpose. The Journey of Being an Entrepreneur with Gurbaksh Chahalby University of California Television (UCTV)28,576 views
- 28:32 The Silicon Valley Entrepreneur - Advice for Today's High Tech Startupby KMVT8,838 views
- 1:05:56 Top 10 Mistakes Made by Entrepreneursby stanfordbusiness371,071 views
- 1:12:58 - Startups - Chamath Palihapitiya of The Social+Capital Partnership - TWiST #238by This Week In Startups10,516 views
- 19:53 How AngelList Connects Startups and Investors - Ash Fontana // Startup Elementsby Rock Health1,334 views
- 1:23:38 - Startups - TWiST Santiago, Chile Meetup- TWiST #200by This Week In Startups3,247 views
- 1:19:22 - Startups - Kevin Rose of Milk - TWiST #218by This Week In Startups18,345 views
- 53:14 - Startups - Fred Wilson of Union Square Ventures - TWiST #161by This Week In Startups12,211 views
- 1:24:40 - Startups - News Panel with Rafe Needleman and Peter Horan - TWiST #213by This Week In Startups3,257 views