World Peace and other 4th-Grade Achievements Extended Trailer
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 7, 2010
World Peace...and other 4th-grade achievements interweaves the story of John Hunter, a teacher in Charlottesville, Virginia, with his students' participation in an exercise called the World Peace Game. The game triggers an eight-week transformation of the children from students of a neighborhood public school to citizens of the world. The film reveals how a wise, loving teacher can unleash students' full potential.
The film traces how Hunter's unique teaching career emerges from his own diverse background. An African-American educated in the segregated schools of rural Virginia, where his mother was his 4th grade teacher, he was selected by his community to be one of seven students to integrate a previously all-white middle school. After graduation, he traveled extensively to China, Japan, and India, and his exposure to the Ghandian principles of non-violence led him to ask what he could do as a teacher to work toward a more peaceful world.
Hunter teaches the concept of peace not as a utopian dream but as an attainable goal to strive for, and he provides his students with the tools for this effort. The children learn to collaborate and communicate with each other as they work to resolve the Game's conflicts. They learn how to compromise while accommodating different perspectives and interests. Most importantly, the students discover that they share a deep and abiding interest in taking care of each other. World Peace....and other 4th-grade achievements will inspire others by documenting the unheralded work of a true peacemaker.
The World Peace Game is a hands-on political simulation that gives players the opportunity to explore the connectedness of the global community through the lens of the economic, social, and environmental crises and the imminent threat of war. The goal of the game is to extricate each country from dangerous circumstances and achieve global prosperity with the least amount of military intervention. As "nation teams," students will gain greater understanding of the critical impact of information and how it is used.
As their teams venture further into this interactive social setting laced with highly charged philosophical issues, the skills needed to identify ambiguity and bias in the information they receive will be enhanced and more specifically they will rapidly perceive that reactive behavior not only provokes antagonism, it can leave them alone and isolated in the face of powerful enemies. Beliefs and values will evolve or completely unravel as they begin to experience the positive impact and windows of opportunity that emerge through effective collaboration and refined communication.
In essence, as meaning is constructed out of chaos and new creative solutions are proposed, the World Peace Game players will learn to live and work comfortably at the frontiers of the unknown.
Standard YouTube License
- 17:27 WARNING: THIS STORY WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFEby Kirk MurrayFeatured 3,903,032
- 4:07 WHERE GOOD IDEAS COME FROM by Steven Johnsonby Riverhead Books 2,951,471 views
- 3:02 World Peace and other 4th-Grade Achievements Trailerby World Peace...and other 4th-Grade Achievements 21,148 views
- 9:47 Gracie Bullyproof - Prepare Your Child for Lifeby Gracie Academy Videos 465,503 views
- 2:15 Faking it: How introverts succeedby CNN 78,184 views
- 11:46 popular 4th grade makeup tutorialby TheSk8ter24 121,419 views
- 4:31 Let There Be Peace on Earthby AngelLove831's channel 232,347 views
- 1:20:21 A Talk for World Peaceby Dalai Lama 60,621 views
- 2:00 The Five Love Languages of Childrenby MoodyPro 14,654 views
- 23:32 gcLi Leadership Edge :: EPISODE :: John Hunter, Creator World Peace Gameby gcliLeadership 172 views
- 6:22 Master Class with John Hunter: Mondayby Reflect Renew Risk 437 views
- 6:11 Only Love can bring World Peaceby The New Kadampa Tradition - International Kadampa Buddhist Union 3,321 views
- 4:59 Take Charge For World Peaceby jayden777 6,296 views
- 3:10 No Wars Will Stop Us Singing - World Peace Day - Full Version with Lyricsby iamatissue 36,818 views
- 8:40 Peace for Kidsby dark007a 5,192 views
- 9:48 The Real Deal About World Peace - by unASLEEPby Unasleep 9,936 views
- 10:40 RSA Animate - The Empathic Civilisationby The RSA 2,111,783 views
- 25:30 A Message Of Hope - EducateInspireChangeby KashKhanTV 3,414 views
- 15:05 Steve Jobs' 2005 Stanford Commencement Addressby Stanford University 17,119,151 views
- 1:26 Peace Educationby Nicole Kallmeyer 5,019 views
- Loading more suggestions...